Hacker cracks Apple’s wireless music streaming technology | iLounge News

Hacker cracks Apple’s wireless music streaming technology

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Thursday, August 12, 2004
News Categories: Apple

“The Norwegian hacker famed for developing DVD encryption-cracking software has apparently struck again—this time breaking the locks on Apple Computer Inc.‘s wireless music streaming technology.

Jon Lech Johansen released on his Web site—defiantly named “So Sue Me”—a software key that helps to unlock the encryption Apple uses for its AirPort Express, a device that lets users broadcast digital music from Apple’s online iTunes Music Store on a stereo that’s not plugged into a computer.

Some security consultants say that with the key and another program he released, Johansen, also known as DVD Jon, has helped pave the way for other software applications other than Apple iTunes to work with AirPort Express.”

« iPodResQ & LoadPod announce customer loyalty program

Mac/Windows: iPod Updater 2004-08-06 released »

Comments

“One day” is istarting.Islowly but isurely.

Posted by iQpod in Toronto,Canada on August 13, 2004 at 2:01 PM (PDT)

One day we will wake up in a world without John Lech Johansen. That day will come after the night apple sent an assassin.

I will mourn that day.

Posted by Happydingleberry on August 13, 2004 at 3:18 PM (PDT)

http://nanocrew.net/blog/ (the blog to which Jon Johansen posted the key and info) is currently down, and I believe that it has been since this time yesterday at least….Apple Legal?! smile

Posted by MacFanatic90 on August 13, 2004 at 3:36 PM (PDT)

The only thing Apple does cooler than Windows is the icons.

Posted by Big Sid on August 13, 2004 at 4:38 PM (PDT)

Thats the problem we Mac people have we have to share iPods with windoze trolls. Winamp better than iTunes never read such rubbish.

Posted by glad1959 on August 13, 2004 at 5:02 PM (PDT)

If only this “DVD Jon” used his talents for good rather than his own selfish ends. Some hackers are no different from hoodlums who vandalize buildings “because they can”.

Posted by aries73 on August 13, 2004 at 6:45 PM (PDT)

Actually, i find both computing platforms comfortable, but have always owned PC’s.  I will own PC’s for teh concieveable future, but then only because I am a Comp Sci major—and programming on a mac commercially is shooting yourself in the foot.

As far as iTunes vs. Winamp, the victor is easily winamp.  The interface, though not as nice looking, works better, smoother, and more efficently.  ITunes takes up much much more ram usage, which even at 1024mb, i like to conserve.  Also, iTunes tends to ignore wma files, which some of my library is, as well as some OGG files, so winamp is the ultimate customization job this side of OSS.

Posted by KeaneE04 on August 13, 2004 at 7:45 PM (PDT)

The new MusicMatch 9.0 is pretty smooth.  I like the tagging and renaming features of MM.

I know lots of people here hate MM, and when listening to music I prefer to use iTunes, but when it comes to ripping, renaming or tagging…MM is the BOMB!

When you have a library of 20,000 songs to manage, MM is a better tool than iTunes.

Anyhow, how did we go from talking about AirPort Express to players?

Posted by Big Sid on August 13, 2004 at 11:30 PM (PDT)

lol…he is l33t h4x0rz…..

And at 20? I wouldnt be surprised if a movie about him is released soon….

Posted by Naruto on August 14, 2004 at 1:59 AM (PDT)

I have a PC and a Mac PB. I love the idea of an AX but I’m wary of getting it for two reasons;
1/ there’s no remote control so I need to be at my PC to control the streaming
2/ iTunes on the PC is a memory MONSTER…. clocking in at over double (almost triple) the requirements for WMP for instance
option 1: no solution I can see in a a hurry (unless they add Bluetooth and I can use Romeo, or a PalmOS based remote for iTunes)
option 2: DVD Jon essentially helps to get over that hurdle…. so I don’t see what the problem is.
Oh, and Music Match SUCKs

Posted by J on August 14, 2004 at 4:06 AM (PDT)

Winamp?
iTunes?
MM?
Media Player?

Pah!

Media Center 10 0WNZ all these inferior excuses for jukebox softwares.

When you are finished playing with kiddie programs come join the big boys!

