Happy 3rd Birthday iPod | iLounge News

Happy 3rd Birthday iPod

Three years ago today, Apple’s CEO Steve Jobs introduced the iPod to the world at a media event on October 23, 2001. Many now call it the best digital music player in the world. The iPod wouldn’t be available for sale until November 10, 2001.

I remember watching the announcement via a live QuickTime broadcast on the Internet. Three years later it would become the number one digital player and a cultural icon. Who knew? That day changed my life forever, literally. I launched iLounge.com only two weeks after its announcement. And now, 3 years later, I sit here in my home office (iLounge HQ) writing to you about its 3rd birthday. Strange how things work out. Happy Birthday iPod.

« QuikMount in-car mount for iPod released

iPod 3rd Birthday Giveaway winner announced »

Comments

“Apple’s decision to not compete with K-Mart PCs was the right one. Instead, they sell something cheaper than a cheap PC, and more useful.”

I think you’re wrong. Apple is a huge company and far larger than it would be if all it did was sell cheap low-end portable audio players.

You can’t sustain a company the size of Apple just by selling entertainment devices into a small niche. In effect the iPod’s R&D and startup costs were and are being amortized by Apple’s PC revenue.

Yet Apple’;s focus has been badly split its PC sales are lagging badly.

This is a classic replay of the Jos folly in the 1980s, when he concentrated on the Mac and neglected the Apple ][, letting a near 70% market share dwindle to nothing.

The best thing for Apple the company would be to do as 3Com did with Palm and spin off the iPod division into a seperate iPod company. Then probably divest the iPod into iPod software/.applications, and iPod hardware sales.

Posted by piggyback on October 24, 2004 at 6:29 AM (PDT)

“The iPod is revolutionary. Apple computers are revolutionary. Apple software is revolutionary.”

I think the companies that actually invented the product category are revolutionary: Rio, Compaq, Archos. Apple is more of an evolutionary company, only ready to jump into a market when others have proven it’s viable. Withness Apple’s slow release of a full colour photo/video handheld…

“Drop the cynicism folks. People have been bashing apple for 20 years and guess what??? They are still here!!!”

20 years ago Apple was the largest PC company in the world. It was like Microsoft and Dell combined.

Now look at it.

By any reasonable measure of success that’s a miserable performance.

Posted by performance ne plus ultra on October 24, 2004 at 6:33 AM (PDT)

performance:

That’s only sort of true.  While it’s true that Apple doesn’t often leap in first, they’re revolutionary in that they tend to make something that the user can *understand* the appeal of.

The iPod is the best example of that.  Most MP3 players before the iPod (and after, for that matter) were a mess.  They were either too big, too clumsy, too little capacity, or too slow.  And in some cases, a combination of the above!  The focus was more on featuritis than on ensuring that the actual experience of playing music was good.

The same goes for computers.  Apple might not have the fastest computer, or the cheapest, but they try to make the actual use of the computer as painless as possible.

Posted by Commodus on October 24, 2004 at 8:36 AM (PDT)

anybody remember Newton?

Posted by jumper on October 24, 2004 at 9:22 AM (PDT)

I love the guy who said this
“I’d call it the Cube 2.0 as it wont sell, and be killed off in a short time…and it’s not really functional.” on the old pre-release forum. grin
I wonder if he owns an iPod now.
Congrats Apple!

Posted by thume on October 24, 2004 at 9:26 AM (PDT)

hello

i have been wanting an ipod for almost 2 years, but i dont have the money and even if i did my parents think it is a waist of money.i really want one.  so i signed up for [url=http://www.freeipods.com]http://www.freeipods.com[/url] , but i dont have any referrals so i was wondering if i can refer any of you nice people

thanks
all i need is your email

Posted by canadian me on October 24, 2004 at 11:05 AM (PDT)

Thefirst game of the world series ends with the Sox 11 and the Cards 9.
How about them Yankees. mmmwaHaHa!!

Posted by TulsaGent in Tulsa, OK, USA on October 24, 2004 at 2:12 PM (PDT)

WAHOO!! Go sox!! Cards are going down! AND THE YANKEES SUCK!!

Posted by Joshdude in Long Beach, CA on October 24, 2004 at 4:23 PM (PDT)

Happy Birthday iPod! Agree, who knew it would become the digital music icon of our lifetime? And yeap it sure change the way I listen to my music…

This is my 4th iPod, yeah, I had one each from each generation; I remembered when I was listening to my 1st and 2nd iPod in the train or bus, people would stare at me, or my “little white boxy device” and gave that ‘frown-est strange look’ as if I am holding something out of this world.

Today as I travel in the train or bus, a good turn around and I can at least spot two people near me, having that now-infamous white ear phones/ear buds and all snowy-white cable streaming from their ears down into their bags or jeans…

More and better years to come! Cheers! grin

Posted by howwow on October 25, 2004 at 7:47 AM (PDT)

Happy birthday my little ipod. Three years ago after i bought my first ipod a Dj was born, he was called Dj Podmaster.
Hpefully the ipod and ipodlounge will still be around for its 10th birthday

Posted by WOLF MAN on October 25, 2004 at 11:25 AM (PDT)

Hilarious link, I love the comments from weezerx80 such as

‘Great just what the world needs, another freaking MP3 player. Go Steve! Where’s the Newton?!’

and also

’ still can’t believe this! All this hype for something so ridiculous! Who cares about an MP3 player? I want something new! I want them to think differently!
Why oh why would they do this?! It’s so wrong! It’s so stupid!’

However the voice of reason comes from dhdave who’s a true visonary and right on the money with

‘No matter what Apple does there are always people who are NEVER happy.  Give it a rest.  It’s a great idea and the first of many.  Why don’t you give it a chance.  It’s price point isn’t half bad either.  At $399 I would much rather have an ipod than say, an xbox.  (no, I am not comparing the two, just the $399 discretionary spending price point).’

Well said Dave, I wonder what weezer’s saying now?

Posted by glad1959 on October 27, 2004 at 3:20 AM (PDT)

Oh and before anyone mentions the current price of the xbox, MS Xbox division made a big fat loss during the past 12 months.

Posted by glad1959 on October 27, 2004 at 3:22 AM (PDT)

What has been Apple’s promotion strategy since the launch of iPod and iTune in US? Any special? anyone knows?

Posted by cocoo on October 30, 2004 at 2:40 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2