Harman Kardon Go+Play speaker system announced | iLounge News

Harman Kardon Go+Play speaker system announced

image

Harman Kardon has introduced its new Go+Play iPod speaker system. The portable system features a horizontal iPod cradle, stainless steel handle and speaker grilles, and can be battery or AC powered. The Go+Play also offers an IR remote control, touch-sensitive controls, and S-video out. Harman Kardon said the Go+Play will be available later this year for $300.

image

« Report: Apple to launch movie service with only Disney offerings

Analyst: Apple’s iPod phone set for production »

Comments

Those are cool! I wish I had money.

Posted by Ted on September 6, 2006 at 12:46 AM (CDT)

Ted, I agree with, it does look cool and at first glance it caused me to drool (just a little) but taking another look at it you can’t help but to wonder “What were they thinking?!”

I love the clean, sleak, modern look but they should have least deviced some sort of way to have the ipod cradle flip/rotate upward so you don’t have to stand over top of the unit for a birds eye view just to see what’s playing or any other reason you would want to use the LCD.  This should have been an easy fix with some sort of rotating mechnism that would have the dock rotate upwards.

I wish one of the hundreds of iPod speaker companies would sit back and take a look at all the current offerings and give us a speaker system that combines the best of what’s on the market.

Posted by 3rdEye on September 6, 2006 at 3:47 AM (CDT)

more to the point can it better the sound of either the bose sound dock or the apple hi-fi?

Posted by James on September 6, 2006 at 12:43 PM (CDT)

@ James: I’ve heard it, wasn’t the best conditions for revewing an audio system but as far as I could hear it is great. btw it should be no prob to do better than iPod hi-fi for a company like harman kardon, I was disappointed when I tested iPod hi-fi.

@ 3rdEye: I’ve spoken to the designer. He told me that one intension to put the iPod up there was, that it is safe on the place, you can even drop a basket ball on it without hitting the iPod.
I like the place for the remote on the back of the unit. A big plus against iPod hi-fi: Go + Play has a video out port.

We’ve got a bunch of pix here (you have to click on “JBL auf der IFA” at the top left,
the small pink thingy you see on the preview pic is one of the new JBL 2.1 systems):

Posted by chris on September 7, 2006 at 8:04 AM (CDT)

Thanks for the pics Chris.

Very interesting…it appears to have speakers on the back of the unit as well, and they appear to be smaller than those on the front.

Hopefully, it will not weigh 14 lbs.

Posted by coprock on September 7, 2006 at 4:12 PM (CDT)

The listed weight is 3.9 lb (1.8kg) one quick note, it features an RF remote not an IR

Posted by Eli on January 16, 2007 at 12:07 PM (CST)

Set your iPod EQ to “Flat” and these speakers will sound great.

Posted by iPhrankie on September 7, 2007 at 6:51 PM (CDT)