Griffin to release iTalk - iPod voice recorder | iLounge News

Griffin to release iTalk - iPod voice recorder

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Monday, November 24, 2003
News Categories: iPod Accessories

Based on my conversations with a Griffin Technology representative at the Mac Expo London, I have discovered Griffin Technology is about to release a new product, called the iTalk. The iTalk is to be a device similar to Belkin’s Voice Recorder, but with more advanced functionality.

Well as you all know i was at the Mac Expo today and spoke to loads of people there. One very interesting conversation was with a man who works for Griffin Technology. He had flown in to show off some of Griffin’s great products, such as the Powermate, iTrip, and the Best of Show RadioShark, which allows you to record radio and schedule the recording of radio shows.

One thing I spoke to him about was upcoming products, which after some prodding, he told me about.

Announcing, the Griffin Technology iTalk!

The iTalk is a device that works in the same way as the Belkin voice recorder for the iPod, but with the following advantages:

• Better looking and integrated with iPod

• Better quality microphone for recording

• Better quality speaker for playback

• Microphone Passthrough connector to connect a high-quality external mic.

• Headphone Passthrough connector to listen to recordings through headphones.

He didn’t say when the product was to be released, but my impression was that it is most definitely going to be released sometime soon.

Now I think this addresses all of the problems that people have had with the Belkin version, so we should all be glad! By the way, he did say that Griffin had been working with Apple to create this product.

• « iTrip Station Locator Launched

Using iTunes to obtain new songs on greatest hits collections »

Comments

I wonder if this will be one of the ‘surprises’ for the day-after-thanksgiving sale mentioned in an earlier news posting…

Posted by Sean on November 24, 2003 at 8:54 AM (PDT)

If it takes as long as the 2nd gen iTrip took, this is many months from shipping.  Don’t hold out for Christmas if all we get from Griffin is “Coming Soon” or “Winter 2003”.

Posted by John on November 24, 2003 at 12:57 PM (PDT)

Griffin makes great products but is lousy at delivering them, I wonder if we can expect to see this before the summer?
    I don’t doubt that this will be much better/cheaper than the Belkin one, Belkin’s products are always overpriced.

Posted by Ray on November 24, 2003 at 2:20 PM (PDT)

now, we just need a griffin made, smaller, media reader competitor wink

Posted by Nathan Adams on November 24, 2003 at 6:25 PM (PDT)

What’s with all the Griffin ###-kissing, really?

Posted by Bademeister on November 24, 2003 at 6:34 PM (PDT)

Did you see that?! It has a passthrough for an external mic! Yipee!

Now, i wonder if it will record with a better sample rate, preferably in an uncompressed format like WAV and in stereo.

Posted by ILoveMusic on November 25, 2003 at 12:42 PM (PDT)

I’m not operating on all cylinders at the moment, but that doesn’t make much sense to me.  The Belkin voice recorder sux, and if it is also overprised, then how can the Griffin product with the features listed above not be much better?  Only if the Griffin is significantly more expensive than the Belkin might that be true, otherwise it looks like the Griffin will be much better.

Posted by Byron on November 25, 2003 at 3:30 PM (PDT)

You can order iTalk now.  Shipping with begin in 2007.

Posted by Obadiah on November 25, 2003 at 4:54 PM (PDT)

damn! i only kindof just got the belkin mic…not opened, not even delivered as theyve missed me so i may send it back and wait

Posted by silver_haze20 on November 26, 2003 at 7:41 AM (PDT)

didn’t it ever occur to anyone that this is NOT announced yet? And that maybe the reason it’s not announced is becuase its not ready to ship? Why in the world would you criticize Griffin for not shipping a product that’s not even announced! Rumors SUCK… and this is why…

Posted by elmer on November 26, 2003 at 10:05 AM (PDT)

bOO yaa!  I dont care I dont care I will place my order for 2010 and take a number.  belkins recorders bl_ws!  I cant wait to be bootlegging shows direct onto my ipod ya’ll.  big up griffin!  muchos thank yous’.  if you need testers email me at my secret address which you dont have.

Posted by North Coast Johnny on November 27, 2003 at 6:38 AM (PDT)