How one family deals with digital downloads | iLounge News

How one family deals with digital downloads

“He liked the easy-to-use iTunes program, and decided to make it the central jukebox for digital copies (altogether legal) of his conventional CD’s. I set up the downloading account for him, and decided to show him how to download from the music store. I selected Dutch DJ JXL’s excellent remix of the Elvis Presley song “A Little Less Conversation” and paused before hitting the “buy” button. [...]

Here’s the shocker: more than ever, he began asking us to buy CD’s for him. He wanted discs from artists he had come to know online, with the liner notes and lyrics. His less copyright-friendly buddies send him the stuff they like, and if he likes a song, he listens to a better-quality version on Rhapsody or buys the track.

Amazing but true: music downloading spurs music sales, at least in our house. (Sam’s 16-year-old sister, Elizabeth, has proven resistant to digital music’s allure, content to lug around a case full of CD’s.)”

« Give me money to buy an iPod

iPod battery lawsuit to be filed in January »

Comments

Wow…another useless story

Posted by Rob on December 31, 2003 at 11:48 PM (CST)

lol.. Couldn’t agree more.

Posted by bob on January 1, 2004 at 1:23 AM (CST)

who decides what gets posted and what doesn’t?  I think we get the point that a lot of people like iTunes.  There are some of us who do not, but I’m sure those opinions are already voiced.

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on January 1, 2004 at 3:51 AM (CST)

I think the News section should be divided into “News” and “Features.” I personally found the story interesting.

Posted by monkedsel on January 1, 2004 at 6:17 AM (CST)

It would be nice if we could possibly have some muture people on this site that didn’t always find a negative with everthing…........Seems if there isn’t bitchin or complaining nobody is happy…........oxymoron isn’t it!

I found the story to be a breath of fresh air.

Posted by Brian Fenner on January 1, 2004 at 6:44 AM (CST)

There will always be people on these sites with a stick up their rear ends, who think that anything that isn’t “fabulously entertaining” to their standards is plain useless.  New Years resolution: down with snobs!

Posted by jl on January 1, 2004 at 7:40 AM (CST)

Well duh music downloads spur CD sales, they found that out way back when the original Napster was big. That’s the fact that the RIAA is trying so hard to hide.

Posted by Dr. Webster on January 1, 2004 at 10:45 AM (CST)

It wasn’t my intent to be rude.  I’m sorry if I came came across as such.

Apologies…

Posted by dethbrakr in Tacoma, WA on January 1, 2004 at 10:59 AM (CST)

I think that was hands down one of the best non-judgemental write ups I’ve seen in a media outlet.  It’s showing how the different outlets offer a gammut of genres, which in the end, is what keeps consumers happy.  I’m personally happy to see IPLounge posting about it.

Happy New Year!

Posted by Twitch on January 1, 2004 at 12:37 PM (CST)

worst article ever

Posted by Jeff on January 1, 2004 at 1:05 PM (CST)

Well, this article was in the NYTimes Technology section, so I guess that qualifies as News.

Posted by digitaltrapper on January 1, 2004 at 1:37 PM (CST)

What

Posted by spideypod on January 1, 2004 at 1:50 PM (CST)

I love the editorial dept of ipodlounge:

search google news for any mention of ‘iPod’, then post!

Posted by Albert on January 1, 2004 at 1:55 PM (CST)

BORING!!!!!!!

that’s MY comment.

Posted by Patterson on January 1, 2004 at 1:57 PM (CST)

“I love the editorial dept of ipodlounge:

search google news for any mention of ‘iPod’, then post!”

LOL.. true true..

Posted by Bababooey on January 1, 2004 at 6:21 PM (CST)

I thought CD’s *were* digital media…

Posted by mysterious on January 1, 2004 at 8:00 PM (CST)

spideypod:

Here

Posted by Bob on January 2, 2004 at 2:25 AM (CST)

To the negative commenters—maybe you didn’t enjoy this story but some of us did.  There will always be some stories you find interesting and others you find boring.  Deal with it and quit your bitching.  You can’t expect every article on the iPod to be thrilling.

Posted by Bethany on January 2, 2004 at 6:13 AM (CST)

To the commenters of negative commenters.. Quit bitching

Posted by QUIT IT on January 2, 2004 at 8:22 AM (CST)

Doesn’t this news item read like an RIAA press release? It seems so contrived.

Posted by Atomic Bomb in Mid-Atlantic on January 2, 2004 at 8:45 AM (CST)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >