Hack: iPod as wireless music streamer and fileserver | iLounge News

Hack: iPod as wireless music streamer and fileserver

Using the unlikely couple of Apple’s iPod and a Microsoft Pocket PC handheld, third-party software developer Simeda has devised a fully portable method to wirelessly broadcast iPod music and files to PCs or other portable devices on a local area network. The hitches: you’ll need a 15 Euro (US$19) piece of software, two cable or card-based adapters, music that can be legally performed and/or shared, and plenty of pre-charged battery power to keep both the Pocket PC and iPod going.

« iTunes Music Store hits 100 million

iPod-BMW interface FAQ available »

Comments

I was just reading the article about this over at The Register.

Posted by kainjow on July 11, 2004 at 9:24 PM (CDT)

I just thought… why not hack even more and make it act like a server running iTunes via Rendezvous so then any computer running iTunes can access it. See http://mt-daapd.sourceforge.net/

Posted by kainjow on July 11, 2004 at 9:46 PM (CDT)

That just takes the cake!  Is there any end to what you can do with the iPod?  I know that you will NEVER see things like this on a Creative(lessness) player.  Very cool and if I was in a place where there are people with an adiction to tech gadgets like me, I would try to jump all over this.  Just plain cool!

Posted by RSM in Tupelo, MS on July 11, 2004 at 9:55 PM (CDT)

It was also /.‘d.  It’s pretty much useless, altho somewhat cool.  Not worth it tho if dont already own the parts.

Posted by acemilo on July 11, 2004 at 10:12 PM (CDT)

Wait, in part of that tutorial, it shows the iPod showing up on the pocket PC as a hard disk. Is it seriously possible to use the iPod as a portable storage device on you pocket PC?
Because if it is, skrew broadcasting music, I’m storing all my documents and crap on my iPod, and not worrying about running out of space on my pocket PC EVER AGAIN!

Posted by Rex in USA on July 11, 2004 at 10:29 PM (CDT)

Posted by Rex in USA on July 11, 2004 at 10:29 PM (CDT)

Rex - yep, you can do it, but you need a PPC with a USB host, and I think that the Toshiba E800 is the only one so far.

It’s a neat trick if you can do it - especially if you are into movies on a PPC.

On the flipside, since I got my ipod I’ve used my PPC less and less. With ipodsync it does most of what I needed the PDA for.

Andy
——————————
PPC = Pocket PC (hp 4150 in my case)

Posted by Andy on July 12, 2004 at 1:02 AM (CDT)

Wouldn’t it be cool if the 4G ipods had built in wireless server.

Auto search for other ipods in the area. If it finds any it alerts you and gives a list of their music. You can then download tracks off them and visa versa.

Of course apple would never do this but it would be a great feature.

Maybe iriver could do it :)

Posted by Strat on July 12, 2004 at 4:29 AM (CDT)

Its very possible we will see WiFi on the next iPod. It will be able to interact with the AirPort Express as well as share music with other iPods in the area with Rendezvous.

Posted by Strat on July 12, 2004 at 7:18 PM (CDT)

Why not just slot in a 4GB CF card to a PPC and use it for video and audio storage? Then you don’t even need the iPod for playback! Less clutter is good!

Posted by Why Not? on July 12, 2004 at 7:38 PM (CDT)

Why Not?
It’s freekin expensive! Not that the iPod isn’t, but if you already have one for music, its WAY cheaper.

I need a USB host, huh? Darn. I guess that means no iPod hard drive on my ViewSonic V36.
And I was getting all excited, too.

I never use the PIM on the iPod. Not being able to edit files on the iPod makes these functions next to useless, for me.

Posted by Rex on July 13, 2004 at 10:46 AM (CDT)

Why not just hook the iPod up to an iBook and use _that_ as your wi-fi connection? It has a longer battery life and it charges your iPod too! Moreover, the UI of iTunes is much more plesant and straightforward than the screenshots they show on the pocketpc.

Heck, why not just run iTunes on the iBook and leave the iPod out of the picture? No wires required at all! The smallest iBook probably is easier to carry than a buncha wires anyway.

Posted by Sraphim on July 13, 2004 at 10:47 AM (CDT)

Uh, because you have to go out and BUY an iBook?

Posted by JL on July 15, 2004 at 4:54 PM (CDT)

You can already do this with an iRiver. This application simply shares any folder packed with MP3s. This means you could point it at an iRiver hooked into your Pocket PC, and stream music from it.

Even better, the free version of this software (Pocketster Basic) will do this, Pockerster Pro just adds the ability to interface with the iPod’s “Hidden” music folder.

You can get a free software hack for your iPod that does this (makes the iPod’s music folder show up) automaticaly. Do that, and then you can stream your iPod’s music with the free version of Pocketster (Basic).

Bet you all didn’t know that huh?

Posted by Jalexster on July 20, 2004 at 12:29 AM (CDT)

Dear sir:
I am jenny from wuxi yuedi confetti co.,ltd. We are the exporting manufacturer that specializes in confetti PRODUCTS in China.
We are willing to enter into business relations with you.They are ever used widely in big events:UEFA Euro 2004,Olympic games in Greece etc.Also they are suitable in celebration,house party, DJ music event and wedding events etc.
Confetti makes any event more Colorful, Dazzling, Exciting, Memorable and most of all…fu
Our confetti cannons are fired by nitrogen gas,it is safe and easy to operate.it can be used both indoors and outdoors,It can be widely applied in celebration, opening ceremony, performance, wedding, sports game, carnival, Christmas day and so on.
If you have question with our products,please fell free to contact us
http://www.confetticannon.cn    www.chinalibinhua.com
I will wait your reply if you interested in our products.
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)  .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
best wishes!
Jenny

Posted by jenny on July 4, 2005 at 9:41 PM (CDT)

I know that you will NEVER see things like this on a Creative(lessness) player

Dude, this is a trivial hack. You can do it with any player that functions as an external hard drive. You just mount the hard drive with the data, share it through any network media share software such as VideoLAN or Media Center, and then broadcast it using the client-server node. You can have any amount of wired or wireless clients attach based on your network configuration.

One big advantage of choosing VL or MC over iTunes for the network sharing is that they are not crippled in tersm of the number or range of clients that can attach. You can broadcast over LAN *or* WAN*, and they also use intelligent bitstreaming to reduce the quality if the attached client has a narrow pipe.

Posted by Demosthenes on July 5, 2005 at 9:04 AM (CDT)