Here’s why Coke’s download service is music to Apple’s ears | iLounge News

Here’s why Coke’s download service is music to Apple’s ears

“Color me paranoid, but when Apple first announced its upcoming iTunes cross-promotion with Pepsi, my first thought was that Apple was putting itself at risk by signing on with the soft drink industry’s number two player. I figured that it was just a matter of time before Napster, Dell, Microsoft, or some other player in the music download space would announce a similar deal with comfortably-number-one Coca-Cola. Sure, it would have just been yet another case of Apple dreaming up a new way of doing things only to have an unimaginative competitor steal it, but it would really have sucked for iTunes if it had worked out that way.

So when Coke announced yesterday that it would be launching its own music download service without help from anyone, I have a feeling that Steve Jobs was dancing in the streets. Even better, Coke is only launching the service in Great Britain. In other words, Coke just wants to have something out there to compete for attention when Pepsi starts giving away iTunes tracks during the Super Bowl. You knew that Coke would enter the picture at some point, but this is beautiful: they’ve taken themselves out of the picture completely…”

« Macworld UK: Poll: Santa facing iPod hell

Used 2G 20GB iPods for $229 »

Comments

Incorrect, I dont believe Coke are trying to compete with Apple/Pepsi in this respect. They are targetting Britain which has a huge market for music - even greater than the US on a per-person basis id guess, yet we here in the UK have been mostly forgotten by Apple and the like with no real choices in the music download market. I await Coke’s next move with much anticipation.

Posted by Liam on December 10, 2003 at 12:57 PM (PDT)

I would actualy venture to guess that the reason why Coke is doing this in Britain as opposed to the US is because there’s already competition here and they wouldn’t want to come off as losers to Pepsi in the end.

Posted by KenGent on December 10, 2003 at 2:55 PM (PDT)

I like Pepsi better…

Posted by Kirara in KS on December 10, 2003 at 4:10 PM (PDT)

That’s funny, because I hate Pepsi… wink

- Bill Palmer

Posted by Bill Palmer on December 10, 2003 at 4:12 PM (PDT)

I hate Bill Palmer and his stupid ### comments. I mean who really gives a ####. It’s the IPod Lounge nerdy boy.

Posted by Phil Macrackup on December 10, 2003 at 4:37 PM (PDT)

chill dude.  its just a web site.

Posted by Biscuit in Missoual MT(The boonies) on March 21, 2004 at 5:50 PM (PDT)