Harman Kardon intros ‘Drive + Play’ for iPod | iLounge News

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, July 12, 2005
News Categories: iPod Accessories

image

image

image

imageHarman Kardon today introduced the Harman Kardon Drive + Play, a new iPod car connection solution that “provides complete iPod control, including full browsing capability, while minimizing distractions for drivers.”

The Drive + Play system consists of three components: a backlit LCD screen that displays five lines of iPod menu text; a five-button navigation control unit that mimics the iPod’s user interface; and “The brain? which houses a wireless FM modulator and connecting ports.

The controller features four buttons that control the play/pause, forward, backward and iPod menu functions, a rotating dial that can be used for forward and backward scrolling, and a center button to select items.

The brain has five factory-set frequencies and one definable by the user, and a 3.5mm audio output jack that connects the Drive + Play to any vehicle that has an auxiliary input.

The Harman Kardon Drive + Play is compatible with all docking iPods and will be available for $199.95 in September.

« Newer Technology offers iPod mini replacement battery

DLO debuts TransPod for iPod shuffle »

Comments

I like it, but my only chagrin it that it looks like it was designed for a late model BMW interior with its components and their color scheme.

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on July 12, 2005 at 8:19 AM (PDT)

Pretty neat. Offering BOTH line-out and FM seems needless… except for people like me who ONLY have a radio in my current car, but would like a solution that will go to line-out when I change cars.

Looks good too—although I’d put the display someplace less conspicuous, and make sure it could be moved to the glovebox for security easily.

If your car doesn’t have iPod steering wheel controls, this looks like the second-best easy control method.

Posted by Nagromme on July 12, 2005 at 8:20 AM (PDT)

If it was a color screen LCD maybe it would all be worth it. Guess if it want something like that I have to customize it myself :-\

Posted by AZ on July 12, 2005 at 11:02 AM (PDT)

Not bad. I’ll certainly be looking at this product closely as it may meet my needs.

Given that the “brain” unit is meant to be mounted out of sight, I think it would have better had they included a wired FM transceiver that connected directly into the antenna path. That would have provided better sound. But at least they have the line-out option.

The pics of the display and controller show a marvelously clean install. I assume there are wires running to these (the 2 thin wires coming out of the left of the “brain”??). Looks like you’ll need to drill small holes into your dash or console for that clean look. Not a huge problem, but man, wouldn’t it have been nice if they had figured out how to do that communication via Bluetooth??

I agree with Nagromme on the display. If it’s not removeable from its base that’s a negative. Also would be nice if it had the option to mount flat against an empty area of your dash, but I doubt that will be the case.

The controller looks like it mimics the funtionality of the click wheel pretty well. It should be pretty easy to use “eyes-off” just by dropping your right-hand to the console.

Looking forward to more info and reviews on this one.

Posted by Fangorn in Texas on July 12, 2005 at 11:46 AM (PDT)

I doubt that a color screen would really add that much appeal to it.  Are you really going to look at your pictures while on the road?

I like this setup.  I wish it had a CD-changer plug so you could use head-unit and steering-wheel controls, but the little display and control combo are neat alternatives.

My setup works well enough that I won’t shell out another $200, but I’d opt for this if I didn’t already have something.

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on July 12, 2005 at 12:08 PM (PDT)

Why not white?

Posted by malau in Singapore on July 12, 2005 at 3:27 PM (PDT)

How many people do you know have cars with white dashboards

Posted by Ryan Green on August 15, 2005 at 7:15 PM (PDT)

purchased this item and owned a 3rd generation Ipod and when connected, and when you change songs, it skips for the first 10 secnds of each song. It also will no remember where you left off in any menu if you go back. I had to purchase a whole new Ipod and it works perfect now. I talkd to the company and they said they designed this with 4th gen and higher models. Not sure why they didnt point this out. Other than that it works perfect! I think the big drawback is having to disconnect your Ipod each time you leave your car because it doesnt power the Ipod down automatically!

Posted by Matt on August 6, 2006 at 5:37 AM (PDT)