How expensive is it to legally fill an iPod? | iLounge News

How expensive is it to legally fill an iPod?

I don’t know how many other people have done the math on this one, but I was thinking about iTunes and the new iPod when I realized that to fill a 40GB iPod (legally) from iTunes would be rather expensive.  If you believe the 10,000 song capacity, it would run $9900 dollars, plus the cost of the iPod.  Assuming that an average CD album is $12.50 and has 15 tracks,  it would cost about $8,330 dollars to fill the iPod.  All this makes me wonder when a more affordable alternative is going to turn up.

« Spinning iPods

30GB iPod for $419 with free cases »

Comments

Does copying CD’s you get from the library count as illegal?  If not, then my whole ‘pod is legal.

Posted by Modus Operandi on November 9, 2003 at 9:10 PM (PDT)

The whole point to purchasing music was to play in any format you wish, anywhere. The ipod was created as a media to play music you purchased either through the iTunes music store or from a CD music store anywhere, anytime.

When people purchased LP’s, it was legal to copy LP’s to tape and play them in your car or home. Converting CD’s to MP3’s and playing them on your iPod is the same concept.

Posted by ykkrox on November 9, 2003 at 9:15 PM (PDT)

Um, most people do have CD’s you know? Then they rip these CD’s onto the iPod, and they have these CD’s regardless of the iPod. Anyway, whoever fills an iPod listens to too much music, and they wouldn’t appreciate it anyway. I’d much prefer 800 (what I have) quality songs, rather than 10000 pop radio songs.

Posted by Adam on November 9, 2003 at 10:15 PM (PDT)

My house can hold several million $100 bills.  Unfortunately, it’s prohibitively expensive to fill it with such without resorting to hard work or thievery.  Geez, when are they going to come up with a more affordable alternative?

Posted by asdf on November 9, 2003 at 11:39 PM (PDT)

agree with adam tbh.

The first day i had my iPod i stuck all my mp3’s on (about 15gig) and I was shocked at some of the crap i’d downloaded and i skippping more tracks than i was listening to which annoyed me so i removed it all and since then ive just put my favourite albums on (about 600 tracks). Now my iPod is full of quality tracks that are fit to grace such a beautiful machine smile

Posted by Whistler in Norwich, UK on November 9, 2003 at 11:45 PM (PDT)

It sheer storage space on the larger models does seem a bit insane, doesn’t it?  I’ve been buying CDs for a long long time, and I currently have around 1500 discs.  With only my favorite stuff in my 30GB iPod, my current MP3 file (gradually being re-ripped into AAC instead, about 5% done) collection is about 2650 tracks, all legit.  It still only fills about half of my 30Gb iPod.  Room to grow I guess!  I do like not having to worry about it filling up any time soon…

Keep in mind that all that space can let you do another nice thing with your own legit CDs:  Rip them at WAAAY higher rates so they all sound really good.  My old MP3 files are all at 160kbps, and I’m re-ripping them all in AAC format at 192kbps.  No problem with storage space at all…

Posted by JonYo on November 10, 2003 at 12:09 AM (PDT)

It is a little scary to think how much I have spen’t on music. about three years ago I thinned my collection down to 300 CD to fit in my CD changer. (the other 150 or so are in a box in storage) and those 300 allong with another 75 or so I have bought recently make up the bulk of my Ipod selection. allong with about 50 or so tracks I have bought on Itunes. So

Posted by Willsan on November 10, 2003 at 12:09 AM (PDT)

(con’t from above) ...so let’s say I payed Ben’s avarage of $12.50 a pop fo thoes cds. (I suspect I payed more) thats about $7500 over the years. What is really scary is the music industry is still complaining that we arn’t buying enough music. What do they want from us? blood?

Posted by willsan on November 10, 2003 at 12:16 AM (PDT)

That would be a good start yes Willsan and then the shirt off your back if you would be so kind smile

Posted by loGan on November 10, 2003 at 12:19 AM (PDT)

Of course, if they didn’t throw huge sums of good money after bad on crap artists like Mariah Carey (sorry fans) then maybe they wouldn’t need to moan…

Posted by bobysyeruncle on November 10, 2003 at 1:56 AM (PDT)

I’ve got a 30Gb iPod, with about 400 CDs ripped onto it. I live in Australia, so I can’t use the ITMS. I have only a handful of MP3 downloads, all legal. As a collector, I value the physical media as well as the music.

Guys, haven’t you realised that the higher capacity ‘Pods are for music nuts for myself with burgeoning music collections? I buy about 20 CDs a month. Personally, I need the storage space, so much so that I’m starting to worry about running out soon and have begun space reduction measures.

The beauty of the larger capacity ‘Pods is what else you can do with them. I have a 5.5Gb home drive backup sitting on this thing in addition to my 18.5Gb music collection. I’d prefer to have a 10Gb breathing space. Bigger, bigger, bigger, I say!

