Happy 3rd Birthday iPod | iLounge News

Happy 3rd Birthday iPod

Three years ago today, Apple’s CEO Steve Jobs introduced the iPod to the world at a media event on October 23, 2001. Many now call it the best digital music player in the world. The iPod wouldn’t be available for sale until November 10, 2001.

I remember watching the announcement via a live QuickTime broadcast on the Internet. Three years later it would become the number one digital player and a cultural icon. Who knew? That day changed my life forever, literally. I launched iLounge.com only two weeks after its announcement. And now, 3 years later, I sit here in my home office (iLounge HQ) writing to you about its 3rd birthday. Strange how things work out. Happy Birthday iPod.

« QuikMount in-car mount for iPod released

iPod 3rd Birthday Giveaway winner announced »

Comments

Shouldn’t it say 3 years ago right at the beginning of the article?

Posted by Killa on October 23, 2004 at 11:25 AM (CDT)

yea what he said

and how bout them YANKEES!!!!

we are so good

i think we will beat the cardinals in the world series

Posted by joe schmo yo on October 23, 2004 at 11:27 AM (CDT)

Does anyone still have the live broadcast?

Posted by Joe on October 23, 2004 at 12:13 PM (CDT)

happy birthday kainjow (tomorrow) :)

Posted by kainjow on October 23, 2004 at 12:39 PM (CDT)

happy birthday ipod!
herzlichen glückwunsch zum geburtstag!
feliz compleanos!

Posted by Louis ipodman on October 23, 2004 at 1:48 PM (CDT)

Yeah, I want that live broadcast.

Posted by dino in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada on October 23, 2004 at 1:49 PM (CDT)

Oh, and Happy birthday iPod!!!!!

Posted by dino in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada on October 23, 2004 at 1:50 PM (CDT)

I think it’s time to haul out this classic:

That’s the original MacRumors thread when the iPod appeared, with people TRASHING it as an utter failure when it first appeared :D Much like every new Apple product, really.

Too funny.

Posted by Nagromme on October 23, 2004 at 1:51 PM (CDT)

heh heh…..what yankees?

=:-{D
Xtoast

3g 40gig Qpod |)—->

Posted by Xtoast in midwest usa on October 23, 2004 at 2:29 PM (CDT)

That thread is hilarious. It sounds suspiciously like the iPod forum threads when Apple releases something new… 4G anyone? 5G? Please stop the whining!  :D

Happy birthday iPod!

Posted by Awesome-O on October 23, 2004 at 3:34 PM (CDT)

Thanx Nagromme for pulling out that classic.

The iPod is revolutionary.  Apple computers are revolutionary.  Apple software is revolutionary.

Drop the cynicism folks.  People have been bashing apple for 20 years and guess what???

They are still here!!!
And they will always raise the bar.

Go Apple Go….

Posted by fiark on October 23, 2004 at 5:06 PM (CDT)

Well, happy birthday iPod!  Plus, for those who asked about the Yankees, CARDS IN 4.

Posted by Zach on October 23, 2004 at 6:49 PM (CDT)

I maintain that I’m the first person to own an iPod in my town of Kelowna, BC.  I went into the local Apple dealer to see what the iPod was all about, having bought a Rio Volt CD MP3 thing about three months before.  I had my iBook with me, and asked them to let me fiddle with it.

I had not intended to buy one, having just bought the Rio Volt, but when I plugged it into my iBook and saw how quickly it moved about a gig of music over I was in love.  I bought one right then and there, the most expensive impulse buy of my life.

Now I’m on my third iPod, though the other two are working fine for other people, and it has completely changed my life.  Before even with the Rio Volt I’d be carrying around at least a dozen CDs (and trying to find one song on the Rio Volt was a mess), now I have 40 gigs of love on my hip at all times.

So happy birthday iPod, you devilish little jukebox.

Posted by Jeffery Simpson on October 23, 2004 at 6:52 PM (CDT)

So happy birthday iPod, you devilish little jukebox.

Posted by Jeffery Simpson on October 23, 2004 at 7:52 PM (CDT)

Err, there was no live QuickTime stream of the iPod announcement. It was a media-only press event.

I know, I was awake at 3am here, refreshing Mac news sites for coverage. I wrote this up as it was being announced.

So, yes, there was no stream!

Posted by Xenex on October 23, 2004 at 8:35 PM (CDT)

Three years on and the iPod has changed Apple’s fortunes. Apple’s decision to not compete with K-Mart PCs was the right one. Instead, they sell something cheaper than a cheap PC, and more useful.

Posted by Sol on October 23, 2004 at 9:05 PM (CDT)

the thread above is really hilarious. i wonder how everyone will think about the new apple flash-based player when it comes out.

Posted by lol on October 23, 2004 at 11:05 PM (CDT)

Zach says CARDS in 4.

LOL

BOSTON in 6

Posted by RoBB on October 24, 2004 at 4:18 AM (CDT)

Boston is setting themselves up for a game 6 collapse like in 86. The curse is still on!!!!!!!!!

Posted by GJL on October 24, 2004 at 7:51 AM (CDT)

THE YANKEES ARE GOING TO WIN IT ALL THIS YEAR!!!!!

THEY WILL BEAT THE ASTROS IN 5 TO WIN THE WORLD SERIES!!!!

Posted by joe schmo yo on October 24, 2004 at 8:38 AM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >