HomeDock Deluxe offers TV screen iPod navigation | iLounge News

HomeDock Deluxe offers TV screen iPod navigation

imageDLO has introduced its new HomeDock Deluxe, the first iPod docking system to allow users to navigate their songs, artists and playlists on their TV screens. The new ‘Dock comes complete with an AC adapter that also charges the iPod while docked, a six-foot AV cable for connecting HomeDock to a TV, and an 18-button IR remote. HomeDock Deluxe displays song info and time at the top of the screen, while allowing access to more navigation at the bottom. It also displays videos and slideshows from capable iPods, and can display a built-in screensaver to prevent burn-in should the screen sit idle for too long. The DLO HomeDock Deluxe will be available in March, is compatible will all dock connector iPods, and will sell for $149.99.

« Memeo announces Memeo iExtend for iPod

Griffin intros TuneFlex for iPod nano »

Comments

Do companies ever think, if I lower the price just maybe more people will buy it.

I’d like to have this but not at the price of $150.  I thought the older AV dock from them was too much at $99.

I think some of the accessories that manufacturers are selling are simply to easy to produce and very cheap for them to be selling at the current price.

But that’s the biz, I suppose price and DEMAND.

Posted by 3rdEye on January 10, 2006 at 9:27 AM (CST)

I was definitely considering buying this until I read the price.

Posted by Anthony on January 10, 2006 at 2:46 PM (CST)

wow, this is something i’ve always wanted to be able to do. I just wish it had an RF remote instead of IR. does anybody know if anybody else is making a competing product?

Posted by shubopshadangalang on January 10, 2006 at 5:04 PM (CST)

I dunno - it seems to me that the development necessary to interpret iPod navigation info from the dock connector and redisplay it as a composite video signal probably justifies a $50 increase.  I certainly regard it as a feature worth spending another $50 for.

Posted by celtic_elk on January 11, 2006 at 11:36 AM (CST)

control your iPod on the screen and see what track’s playing without having to go over to my ipod in it’s dock? absolutely! I’ll be getting this as soon as it’s out.

Posted by hunky_artist on January 11, 2006 at 11:51 AM (CST)

Griffin seems to have quietly released a seemingly better and cheaper product:

But no word on whether the remote is RF or IR. If it’s RF, I am so there. Probably will get this one anyway since it’s $50 cheaper.

Posted by shubopshadangalang on January 11, 2006 at 2:47 PM (CST)

Any idea on what the top resolution will be on the TV screen.  Has any manufacturer indicated that they will offer a similar product using component video cords or DVI or HDMI.  I wonder if the 320x240 resolution can be upgraded to a 1080i or 1080p resolution for a high def TV?

Posted by Brian on January 11, 2006 at 3:18 PM (CST)

One thing that I wonder about is if they really care about sound quality, they should offer these with an optical/coaxial digital output from the Dock Connector. At least Apples Airport Express gives you that.

Posted by Tenchi211 in California on January 11, 2006 at 4:59 PM (CST)

more info on the Griffin TuneCenter’s video outputs:

“TuneCenter includes not only S-Video, composite and RCA ports but also Ethernet and 802.11b wireless network connectivity, enabling it to stream Internet radio stations. It also has a switch for moving between NTSC (American) and PAL (European) video standards.”
from

and here’s a photo of the back from ilounge’s CES snapshots:

Posted by shubopshadangalang on January 11, 2006 at 5:07 PM (CST)

wtf! They can’t realease this right after the holidays…....... when I got their reg. Home Dock…... to ebay with it.

I always told myself i won’t upgrade, until the newest version is released.

Posted by joemader on January 11, 2006 at 5:55 PM (CST)

Even though the DLO is $50 more than the Griffin, i’m leaning towards it. I do like the Griffin’s display more though. But, the DLO also syncs via USB which is absent on the Griffin.

Posted by Tenchi211 in California on January 11, 2006 at 6:24 PM (CST)

I hope they review both products very soon and so we can see which one is indeed the better buy. I am leaning towards the DLO one just cause I don’t really about the USB connectivity. My computer isn’t near my home stereo system.

Posted by Anthony on January 12, 2006 at 9:11 AM (CST)

No comparison, Griffin’s TuneCenter is the way to go.  Especially the wireless wifi feature and $50 less.  Thanks for the post shubopshadangalang.

Posted by paul on January 12, 2006 at 3:53 PM (CST)

I got a DLO Homedock for the holidays…. and can’t stand not having the TV Navigation…... if anyone is looking to buy a DLO Homedock, and doesn’t need the TV Nav, I’d be glad to Sell my BRAND NEW homdock to you for cheaper than new. Contact me at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) (I know the address is lame, but i’ve had it since 5th grade…...) I also don’t care about the USB connection.

I like the DLO version over the giff because it just looks nicer, and knowing my DLO dock i have now, they are great quality, even through an RCA cable.

Posted by joemader on January 12, 2006 at 4:55 PM (CST)

sure, it looks great with the remote on it, but if most people are like me the remote would end up living on the coffee table, and then the whole thing looks lopsided sitting there with the ipod on the left side.

Posted by shubopshadangalang on January 12, 2006 at 5:18 PM (CST)

I know the 2 of the 3 products (to be mentioned below) arent avail yet for anyone to do a fair comparison, but any opinion as to which product is best, giving consideration for price/specs? 1) DLO’s HomeDock ($99 version) 2) DLO’s HomeDock Deluxe ($149) or 3) Griffin’s TuneCenter ($99 withOUT WiFi -or- $149 with WiFi)
At first looks the DLO products look better and allows you to dock w/o having to remove your iPod’s skin/case. Just thought I’d get a second opinion….

Posted by LFCali on February 2, 2006 at 1:03 PM (CST)

Another quick question.. everyone seems to be asking whether or not it is RF or IR….sounds like everyone wants RF. what is the difference? I’m assuming it is it the range? Thanks

Posted by LFCali on February 2, 2006 at 1:04 PM (CST)

The number one selling point for this unit is I will not have to remove my iPod from its case (iskin).

Posted by Robert on February 10, 2006 at 9:37 PM (CST)

Does anyone know if either of these products enables display of the album art for the current song on the TV?

Posted by Blitzkrieg Bob on February 16, 2006 at 6:44 PM (CST)

Anyone else notice they have updated their interface? They’re only two pics on their site now but the one of the interface now shows an elapsed time bar much like the Tunecenter (and obvi the ipod itself)

Posted by The Man on February 27, 2006 at 10:28 AM (CST)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >