How the iPod Selection playlist makes its choices | iLounge News

How the iPod Selection playlist makes its choices

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Friday, March 12, 2004
News Categories: iTunes

On www.macilife.com, Macworld columnist and iLife book author Jim Heid describes the five-step process used by the iPod Selection playlist. This playlist debuted in iTunes 4.2 and is designed to automate the process of copying music to an iPod that doesn’t have enough space to hold your music library. But what criteria does it use to choose music? Heid found out, and he describes his findings on his site.

« iPod mini to boost Apple profit

HP launches iTunes website »

Comments

Interesting to know that iTunes is doing some sophisticated decision-making.

FYI, here’s my method for fitting a big library on a small iPod. I think it does a better job than the default, and it’s just as automatic:

Posted by Nagromme on March 12, 2004 at 11:58 AM (PDT)

I’d also point folks to my shareware program, Playlist Blender, which essentially allows users to set their own specifications for doing what iTunes is doing automatically.

Users combine their playlists into master playlist documents, setting the percentage of each user playlist they want to contribute to the master. The interface allows you to set the desired size of the master.

It’s available at [url=http://www.visi.com/~bwareham/playlistblender.html]http://www.visi.com/~bwareham/playlistblender.html[/url]

Posted by bwareham on March 12, 2004 at 3:12 PM (PDT)

Interesting article. I didn’t really trust iTunes’ automatic selection process and made my own custom playlist, but after reading the article, I can see the auto-playlist is a little smarter than I first thought.

Posted by Leigh on March 13, 2004 at 5:28 AM (PDT)

Hi,
This morning i by accidently deleted my Ipod Selection Playlist. Ive tried to upload my ipod since then however it says:

“The ipod cannot be updated because one or more of the iTunes playlists selected to update no longer exists.”

What can i do???????

Posted by ryz x on April 29, 2005 at 11:33 AM (PDT)

Hi,

“The ipod cannot be updated because one or more of the iTunes playlists selected to update no longer exists.?

What can i do???????

Well you go tp file, preferences, ipod, and check the circle that says automatically update all songs and playlists. Hope that helped it worked for me.

Now if you could help me with my own ipod problem. The ipod mini is supposed to hold 1000 songs, but mine will only let me put 140 songs onto it. PLEASE HELP ME! My email is .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) so please email me w/ help!

Posted by Jewels on July 9, 2005 at 8:18 AM (PDT)

okay so i accidentally clicked “yes” when itunes asked me if i wanted it to create a selection playlist on my ipod, but now it wont sync my ipod correctly. It won’t let me touch the music in my ipod or in the selection playlist either whatsoever! I can’t add songs to my ipod or do anything. How can i disable the selection playlist and have it go back to normal?
help please?

Posted by Farah Vitale on January 25, 2010 at 7:43 PM (PDT)