‘Home on iPod’ feature removed from Mac OS X Panther? | iLounge News

‘Home on iPod’ feature removed from Mac OS X Panther?

A reader at MacRumors reports that Apple had posted information about a new ‘Home on iPod’ feature in its not-yet-released Mac OS X Panther upgrade. Apple’s Mac OS X Mobility page described the ‘Home for iPod’ feature as:

Home away from home
Ever thought you could carry your home in the palm of your hands or in your pocket? You can. Panther’s Home on iPod feature lets you store your home directory

« SmartPlaylists.com Launched

New iPod commerical airs »

Comments

holy crap!

Posted by jmc in noitacol on October 8, 2003 at 10:54 PM (CDT)

What a gimmic.

I have better things to do than wait while my computer backs up when I want to use another computer.

Posted by Adam on October 9, 2003 at 1:52 AM (CDT)

Are you both crazy? This would be GREAT!

I’m trying to lessen my dependance on multiple systems (I have a Mac at home and at work - do I really need to have a laptop to shuttle back and forth with?) But now I can just eject my iPod, take it to work, plug-in and my life continues on seamlessly? WOW!

This could be a great feature if Apple doesn’t think they’ll loose significant sales through it. I’ve discovered recently that I’m really not a laptop user (they’re nice, but I need big, BIG screens..and not at the expense of mobility) and I would more-likely continually upgrade my iPod yearly than re-invest in laptop tech.

If Apple won’t - perhaps a 3rd party?

Posted by JimInHolland on October 9, 2003 at 2:33 AM (CDT)

no kidding this feature would be huge for me
I am a video editor and being able to plug into a friend or clients machine or at an apple store do my work then take it with me no wait needed and have all my apps with me wow this is really the single most powerfull feature that i have heard thus far.

Adam what are you talking about you would login from the ipods HD and you could do the same on your home computer with out synching.

read it again and when you think you fully understand come back and make a more insightfull and educated statement.

Posted by dresified on October 9, 2003 at 3:10 AM (CDT)

I agree.  This would be a HUGE feature that would make windows user drool.

Posted by Cadilon on October 9, 2003 at 7:54 AM (CDT)

I’m Drooling

Posted by Mike on October 9, 2003 at 1:12 PM (CDT)

So you have to get your data there somehow yes? That will take time.

Sure it might sound good, almost as good as apple’s ‘supercomputers’, but I don’t see its usefulness.

You would need to do a full backup initially and then each time you sync, an incremental backup if I understand right.

Thats just my opinion, but sure if you think its the best thing since sliced bread then use it.

Posted by Adam on October 10, 2003 at 5:49 PM (CDT)

Sorry to burst your buble but Windows XP already has this.

Run the Backup Wizard (you can scriupt this or create shortcuts). You can choose complete or incremental.

You have a choice of backups/restores:

My Documents & Settings
Everyone’s Docs & Settings
All Info on PC
—-Individual FIles—-

You can backup onto (or restore from) any attached storage—local disks, network disks, USB/Firewire disks.

One nice touch is that you can integrate with internet-based storage solutions, so you can load your profile onto any XP machine anywhere in the world once you have an internet connection… you don’t even need to carry a storage disk.

Personally, I use an Archos to backup and restore. Mainly because it just mounts on the desktop as a regular USB drive, no drivers needed. I have 80GB of storage, plenty for my entire Windows environment, plus around 30GB of audio and video files. I love it and it cost me only $200!

Posted by WinXP on October 10, 2003 at 7:10 PM (CDT)

can you just plug the drive in and switch to your user? HMMM?

I DON’T THINK SO

yeah doood we are all very happy that you know how to back up your HD. let us all know when you graduate to pull-ups.

It is also quite apparent to me that you have not used OSX before. So check yourself.

Posted by dresified on October 10, 2003 at 9:23 PM (CDT)

> can you just plug the drive in and switch to your user? HMMM?

Yes I can. The beauty of scripting. Of course, depending on the permissions set on the host machine, you can be authenticated as either Admin, Power User, User, or Guest. Or not at all.

I happen to think that rigorous permissions have to be a feature of multi-user machines.

And I note, finally, that you can’t do anything like this with your iPod at all. Which is what this article was about. You *almost* had this feature, but then it was deleted. Tough luck.

And FYI, not only have I used Mac OSX, but I’ve used both BSD and Mach (Mac OSX’s ancestors) for the best part of a decade. I’ve probably forgotten more about your OS than you’ll ever learn.

Posted by WinXP on October 11, 2003 at 2:35 PM (CDT)

Owned.

Posted by Adam on October 11, 2003 at 7:05 PM (CDT)