Griffin unveils iVault for iPod Shuffle | iLounge News

Griffin unveils iVault for iPod Shuffle

pic Griffin Technology and designer Greg Gutierrez today announced the iVault aluminum case for the iPod shuffle. Gutierrez (aka “Helixipod”), who first showed the case on the iLounge forums, has partnered with Griffin to sell and distribute the case in the US.

“Machined entirely out of aluminum, the iVault safely encloses your iPod shuffle, while still allowing total access to the control wheel, audio jack, on switch, USB port, and LED. The front and back halves of the case are joined together by 4 small screws, so your iPod shuffle is guaranteed to be secure. Lightweight yet strong, the iVault and the iPod shuffle together weigh less than 1.5 ounces.”

The iVault comes in four colors — silver, blue, red and purple — and will ship with a USB cable to sync/charge your iPod shuffle without removing it from the case. The iVault is scheduled to be available in May for $29.99.

« iPod shuffle clone tweaked, renamed ‘Super Tangent’

Hilton debuts iPod-compatible alarm clock, Apple sweepstakes »

Comments

I agree with jcs.  I also have a shuffle and a 60GB.  The shuffle is nowhere near as delicate as the 60GB and has no screen to scratch.  I can’t see any reason to keep the shuffle in a case beyond liking how the case looks.  I sure don’t see the need for a “vault.”

Posted by sechannell in United States on March 30, 2005 at 8:14 AM (PDT)

Requires use of cable so you’ll have to carry that with you and it can’t be used with the lanyard and provides no alternative to lanyard. Looks nice, but makes a very slick design much less slick. I do wish the iPod mini were available in colors like that, though!

Posted by sjonke in Maryland, US on March 30, 2005 at 8:19 AM (PDT)

The main appeal is that it looks pretty nifty.

But also, if the shuffle was durable before, it’ll be pretty much invulnerable in this case.

Posted by mattwardfh in Texas on March 30, 2005 at 8:33 AM (PDT)

This case isn’t about scratch-proofing so much as CRUSH proofing, I’d say. Step on it. Drive over it. Drop books on it. It’ll survive smile

Posted by Nagromme on March 30, 2005 at 9:27 AM (PDT)

Drive over it???  Really???  It’s aluminum, not hardened steel.  Maybe if a midget on a unicycle runs over the case it would survive, but I would love to see this thing survive a run-in with a Ford Econoline van.

Posted by mrn121 in Fairfax, VA on March 30, 2005 at 9:30 AM (PDT)

Way to go Helixipod!  I’ll definately be getting one for my shuffle.  I can’t wait to see what you come up with for the 60MB iPod Photo, which also needs protection.

Posted by LDRiPod in Redondo Beach on March 30, 2005 at 9:55 AM (PDT)

That case is gorgeous! Very classy anodizied tones. I want one, and I don’t even have a shuffle!

While the shuffle is still an iPod, without this case it just doesnt have the “bling” of the bigger iPods.

Posted by minty on March 30, 2005 at 1:33 PM (PDT)

Congats Helixipod. I have to say those are some good looking colors. Now you and Griffin just need to pop out a 4g case.

Posted by jTizzle on March 30, 2005 at 6:30 PM (PDT)

LOVE the look!! And it’s great to see an iPodlounger’s idea come to fruition. However, I had to write to Griffin twice to find out that this is intended to be used lanyard free. Through earlier threads, I knew that it would not accomodate the lanyard that comes with the Shuffle, but had just assumed there’d be a hole someplace to thread a lanyard through.

Is it just assumed that we all have a pocket in our shirt in which to tote the Shuffle?

Maybe I’m missing something here. nd I’m having a REALLY tough time navigating the new site to find out if anyone else has thoughts on this.

I figure that someone in this very smart community of iPod users may have figured how to to lanyard-ize the iVault. I’d buy iVaults in all their gorgeous colors if there’s a solution to this issue.

Posted by californiagrl in SF Bay Area on April 14, 2005 at 12:30 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2