Griffin unveils iVault for iPod Shuffle | iLounge News

Griffin unveils iVault for iPod Shuffle

pic Griffin Technology and designer Greg Gutierrez today announced the iVault aluminum case for the iPod shuffle. Gutierrez (aka “Helixipod”), who first showed the case on the iLounge forums, has partnered with Griffin to sell and distribute the case in the US.

“Machined entirely out of aluminum, the iVault safely encloses your iPod shuffle, while still allowing total access to the control wheel, audio jack, on switch, USB port, and LED. The front and back halves of the case are joined together by 4 small screws, so your iPod shuffle is guaranteed to be secure. Lightweight yet strong, the iVault and the iPod shuffle together weigh less than 1.5 ounces.”

The iVault comes in four colors — silver, blue, red and purple — and will ship with a USB cable to sync/charge your iPod shuffle without removing it from the case. The iVault is scheduled to be available in May for $29.99.

« iPod shuffle clone tweaked, renamed ‘Super Tangent’

Hilton debuts iPod-compatible alarm clock, Apple sweepstakes »

Comments

And now we know…

I can’t tell from the pictures. Any chance of using third-party headphones with it? Does it still attach with screws in the back?

Posted by mattwardfh in Texas on March 29, 2005 at 4:20 PM (CST)

Posted by alta59 in US on March 29, 2005 at 4:24 PM (CST)

I like it, almost makes me want another iPod :) Better colors than Apple’s Mini colors too.

Posted by Nagromme on March 29, 2005 at 4:50 PM (CST)

But I’d pay another $10 for the ability to connect directly to a USB port without bringing a cable, the way the Shuffle alone does. More useful as a keychain drive, and one less item of clutter on your desktop.

I can think of a couple cool mechanical mechanisms:

1. Press a release and the Shuffle slides down in the case “spring loaded” and locks into the new position with the USB plug now sticking out. When done, hold the release and push the plug back in, charging the spring for next time.

2. Bottom “cap” area is in two halves like an insect’s jaws, that fold away to the sides to reveal the plug.

3. USB port replicator built into case—one that pivots out for use.

Any of those would actually be BETTER than Apple’s solution, which involves a separate cap to lose.

Posted by Nagromme on March 29, 2005 at 4:59 PM (CST)

Helixipod - Congrats!  Im so happy for you!  It is awesome to see such progression as this come to reality!

Posted by Mijman2 on March 29, 2005 at 5:15 PM (CST)

NICE!!!!!!!!

Only one request: How about a ‘rubber-like’ endcap? Attached as on smaller digital cameras.

Posted by Spot on March 29, 2005 at 5:30 PM (CST)

So I guess we can kiss the idea that those cases were ever going to get manufactured for the 3g goodbye, since none of the major manufacturers ever care about supporting a past product. Too bad.

Posted by Prudence in Somerville, MA on March 29, 2005 at 8:03 PM (CST)

Not sure what you mean. There are many 3G-only cases, and many that are for 3G and 4G equally.

Posted by Nagromme on March 29, 2005 at 8:08 PM (CST)

All of these cases being introduced for the iPod Shuffle…I really don’t see the point. I’ve had my shuffle for a little over a week now, and it’s not anywhere near as delicate as my 60GB iPod photo.  IMO, it’s a waste of money!

Posted by jcs in USA on March 29, 2005 at 8:13 PM (CST)

Im glad Hexipod got his buisness going! i really would have liked one for my 4g photo but well..we will see what happens in the future..

Posted by Dawn Marie in New York City on March 29, 2005 at 8:38 PM (CST)

Holy CRAP! A development deal with GRIFFIN!! That’s AWESOME!!!

Posted by Joshdude in Long Beach, CA on March 29, 2005 at 9:21 PM (CST)

why aren’t there more cases like this for the full ipod? the shuffles are pretty durable as it is!!!

Posted by tumblingwall in u.s. on March 29, 2005 at 9:23 PM (CST)

this case is spectacular…

Posted by petro on March 30, 2005 at 12:24 AM (CST)

Spot, Great idea! I would love to see a rubbe-type cap for the USB port as well. Griffin, how about it?

Posted by AppleFreak on March 30, 2005 at 12:52 AM (CST)

Awesome case, and awesome price. The fact that is comes with the USB cable is even better. I’m definately going to get one. I’d much rather use this one than have to take the shuffle out everytime I want to sync it.. (magnetic one)

Posted by Kloan in Toronto, ON on March 30, 2005 at 2:24 AM (CST)

What I mean, Nagromme, is that this is a great case and all, and I’m psyched for Helixipod getting his idea put into production with his name all over it. But he ALSO had a sweet 3g case that was the best thing I’d really ever seen in the way of metal for it, and I suspect that it won’t go into production. After all, how many other new cases have you seen this month for a 3g iPod? And I mean, specific to it, holes in the right place, etc.

Posted by Prudence in Somerville, MA on March 30, 2005 at 5:42 AM (CST)

Congrats must go to Helixipod. Getting a deal with a big accessory company like Griffin - well done.

Posted by iPodNod in London, UK on March 30, 2005 at 6:00 AM (CST)

Great case before, even better now they are anodized in diff colours.

Just need that rubber/plastic plug to keep out dust/dirt.

Posted by Cyberwhore in Perth on March 30, 2005 at 6:35 AM (CST)

Any way to connect a lanyard?

Posted by YuleLogger in Southaven, MS on March 30, 2005 at 8:25 AM (CST)

UK readers should keep an eye on http://www.ammicro.co.uk/products/griffin.htm for this case…

Posted by BigTallGuy on March 30, 2005 at 9:48 AM (CST)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >