High-capacity replacement battery for 4G iPods debuts | iLounge News

High-capacity replacement battery for 4G iPods debuts

NewerTech and Other World Computing today introduced a new high-capacity replacement battery for all fourth-generation iPods. The $25.99 NewerTech NuPower 4G 750mAh battery “offers the maximum capacity possible with 20 percent more capacity than the factory-installed battery shipped with 4G iPod models,” according to the companies. Non-scratch installation tools and instructions are included with the battery.

Also available are NewerTech’s 2100mAh and 1800mAh iPod batteries, which offer up to 70 percent more capacity for first and second-generation models, and the 850mAh iPod battery, which offers 30 percent more capacity for third-generation models.

« Mac: AccessTunes 1.0 released

iTunes song download rate holds steady after holidays »

Comments

That’s cheap.  Installation does not look to be for the faint of heart though.

Posted by ape on March 3, 2005 at 7:14 AM (PDT)

that really-really cheap, compared to what apple offers to change our battery for us. i think its $99 or at least 59 if im not mistaken

Posted by john_ate in Bristol, UK on March 3, 2005 at 7:29 AM (PDT)

eh. only two and a half more hours of battery life? i guess that’s nice, but i was hoping for at least a 30% increase like the 3g batteries.

Posted by mdwsta4 on March 3, 2005 at 8:04 AM (PDT)

^^^ what’s the difference?

3g: 8 hrs playback + 30% = extra 2.4 hours of battery life

4g: 12 hrs playback + 20% = extra 2.4 hours of battery life

you get the same increase (in time) but longer overall playback with the 4g battery.

Posted by ACLeroK212 on March 3, 2005 at 10:33 AM (PDT)

will this work with the iPod photo?

Posted by redsoxnation in USA on March 3, 2005 at 8:33 PM (PDT)

Well here’s some of the things I notiiced applies to 3G ONLY!;

1) The Stock Batterie has only a 630mAh. Which is on the whole funny ‘couse I though I read somewhere that Apple was useing a higher 700+mAh Battterie near the end of the 3G cycle. Of which my iPod was bought in. Sounds like Apple was playin’ fast and loose here. Either that or I was just unlucky.

2) This replacement Batterie has 850mAh that’s just 220mAh more. And as the ‘ACLeroK212’ said; That’s only an extra 2.4 Hours.

3) Does the iPod prefer it’s own Format (AAC) over say Mp3?!? I’m starting to belive it! I can reasnably get aprox. 9.5 ~ 10 Hours of Playback time (Usually .m4b Audiobook Files’). While only avergeing between 4 ~ 6 Hours listioning to .Mp3’s. I’m really starting to think about re-riping everything to AAC. M4a

Posted by Ichijoe in Deutschland on March 4, 2005 at 2:50 AM (PDT)

BTW I really found the Price of $25,99(USD), to be a bargen, well untill I saw that the S&H was ***$28.49(USD)*** to get it here in Germany! So with everything it would be $51.98(USD) Some Bargen!

Does anyone know what Apple replces the Batterie with when you pay them the $99.00(USD) I mean is it just another 630mAh Batterie? Or do they use these 850mAh Jobs too…

Posted by Ichijoe in Deutschland on March 4, 2005 at 2:57 AM (PDT)

Are There any side Effects if the voltage is off at all it could damage the ipod.

Posted by Gore in Ireland on March 6, 2005 at 1:58 AM (PDT)

Apple will just give you a new stock battery. Apple doesn’t put the newer “high-capacity” batteries into any iPod. They don’t endorse them and using one will effectively void your warranty.

I literally JUST recieved an “aftermarket” high-capacity, 850mAh battery and just installed it 10 minutes ago into my new 3G that I got as a Christmas present. I noticed that the new aftermarket’s battery cables are thicker and shorter than the OEM Apple battery’s. Also, to my horror, the aftermartket battery is a bit bigger than the Apple OEM making it a feat to properly fit the aftermartket into the iPod without a lot of finessing, pushing, jamming and praying! It’s not fun and it’s not pretty!

You have been warned, so don’t be shocked if you have to jam the new battery in there. It’s pretty frightening. :(

Once finally crammed in and closed, the iPod displays the Apple logo for a second then boots up to the Main Menu screen. Everything seems okay so far. I’ve had it charging for 10 minutes and it’s going through it’s paces. What I did notice was when I closed everything up tight I shoke the iPod and could hear a little “rattling” in there. I’ve never heard this sound before. Something isn’t quite right in there I think and I might have to open back up the iPod to try and rearrange things though I don’t know what I can actually rearrange as there is, literally, not room to spare.

Well, pray for me? I’m also going to do a full battery test to see if all this hassle was worth it. If I don’t get at LEAST 2 extra hours of use, I’m going to put the Apple OEM battery back in then send the aftermarket battery back to get a refund. Anything less than 2 hours added is a waste.

Posted by FallN in New York, NY on March 10, 2005 at 9:39 AM (PDT)