“Hacking iPod + iTunes” book released | iLounge News

“Hacking iPod + iTunes” book released

Wiley Publishing has released a new book titled “Hacking iPod + iTunes” by Scott Knaster. “Hacking iPod and iTunes teaches readers everything needed to use the most obscure and least documented features of Apple’s software, but that’s just the starting point. For the dedicated, hardcore iPod users who are ready to really unlock the potential of this great hardware device, Hacking iPod and iTunes reveals the secrets of more than 100 hacks, tweaks and mods, unlocking both the musical and non-musical tricks in the iPod’s repertoire.”

« Marware updates neoprene cases for 4G iPod

Mac/Windows: PodUtil 2.5 released »

Comments

hmmm.
so its just the ipodlounge forums in book form, for a nominal fee.

Posted by Harrison in Melbourne, Australia on August 19, 2004 at 8:31 PM (CDT)

Check out the last review (at the moment). I think ill pass, just like i passed every other iPod books.

Posted by lol on August 19, 2004 at 8:34 PM (CDT)

Just a little more about this book (I’m the author)—I wanted to put together an iPod book that’s a little different from the others by focusing on interesting, unusual, fun, and obscure iPod & iTunes stuff. Sure, some of it is available on iPodlounge or elsewhere, but there’s plenty of cool unique material: more info about iPod Notes and museum mode than anywhere else (even Chris Breen’s excellent Macworld article), the only description I’ve seen of how to view iPod files in the Finder without third-party software, and even a bit about Linux on iPod. If you’re interested in finding out more you can check out http://hackingipod.com Thanks.

Posted by sknaster on August 19, 2004 at 9:56 PM (CDT)

In your adventures at writeing this book. Did you take time to address the E.U. Volume Cap issue? I know it’s no big shake outside the E.U.. But, it’s a major PITA for those People who have iPod’s here in Euroupe. It might be worth picking up your Book if you have coverd this Subject. Do you offer any real ‘Hacks’ thaa would address this? Real Hacks that will stick to the iPod even after you do a reset? Or do you only suggest useing EUpod to Boost the Volume…

Posted by Ichijoe on August 20, 2004 at 3:40 AM (CDT)

I don’t know of a way around the EU volume limit issue other than something like euPOD (for Windows) or iPodVolumeBooster (for Mac). For me both of those lose the setting from time to time. Anybody know about others?

Posted by sknaster on August 20, 2004 at 7:30 AM (CDT)

In a recent press release, Apple has condemned the “hacker tactics” of Wiley publishing…

Posted by Irving Ipod on August 20, 2004 at 7:45 AM (CDT)

LOL! Now that would be some great publicity…

Posted by sknaster on August 20, 2004 at 8:25 AM (CDT)

I love how no one has bashed this and called it evil yet when Real lets you change something on the iPod you all yell “That ruins the bond between iTunes and iPod” or a similar statement. I think thats pretty odd don’t you? I for one am all for open-source, hacking and basically doing whatever the hell you want with something that YOU bought.

Posted by irony? on August 20, 2004 at 9:11 AM (CDT)

agreed, man.

Posted by irony. on August 20, 2004 at 8:58 PM (CDT)

No, man.  Real is hated for their hacking because RealNetworks has a history of making bloatware. Their shoddy, poorly-made, adware/spyware-filled software has made them enemies to the PC world in general, and Mac users have never needed or liked them in the first place.  They are also making a significant profit and boosting their mailing list with their iPod stunt when they KNOW Apple will block them again in the near future.  Real is a bad company with questionable ethics, and they always have been so.

Posted by No No No on August 20, 2004 at 11:04 PM (CDT)

Yes there are a few way to do this E.U. Volume Cap removeal. There’s this new Windows Program that’s soposed to do it Unfortunatly I forget what it’s called. I’m sure that someone will advertise it soon enough though if I egg this Topic out..

