Hollywood to permit legal DVD burning of movie downloads | iLounge News

Hollywood to permit legal DVD burning of movie downloads

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, August 10, 2006
News Categories: Digital Media

The DVD Copy Control Association, a film industry group created by Hollywood studios, plans to lift some restrictions to allow consumers to legally burn downloaded movies onto blank DVDs. “The impending technical and policy changes involve the copy group’s proprietary technology known as the Content Scramble System, or CSS,” reports the AP. “The association licenses the encryption technology to makers of DVD players and other electronics companies and applies it widely to movies on DVDs to restrict illegal copying. The association said it will soon expand licensing to movies that are digitally distributed on demand or a la carte—and not just for movies that are mass produced on DVDs. The group also is working with disc makers to produce CSS-compatible blank DVDs.” The removal of the DVD hurdles is seen as a sign that Apple and other online merchants will soon start selling full-length movies.

« Griffin intros PowerBlock Travel charging set

H2O Audio intros outdoor iPod nano housing »

Comments

That would be f-ing great if they would permit ripping legally puchased DVDs for use on your video iPod.  I love how they are so f-ing magnanimous when it comes making more money and real pricks when it comes to fair use.

Posted by alexarch in Dallas, TX on August 10, 2006 at 6:53 AM (PDT)

good point, or you could watch the DVD on a DVD player, and bigger screen, and get the full enjoyment out of it.

Posted by Andy on August 10, 2006 at 7:10 AM (PDT)

I really hate smug effing comments like Andy’s.  I enjoy watching video in places where my DVD player and 200 pound television can’t go.  Give yoru snark a rest there, superchief.  Just because you don’t like portable video doesn;t mean everyone else isn’t into it.

Posted by stark23x on August 10, 2006 at 7:56 AM (PDT)

I agree with alexarch and stark23x.

I have a 60gb video ipod and I purchase a few shows for my ipod (Lost for example) and I also rip my dvd’s into video files to play on my ipod as well.  Sometimes I watch them on the device sometimes I attach it to my tv.  Yes the quality is not as high as dvd but the portability of the video is a very nice feature.

Posted by Adrian on August 10, 2006 at 8:37 AM (PDT)

Wait, this doesn’t say that you can rip DVDs to put them on your iPod.

It says you can DOWNLOAD videos, burn them to disc, and play them.  IMO, this would be a great feature, as long as the downloads cost less than the actual DVD, by a substantial amount.  Otherwise, I’d rather just buy the DVD and get the packaging that goes with it.

Posted by Cameron T. on August 10, 2006 at 9:05 AM (PDT)

“Wait, this doesn’t say that you can rip DVDs to put them on your iPod.”

Exactly my point Cameron.  Hollywood is learning to exploit a new revenue stream.  Good for them for joining the 21st century, and slowly pulling their heads out of the sand.  However, they want it their way.  They continue to #### all over the consumer who already purchased a DVD and wish to watch it on their iPod.  They have successfully won the argument against format-shifting in the US which ought to be considered fair use.  #### them.

Posted by alexarch on August 10, 2006 at 9:32 AM (PDT)

Is it possible to download a DVD onto a video iPod?  I own the DVD and just wanted to know it this is possible?

Posted by macfun on August 12, 2006 at 1:01 AM (PDT)

I have a program called Podmaxx that rips dvd’s to your computer in video ipod format, then you just put it on there. It doesnt get the whole movie sometimes though, but it works pretty good.

Posted by Joey on August 14, 2006 at 9:53 PM (PDT)

i would like to know if anyone know how can i burn my dvd movies that i had purchase to my i-pod?

Posted by danny on February 20, 2007 at 8:46 PM (PDT)