HD movies now sold in iTunes Store, iPod versions included
Apple has announced that it is now offering high-definition films for purchase and rent on the iTunes Store. HD movies will be priced at $19.99 and can be viewed on a Mac, PC, or Apple TV; according to the announcement, HD films will also include standard-definition copies for viewing on an iPod or iPhone. Starting today, iTunes users can pre-order HD versions of Quantum of Solace which will be available for download on March 24, and Twilight, which will be available on March 21, and can purchase HD versions of films including Transporter 3 and Punisher: War Zone, both of which are available immediately. Apple claims the iTunes Store is the “world’s most popular online TV and movie store,” with over 250 million TV episodes purchased and over 33 million movies purchased and rented.
“Movie fans are going to love being able to buy and rent films including ‘Quantum of Solace’ and ‘Twilight’ in stunning HD from the iTunes Store,” said Eddy Cue, Apple’s vice president of Internet Services. “Customers have made HD content on iTunes a hit, with over 50 percent of TV programming being purchased in HD when available.”
Rental prices for HD films through iTunes remain the same as they were via Apple TV: $3.99 for older titles, $4.99 for new releases. In our brief initial testing, we found that Punisher: War Zone consists of one 3.09GB HD video file, and one 1.15GB SD iPod/iPhone compatible file.
- Apple under investigation in Germany for audiobook deal with Amazon
- Report: Apple to increase iTunes Match limit ‘before the end of the year’
- Apple releases iOS 9.1 beta 3 to developers
- Apple releases iOS 9.0.2
- Apple Music, iTunes movies and iBooks made available in China
- Apple releases iOS 9.0.1 to public, iOS 9.1 beta 2 to developers (Update: public beta also)
- Apple reaches deal with UnionPay to bring Apple Pay to China
- DisneyLife subscription-based app launches in the U.K.
- Apple buys motion capture company Faceshift
- Apple CarPlay included in 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage
- Apple aims to launch Apple Pay in China by February
- MasterCard giving Apple Pay users free trips on London’s public transit system
- Apple wins DRM patent case against ContentGuard
- Apple working on app to diagnose problems with iOS devices?
- Apple Music: Iovine apologizes for remarks about women; Adele won’t stream new album
- Apple expands personal pickup to Apple Stores in the UK
- Parrot Hydrofoil Drone
- Apple Pencil for iPad Pro
- IK Multimedia iRig Pro DUO
- CableJive HeroDock
- Phiaton BT 330 NC Headphones
- Ecoxgear EcoPebble Powerbank + Speaker
- Lunatik Taktik 360 for iPhone 6/6s
- Belkin Charge Dock for Apple Watch + iPhone
- SwitchEasy Aero, N+, Nude, Play for iPhone 6s/iPhone 6s Plus
- Netatmo Welcome Smart Home Camera
- Under the Radar: 10 ‘hidden’ details about the new Apple TV
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 9.0
- Under the Radar: A closer look at smaller iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus changes
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?