But, I went for the Linux route. It’s simple and it works! It basicly requiers you to Zero out the iPod’s HDD and Force Partition it into a 40Mb OS Partition and a rest of Drive Partition. Which can be for PC or Mac. Unfoutunatly Linux is not ‘n00b Friendly’ y good knowledge of useing the old DOS Command Line interface helps! But, for all that it’s quick and painless and, moreover permanent! This in no way installs any Third Party Software, you are only covering what the ‘Restore’ would otherwise do for you Without Flaging the EEPROM’s Region Code and Serial Nr.!!!

So all you have to do is use the curent iPod OS Update & Restore Software to ‘Update’ to the current version of your iPod OS to get the BIG SOUND this should work with any iPod…

Although some 1G & 2& only need to remove the ‘Limit’ File from there iPod_ControlDevices Folder to get the same results. Allthoiugh this in itself is not as such a permanent as the one above!

Posted by Ichijoe on August 21, 2004 at 4:31 AM (CDT)

So I guess I can save my Money on this Book too. I’d really love one of these Hacker Book’s to start addressing this issue. Like I said I know it’s not a BIG DEAL in the U.S. (World+Dog), But if you ever come accross an E.U. iPod that gets drowned out by EVERYTHING on Street level, or Below (Metro, U-Bahn, Subway etc..) You’ll know what a B*tch this problem really is!

Posted by Ichijoe on August 21, 2004 at 4:35 AM (CDT)

It doesn’t matter that Real’s program is complete garbage most people here yell blasphemy when that came out. I’m just noting how everyone jumped on Real for “ruining” the iPod experience and calling for it to be ended. Theres always a chance sells the Harmony technology to other companies and allows them use the iPod too. Theres no reason you can’t put whatever you want on a product that YOU bought with YOUR own money. Its not Apples in anyway and you should be able to do what you want with it not what they want. Even if you don’t want to use Real you should still be happy that there is SOMETHING else out there to use and it does open doors for other companies to use the iPod.

Posted by Yes Yes Yes on August 21, 2004 at 9:00 AM (CDT)

Sounds like a great book!

Posted by sknaster on August 21, 2004 at 4:35 PM (CDT)

How can the author of a hacking book for the iPod not know about using Linux to get around the EU cap?

Posted by Chris Matchett on August 21, 2004 at 4:37 PM (CDT)

if the author did not just copy ideas from forums like that of ipodlounge the he would know how to disable the eu cap. there were many articles on the internet, but all for a brief period. since a 3g can be tricked into thinking it’s a 4g would it be difficult to disable the eu cap?

Posted by kades on August 21, 2004 at 4:41 PM (CDT)

looks like the author is making money from other’s efforts

Posted by kades on August 21, 2004 at 4:49 PM (CDT)

If you had an Idea where the ‘FLAG’ing (Region Code) Comment was in the ‘Restore’ Routine. I would hazzard it that such Comments could easaly be Nooped though. Thing is no Ones talking. Remember the E.U. Volume Cap came after the iPod. iPod OS 1.2.2 (For Europe) was the first iPod OS to use this FLAG. Apple has since worked it into the Code.

But, like I said there are many so called ‘Hacks’ Creating your own Audiobook Files (With Bookmarking Featrue turned on!) by converting your Stock Immage to AAC (.M4a ) to AAC (.M4b) is not really a Hack as such.

Reall workarounds to the E.U. Volume Cap however are! The Linux Method is getting on and now that People know How it’s done!, there are starting to come out with Windows installers that will do the ‘Hack’ for you. Since this ‘Hack’ leaves marks I’ll stick with the Linux way for now. But, all the same there is progress, and such progress should have been noted.

Again like I said I can hardly fault the Author He most likely lives in the US and has never came across a E.U. disabled iPod…

Posted by Ichijoe on August 22, 2004 at 2:54 AM (CDT)

Just saw this on O’Reilly.com a few days ago, http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/ipodtuneshks/

Looks like O’Reilly is coming out with an O’Reilly Hack book for iPod and iTunes. I love their Paanther Hacks and Google Hacks book so I’m psyched. I’ll save my money for their book.

Posted by bob on August 23, 2004 at 2:30 PM (CDT)