Hacker cracks Apple’s wireless music streaming technology | iLounge News

Hacker cracks Apple’s wireless music streaming technology

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Thursday, August 12, 2004
News Categories: Apple

“The Norwegian hacker famed for developing DVD encryption-cracking software has apparently struck again—this time breaking the locks on Apple Computer Inc.‘s wireless music streaming technology.

Jon Lech Johansen released on his Web site—defiantly named “So Sue Me”—a software key that helps to unlock the encryption Apple uses for its AirPort Express, a device that lets users broadcast digital music from Apple’s online iTunes Music Store on a stereo that’s not plugged into a computer.

Some security consultants say that with the key and another program he released, Johansen, also known as DVD Jon, has helped pave the way for other software applications other than Apple iTunes to work with AirPort Express.”

« iPodResQ & LoadPod announce customer loyalty program

Mac/Windows: iPod Updater 2004-08-06 released »

Comments

I love when things get functionality that the creator otherwise didn’t want. Joy.

Posted by Adam on August 12, 2004 at 9:27 PM (PDT)

It seems that the “More info” link is kaputt.

Not Found

The requested URL /wireless music streaming technology was not found on this server.
Apache/2.0.46 (Red Hat) Server at [url=http://www.ipodlounge.com]http://www.ipodlounge.com[/url] Port 80

Posted by NS on August 12, 2004 at 9:28 PM (PDT)

Way to go…let us get the features now while Apple still tries to figure out how they could’ve charged for it.

Big companies always do this, they always try to limit functionality until they see a way to make money off it.

You lose Apple.

Posted by Big Sid on August 12, 2004 at 11:39 PM (PDT)

Good for him im sure apples steaming on this one for losing potential revenue.

Posted by GREATTT on August 13, 2004 at 1:42 AM (PDT)

full article at

Posted by timmy on August 13, 2004 at 1:48 AM (PDT)

Sounds like he just opened up a lot of doors!  Competition is what drives the marketplace!  I wonder what’s next…

Posted by Asian_N02 in Delaware on August 13, 2004 at 2:32 AM (PDT)

I doubt Apple will be suprised, this was *bound* to happen. I look forward to a plug-in for Winamp etc smile .

Posted by Moorish on August 13, 2004 at 2:32 AM (PDT)

Either way, people will still need to buy the AirPort Express from Apple.

Posted by EyeLikeP00 on August 13, 2004 at 3:16 AM (PDT)

Ah, Apple envy.  I think this clown should just buy a Mac, then he wouldn’t need to continue “cracking” Apple hardware.  Oh yeah, I forgot, he’s doing it for the greater good of mankind.  What a crock.

Posted by The Raven in USA on August 13, 2004 at 4:26 AM (PDT)

better for competition, and when since do mac users only ever want to use itunes, are other players banned on the mac?

also, why would apple loose money on this!

Posted by unknownsoldier on August 13, 2004 at 5:09 AM (PDT)

I like Winamp over itunes on windows. I have always liked Winamp, and I use winamp’s ipod plugin to upload to my ipod and manage it. I would still have to buy the friggin part from apple that plugs into the stereo and not everyone is going to use this tool (probably only power-users who dislike iTunes) so what is the big deal???

This is hardly as big as his DVD break, which really had no benifit in the way of competition at all (although I love being able to put my movies on my HDD for mobile goodness… just as I like putting my CDs on the ipod)

The Raven: Please get over yourself, I’m sure he probably has a mac, and unlike the rest of us we can’t afford Apple’s outrageious prices for computers (I want one, but the cost does not justify itself)

Now if apple was able to give me one of those 15inch for $1300 or the 17 inch for $1800… well…

Posted by Nick Catalano on August 13, 2004 at 5:41 AM (PDT)

Flame me if you want, but the bottom line is that Airport Express is an ill-conceived device for streaming music.

It’s great for being on the road and setting up an instant hotspot in a hotel room, or at a friend’s house, but when it comes to streaming music it has a lot of limitations.

Posted by Big Sid on August 13, 2004 at 9:14 AM (PDT)

unknownsoldier: How can you say the cost of a Mac does not justify what you get, if you’ve never actually owned a Mac?  Trust me, if you used a Mac day in and day out for a month, you would understand that you get what you pay for.  IMHO, the pleasure of owning and using a Mac is worth a sometimes higher up-front cost.

Posted by Russell Gordon on August 13, 2004 at 9:18 AM (PDT)

Nick: why does the cost not justify it, mine was $1800 and I can justify it because I use it everyday.  I’m sick of people bashing apple on their prices, unlike windows you don’t have to buy all the programs (i.e. virus protection) and crud like that.  So just get over yourself and stay with your F*ing M$ computer

Posted by MATRIXsjd in Burbank, Ca on August 13, 2004 at 10:44 AM (PDT)

“the pleasure of owning and using a Mac is worth a sometimes higher up-front cost”

Maybe if you are a willing member of the Cult of Steve then the Mac’s fancy eye candy and ##### interface is pleasurable (in the same way that fundie Catholics get off on hairshirts and flagellation), but I prefer to customize my computing environment to my tastes, not whatever fancy schmancy “look” Apple’s gay designers have decided is “in” this year.

Posted by lube me up baby on August 13, 2004 at 10:46 AM (PDT)

Hey- don’t flame this last guy. I’m sure he’s got more flashing LEDs and glow in the dark cables in his computer than you do…

Posted by Get over it on August 13, 2004 at 12:32 PM (PDT)

What the hell are you talking about “##### interface”. The interface of OSX is the easiest and most customizable OS out there.
Although i cant blame you for being mad, after all the spyware on your p.c probably caused about 20 pop-ups while typing that…...oh wait you were attacked by a trojan virus and your computer froze? wow your right macs are stupid. Big grey boxes and fat ### monitors are the way to go.
Look at a top of the line pc and compare it to a mac #####, the pc will almost always cost more.
Your lucky mac even allowed your dumbass to use an ipod.

Posted by an0therdumbsn on August 13, 2004 at 12:52 PM (PDT)

dont feed the trolls/idiots

Posted by lol on August 13, 2004 at 1:11 PM (PDT)

One day all Windows users will be using Apple products! It’s inevitable! Microsoft should be sued for incompetence.Yeah! nice flashing blue lights,and if i hear one more pc weenie say"i built my computer
i’ll scream! OSX is a Ferrari-Windows is
just after the invention of the wheel.

Posted by iQpod in Toronto,Canada on August 13, 2004 at 1:24 PM (PDT)

how ‘bout you all iShutup?

Posted by dethbrakr on August 13, 2004 at 1:50 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last »