Posted by ba ba booey on August 14, 2004 at 6:12 AM (PDT)

Ummm, you think hacking and releasing ‘useful tweaks’ to the public is a selfish act?

DooD!

Posted by To: aries73 on August 14, 2004 at 6:32 AM (PDT)

this whole hack sounds like a totally worthless crock of crap.  why doesn’t this guy do something usefull like find a way to crack the i tune files and turn them into mp3’s im sick of paying for crappy music.  Oh, and by the way, I don’t own an i pod, but windows media player is the only thing that doesn’t glitch on my 500mhz monster lap top, so i think ill be happy with that:)

Posted by fatty on August 14, 2004 at 7:15 AM (PDT)

If you’re going to pay for any music, you shouldn’t be paying for something as low-quality as mp3’s, anyways.

Posted by Elemennop on August 14, 2004 at 9:12 AM (PDT)

I would love the option of getting songs off the iTMS in .wav or Apple Lossless or some loseless encoding.

Posted by Faramir on August 14, 2004 at 9:26 AM (PDT)

Hey glad1959, us “windoze trolls” were using ipods before the Church of Steve deemed us worthy.  And you should be glad that Steve realized that if he wanted to control the market he’d have to release the ipod to work with the 96% of market he doesn’t own.  No PC users, no mass demand for iPod, no iPod mini and 4G.

Posted by Brad on August 14, 2004 at 10:33 AM (PDT)

Sure. Develop a product and bring it to market. Spend the money to package, market, distribute, and warranty.  Sure. Apple did all of that and none of it cost them a dime…did it? They’re worthless, can’t be trusted, meglomanical, greedy,etc etc. The bottom line is this guy stole the technology and published it because he could…good for him…If some of us were actually capable of creating breakthrough ideas and intellectual property, there might be some sense in reasoning through the nuances of this argument. Suffice to say, the only way to really understand this is when someone rips off your idea, sticks their slimy hand in your pocket and takes your money.  That’s this guy’s story - period. BizPod.

Posted by BizPod on August 14, 2004 at 2:28 PM (PDT)

BizPod-

You lost me…what the heck are you talking about?

Posted by Big Sid on August 14, 2004 at 6:30 PM (PDT)

First off, I don’t mind using Apple products… I love the iPod (although I hate iTunes on windows, I use the Winamp iTunes plugin).. and I really wish I could afford a Mac (I wish I could afford an iPod, I got mine through freeipod.com). But I’m not trying to be flamed… those in the true “cult of steve” will do such, but lets be honest… if people started using Apple products the world would be a better place… if there was a comprehensive program made only for the mac and a business could reasonably afford to go to an all mac platform for a low cost (similar to what dell would charge) with certified engineers that knew what the hell they were doing, then I would guarantee you businesses would go for it…

But that doesn’t happen, and because of that Apple gets the consumer market… and only a fracton of it, if that…

Lets review:
a) Apple Computers are not ‘cheap’
b) People who don’t want bells and wistles want something ‘cheap’, which apple does not have
c) A lot of those people are new to computers and should probably be buying a mac, but these people are allready investing $500 of their dollars at the local best buy for their EMachines POS (by the way, the new 64bit AMD Emachines with the widescreen kicks ###… but that is because I like the OEM that makes it…)
d) People don’t like to develop business products for the mac because businesses don’t go for the mac… because the programs they want to use are on the PC…. and Mac’s cost more than dells in the long run
e) System engineers can’t build a mac to a customer’s specs, using parts that are made on the cheap by competitors…

I want my company to go mac, but that is just because I like macs… I won’t, because it is a waste of my money when I can build my own…

Posted by Nick Catalano on August 14, 2004 at 8:36 PM (PDT)

Dear Brad

The reason that there is such a high demand for iPod has nothing to do with Windows having a 96% monopoly.  By the way their formula was borrowed (er one could say stolen, but I might get sued)  from apple..

It has everything to do with quality… which is a word microsoft should look up in the dictionary.

All window users who own an iPod subconciously know that Apple do it better, but like all closet homophobes are afraid to step out into the light

Windows have always been playing catchup, and not very well I might add.  I would sooner own a dogs left n** than any computer that had the inferior windows product on it.

Posted by Fiark on August 15, 2004 at 3:07 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 4 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >