Hear iPod 5G’s high/low quality recording modes, compared
Following up on our First Look at Griffin Technology’s iTalkPro Stereo Microphone for fifth-generation iPods, we have now posted an audio quality comparison file so that listeners can hear the rough differences between the newest iPod’s different recording modes. The 9.1MB file, available here, contains samples of the iPod 5G in High and Low Quality modes outdoors and indoors, plus a sample of the iPod 4G in its original, lower-quality recording mode. Recorders by Belkin and XtremeMac will also take advantage of the 5G’s new modes, which were designed by Apple to enable podcasters, students, and business users to make CD- or superior voice-quality recordings on the go. Technical details can be found below.
For the technically inclined, here are some details and caveats on our recording samples.
- Segment 1: Outdoor introduction in 5G High Quality Mode: 44.1kHz stereo, low gain - bumped 15dB because volume level was low.
- Segment 2: Outdoor comparison of 5G Low Quality Mode: 22.05kHz monaural, low gain - bumped 15dB because volume level was low.
- Segment 3: Indoor comparison of 5G on Low Quality Mode: 22.05kHz monaural, low gain - bumped ~15dB.
- Segment 4: Indoor comparison of 5G on High Quality Mode: 44.1kHz stereo, automatic digital gain.
- Segment 5: Indoor comparison of color 4G iPod on its only recording mode: 8kHz monaural, automatic analog gain.
Though the iPod saves in WAV format at various bit rates and mono/stereo modes, the final file is a 192kbps, 44.1kHz stereo MP3 file, compressed from a 66+MB WAV file.
- Apple releases fourth iOS 10.2.1 beta
- Apple releases iOS 10.2.1 beta 3, tvOS 10.1.1 beta 2, watchOS 3.1.3 beta 2 to developers
- Apple reports iOS 10 now on 76 percent of iOS devices
- Leak claims iOS 10.3 beta to arrive next week with ‘Theatre Mode’
- Apple releases second developer beta of iOS 10.2.1
- Apple releases first developer betas of iOS 10.2.1, tvOS 10.1.1
Subscribe to iLounge Weekly
- Apple files lawsuit accusing Qualcomm of withholding patent royalties
- Apple releases updated iOS Developer Design Resources
- Apple’s exclusive audiobook deal with Audible ends in Europe following EU antitrust scrutiny
- Nintendo officially announces Fire Emblem Heroes for iOS, coming Feb. 2
- Rumor: Apple working on second-generation Apple Pencil
- GarageBand 2.2 adds Logic Pro X integration, Alchemy synth, Multi-Take Recording
- FTC files complaint against Qualcomm citing royalty deal with Apple
- India mulling manufacturing regulation changes which could woo Apple
- Apple Music creative team discusses the service’s exclusives, future
- Apple raising UK App Store prices by more than 25 percent
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10