Happy 6th Birthday, iPod | iLounge News

Happy 6th Birthday, iPod

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, October 23, 2007
News Categories: iPod

image

Six years ago today, on October 23, 2001, Apple CEO Steve Jobs introduced the iPod, a $399 hard drive-based MP3 player with a unique Scroll Wheel and bright white LCD interface, an amazingly pocketable size, and high-speed FireWire for synchronization and charging. The first-generation iPod actually shipped in mid-November, eventually selling 125,000 units by the end of 2001.

One hundred and twenty million units later, that iPod has evolved into the sixth iteration, the iPod classic, spawned other iPod models such as the mini, shuffle, nano, and touch, and seen its capacity increase 32 times, even while falling in price. It has also played a major part in Apple’s remarkable growth from a struggling computer company to a major consumer electronics manufacturer, inspiring the iPhone and helping boost sales of iMac and MacBook computers.

In December of 2005, we asked you, our readers, whether ‘05 represented the “Year of the iPod,” or if we were instead in the middle of “The iPod Decade.” Nearly two years later, there is literally no end in sight for sales of the iconic jukebox, and with Apple leveraging the iPod+iTunes ecosystem with new products, we may just be getting started.

From all of us at iLounge to Apple’s iPod teams, past and present, congratulations on your sixth birthday. We will be here to celebrate many, many more.

« Mix: iTunes, Salesforce, Billboard, Storage

Digital Camo offers skins for iPods, iPhone »

Comments

I miss the mechanical scroll wheel of the 2G iPods.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on October 23, 2007 at 1:10 PM (PDT)

Happy Birthday !

Posted by iluke on October 23, 2007 at 1:11 PM (PDT)

hope many many more birthdays ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡

Posted by gonzalo on October 23, 2007 at 1:36 PM (PDT)

I agree with Galley. The scroll wheel was mechanical…but cool and very exacting.

Posted by RNB in Bakersfield, CA on October 23, 2007 at 1:42 PM (PDT)

So in 10 years, can we throw a “My Super Sweet 16” party for the iPod?

Posted by cxc273 on October 23, 2007 at 2:18 PM (PDT)

Happy 6th birthday iPod!!!!!! ^_^

Posted by xSceneRaverKidx on October 23, 2007 at 3:57 PM (PDT)

Actually, only the 1G iPods had a mechanical, moving scrollwheel. The 2G iPods had a solid-state scroll-wheel that looked exactly like the 1G wheels. Besides dimensions, the 2G form factor was otherwise similar to the 1G.

Posted by lkalliance on October 23, 2007 at 6:09 PM (PDT)

Happy Birthday to a revolutionary product smile.

Posted by ddsd on October 23, 2007 at 6:09 PM (PDT)

Happy Birthday smile ... It grew like a rose out of concrete. It’s beautiful and many more years ahead ....

Posted by dennis on October 24, 2007 at 4:02 AM (PDT)

My first iPod was a 5th-gen w video. Now, I have the iPhone. I didn’t care much about Apple until I got that iPod. I fell in love. Now, with iPhone and a growing iPod collection (because many other members of my household are catching on to the feeling) I too see no end in sight. Just bought an Apple laptop last month… henceforth HATE my Dell. And it’s all because of iPod. Thanks, Apple! Happy B-day iPod.

Posted by Chad L on October 24, 2007 at 5:26 AM (PDT)

I discovered the world of Apple because of that little programme called iTunes, then with my 4th gen iPod and last year with my macbookpro. I’ll never look back now.  Next up, an iPhone (locked or unlocked, I’m getting it), an iPod touch (when there’s more storage) and an iMac next year.  Slave to Apple I guess lol

Posted by canadan on October 24, 2007 at 8:49 PM (PDT)

I am in my early 40’s love my 30G i-pod, and heavy metal, i-pod’s are also commercial free in the car..smile

Posted by Beeg on October 25, 2007 at 7:38 PM (PDT)

Well…. to answer the post about 10 years from now… in the US, your iPod may offer the ability to concent, but I’d hate to see that dock connector that allows you to do that.

Posted by Lauren Glenn on October 26, 2007 at 9:10 PM (PDT)