Griffin unveils Chameleon Cases for iPod mini | iLounge News

Griffin unveils Chameleon Cases for iPod mini

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, July 20, 2005
News Categories: iPod Accessories

Griffin Technology has announced its new line of Chameleon cases for the iPod mini. Made of a “sturdy dense polyvinyl material” that is “much tougher than regular silicone cases,” the Chameleon cases offer all-around protection, play-through Click Wheel protection, and come in 16 unique designs—from wood to watermelon. They’re priced at $14.99 each and come with a belt clip and 21-inch lanyard.

“Chameleon cases for iPod are unlike anything that has been seen before for iPod,” says Griffin. “Through a new breakthrough process, full color artwork is integrated into the polyvinyl Chameleon case, with stunning results. There is no comparison between Chameleon Cases and the thin sticker products currently available.”

image

« Mix: iPod domination, White PSP, Gameboy emulator, What’s next

iLounge EIC Horwitz on Your Mac Life radio tonight »

Comments

Looks Intresting!

Posted by Anton Jancin on July 20, 2005 at 9:58 PM (PDT)

If only they made these for ipod photos..

Posted by Mike Bargo on July 20, 2005 at 11:08 PM (PDT)

dang i had my hopes up for about 5 minutes until i realized that it was only!! for the Mini. i hope soon there will be some for 4gen and 4.5gen.

Posted by craiger in IL on July 20, 2005 at 11:19 PM (PDT)

Lil FYI when i went to the checkout it had me rung up for an iTrip Mini… WTF?!?

Posted by AZ on July 21, 2005 at 12:02 AM (PDT)

Hmmm, looks interesting, though didn’t see anything about screen protection and I’d like to see some “in the flesh” photos.

Also, does anyone know what “Includes belt clip dock for easy on/off access” means? Is this the Apple belt clip that comes with the Mini?

Posted by Finn in Further north than you'd believe on July 21, 2005 at 4:10 AM (PDT)

Man, what happened to Griffin? I thought they are the foremost innovators for iPod accessories… Why another me too product? Duds after duds lately.

Posted by Mandala on July 21, 2005 at 5:37 AM (PDT)

Took me a few minutes before I realized it was just a big sticker…  a thick rubber sticker with nonsensical graphics.  For a company that has “Technology” in their name, they seem to have precious little.

Posted by Paul on July 21, 2005 at 6:18 AM (PDT)

Where’s the Smartdeck griffin?????? You guys are seriously slacking! Q2 2005 indeed. HMPF!

Posted by Walter on July 21, 2005 at 6:52 AM (PDT)

If it’s stronger that the silicone sleeves, then why not?

I like the black ones. I’d have to see them in person though.

Posted by Nagromme on July 21, 2005 at 10:38 AM (PDT)

I think these look cool. Plus, you guys are harsh. Just because Griffin is a “technology” company, doesn’t mean they can’t make anything but little gadgets.

I already purchased the green apple one—kind of reminds me of the Apple Records logo.

Fishes,
narco.

Posted by narco on July 21, 2005 at 1:04 PM (PDT)

The innovators have become the imitators I see

Posted by Bill Bryson on July 21, 2005 at 2:02 PM (PDT)

I really hate companies who get you excited about a new product only to find out that it does not actually exist. I really wish iPod lounge and sites like it would verify that a product they are providing space for is not, at the time of publication, a figment of someone’s imagination.

My friend and I went to order Chameleon cases today, got all the way to the end of the order process, only to be told they don’t have any to sell…very frustrating!!! Called and was told 3 weeks or so for this case…well, given their history with Smartdeck (they said Q2 2005) and other items I finally am fed up with blindly ordering like this. Not a smart way to treat customers…

Posted by Alex on July 21, 2005 at 3:31 PM (PDT)

Griffin is following in the footsteps of case companies who have done it better.

Go to http://www.sina.com and http://www.alibaba.com enter ipod and you will get products direct from China.  Most of the products you see in the USA come from China with a serious mark up.

Posted by Lee on July 21, 2005 at 8:50 PM (PDT)

Alex-
I just ordered one and didn’t get that same message and I think someone else mentioned ordering one too. I wonder what’s up with that? Hope I didn’t just give out my card info with no product in sight.

Posted by Sarah on July 21, 2005 at 9:30 PM (PDT)

Has anyone gotten the Chameleon case yet? How is the screen protection and how well does the scroll whell work with the case on?

Posted by Stacey on July 22, 2005 at 9:12 PM (PDT)

Hey does anyone knowwhen these are coming to the UK?

Posted by Chris on July 23, 2005 at 3:38 PM (PDT)