On the expenditure front, I know your point is slanted towards the ITMS, but I virtually never pay full price for CDs. I’m a bargain hunter to the extreme and usually pay about 60-70% of the full price. So the total amount I’ve spent on CDs is about two-thirds of the new cost. Even with ITMS available in my country, I would recommend that people buy CDs. You get physical media and can often get it real cheap.

Posted by Jason Painter on November 10, 2003 at 2:19 AM (PDT)

I spend far too much time and money scouring second hand music shops, ebay and kmart looking for bargains, but when they turn up it is very gratifying when you do turn up with a gem. I now hate paying RRP for music, even if its new. If and when iTMS comes to Australia I will probably buy a few tracks, but it is good to have the actual CD - just old fashioned (with an iPod) LOL!

Posted by yinyang on November 10, 2003 at 2:43 AM (PDT)

I wish the ipod’s capacity was even bigger, maybe 100-120G.  Then I wouldn’t have to compress any of my music.  Only a matter of time.

Posted by cougardew on November 10, 2003 at 3:28 AM (PDT)

I’m another music nut ... have a 20gig that i’ve been swapping stuff on and off for a while and it frustrates me when I can’t find the album I want to listen to.  I’ve got a nice 40gigger waiting for me in NYC but would need to keep both going to hold the music i’ve ripped so far and i’m only about 2/3 of the way through my collection (Anything I download I either delete or buy on CD).  Then there are the 15-25 CDs I buy each month…. Assuming the capacity doubles each year, I reckon they will be selling one with headroom for me in 2 years time .... imagine, a 160gig IPod.  Joy!

Posted by Gary on November 10, 2003 at 3:32 AM (PDT)

I use my iPod mostly for legal bootlegs.  I’ve got a 1500 concert collection of artists like Dave Matthews Band, Bela Fleck, David Gray, and Pearl Jam.  All the downloads were free and legally authorized by the bands.  I can fit about 400 concerts on my iPod, but I usually only carry 50 or so, along with about 200 ripped CDs.  So, with live music, you can fill a iPod for free, in theory.  If you’re crazy enough to listen to that much live music, like me.

Posted by gordyhulten in Urbana, IL on November 10, 2003 at 5:02 AM (PDT)

what a silly post. it’s not like anyone buys enough albums, singles, EPs whatever as soon as they get an ipod to fill it up, it’s accumulated over lots of years. $10000 on music over a decade or so is completely feasible. it’d be nice to have cheaper music but it’d also be nice if you could just twirl cds around your head and have it magically decoded and compressed into mp3s on your ipod. stop daydreaming and find some real news :(

Posted by NC on November 10, 2003 at 5:48 AM (PDT)

I could fill a 40G iPod sans problem! This is because all my music, all legit, is ripped at 320kbps, either MP3 or AAC. I just fear that when Apple finally comes out with a 60G iPod, my collection will possibly have exceeded that limit again, and will have to waitfor 80G… *g*
Seriously, I still have my gen 1 5G iPod, and it usually is way enough, but I would *love* to have all my music on me, all the time. It is just useless to upgrade tp 40G for me right now.

Posted by Oliver :) on November 10, 2003 at 5:50 AM (PDT)

I’m astonished that Dennis’ quality control should slip so much as to allow such a puerile post onto the news ‘front page’.

As has been pointed out, the iPod is intended to be loaded with music which you already own, or which you buy over time. Having 10,000 songs would only require an iPod owner to own 800-920 CDs if he ripped them at 128 mbps, and if he or she ripped them at 192 then a 40 GB iPod would contain only 6,360 songs or so - equivalent to 530-578 CDs. That’s by no means a large CD collection, these days.

In any case, the iPod is not just a music player - you can store images, data and other files on it too, and Apple presumably expect that many of those buying a 40 GB iPod would use their iPods for both music and data. On that basis, I could fill an iPod for $1,600 or so.

If you don’t have enough music to fill a big iPod, then buy a smaller one, or fill it up gradually, but don’t bitš h and bind about it, and don’t use it as an excuse to download music illegally.

PS: I bought 16 CDs at the weekend. Second hand from charity shops. I paid less than $50 for them.

Posted by Jackonicko on November 10, 2003 at 6:20 AM (PDT)

Well, I don┤t think I could fill up my 40GB ipod with that amount of music, I am going to be very honest, YES I DOWNLOAD FROM KAZAA, NAPSTER (the real one), AUDIOGALAXY, etc. I have filled my ipod with both legally purchased CD rips I have made and non’legally (I just buy songs from artists or groups I like)

So why spent $9000 in music, when you can also use your ipod as a storage device and even buy books (which is a great idea for all lazy readers)

Posted by theillegalguy on November 10, 2003 at 6:58 AM (PDT)

“I just fear that when Apple finally comes out with a 60G iPod, my collection will possibly have exceeded that limit again, and will have to waitfor 80G”

You can never have enough. I have 80GB in my Archos and I am running out of space! I want one of the new 120GB drives. The Archos is larger than the iPod though, so you can get bigger capacity drives.

Posted by bigHD on November 10, 2003 at 7:04 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last »