How the ‘other half’ live (without iPod) | iLounge News

How the ‘other half’ live (without iPod)

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Monday, February 9, 2004
News Categories: iPod

“I hate iPods. I mean, I really, really hate them. There, I’ve said it. My feelings towards Apple’s oh-so-clever digital music player have left me feeling ostracised and hopelessly out of the loop.

Every time I slip the latest CD into my Walkman (35), part of me wonders if I’m a freak for thinking that 400 is too much to spend on a portable music player. Am I culturally impoverished for failing to understand why it’s essential to have 10,000 songs in my back pocket when I pop out for a pint of milk? Am I the only person who doesn’t get over-excited by the sleek, minimalist design (a “touch wheel”, how clever)?”

« AudioBerkman releases “The Gadget Factor”

Beware of iPod net scams »

Comments

What a twat. “400 is too much to spend on a portable music player” - “Walkman (35)” Yeah, choose by far the very most expensive iPod and the very most cheapest piece of crap CD player, that’s a smart comparision. Many mainstream CD players are half the price of the 10GB model.
“Am I culturally impoverished for failing to understand why it’s essential to have 10,000 songs ” - No, you’re bloody ignorant. I have the 20GB (like most new owners) model and at the encoding rate I use it only holds 3000 songs, about 250 albums, which is only half my collection. I like to listen to lots of different music all the time. I don’t have to think about what I want to listen to before I go out. I don’t have to worry about scratching or losing my CDs. I don’t have something the size of a plate in my pocket. I can play music I get off the internet without burning a CD for the purpose.  I can plug it into m hi-fi and leave it to play through my music collection in any order. Why don’t you ASK your so-called friends why they like their iPods so much? Why don’t you give it a try yourself? Why don’t you go and learn to be a proper journalist, you crap Tory-loving hack?

Posted by pomegranate on February 9, 2004 at 9:19 AM (PDT)

It was written by a girl… from the telegraph too!

Posted by Ewok^ on February 9, 2004 at 9:23 AM (PDT)

*yawn*  Let me summarize the article.  “I don’t have an iPod.  Therefore I hate iPods and their popularity.  I found a couple people that got bored with theirs and an article that said that it’s popularity would wane.  I can’t stand to see other people happy with their iPod purchase.  I’m so envious that I hate the iPod for no good reason and have come with what I think is a clever name to mock the iPod: iSpod.”

This is uninspired crap.  This is as childish as hating a friend’s bike because it’s better than yours and deep down you know it.  When did a poorly argued opinion become a substitute for journalism?

Posted by duke on February 9, 2004 at 9:24 AM (PDT)

That article belongs at the bottom of my bird cage. Don’t be a hater!

Posted by Rilhouse on February 9, 2004 at 9:36 AM (PDT)

Oh come on people. Have thicker skin than that! Let her hate the iPod. She’s welcome to hate it, we’re welcome to love it. As an iPod lover, I was amused by the article. I chuckled at her, and myself. It’s all opinion anyway.

Posted by studogvetmed in Loveland, CO on February 9, 2004 at 9:43 AM (PDT)

She thinks she’s so smart with her cheap discman?  I still use my original Sony cassette walkman.  What’s with her new fancy CD player?  I hate the CD player!  Why does she need the ability to move from track to track when she goes out to get some milk.  RIDICULOUS!

Posted by Frank on February 9, 2004 at 9:45 AM (PDT)

The writer would have had more credibility if she had owned an iPod, used it and come to the conclusion that she hated it.  Since she has never owned one, her comments are somewhat bigoted.

Posted by YYWWVV on February 9, 2004 at 9:58 AM (PDT)

######!

Posted by Limey on February 9, 2004 at 10:08 AM (PDT)

It is obvious that ipods will not dissappear anytime soon and that ‘mp3 jukeboxes’ are only going to become cheaper and larger.

Soon she will join us, for now, she is just being a ‘rebel’. oooohhhhh…..

Posted by Nucleartool on February 9, 2004 at 10:14 AM (PDT)

What makes me laugh about this is that someone in a national paper is allowed a broad generalisation just because they’re not in the same category as those she despises.

Believe it or not, dear, there really are some people that love their music so much that they want to have their entire collection with them all the time. Oh, the horror! More than that, I haven’t got a cushy job at the Telegraph that allows me to work from home, where my CD collection is right next to me.

Until the Telegraph comes up with a better way to lug my 700 CD’s around, I’ll be sticking with the iPod, thanks ducky.

Name calling in the national papers. That’s really what it has come to huh? 40p a paper, money well spent? I think I’ll save mine thanks. In 3 years I’ll have saved up enough for the next gen iPod, just by not buying that drivel!! Result!

Posted by doctorjuggles on February 9, 2004 at 10:26 AM (PDT)

I think in the future iPods will vanish. As will PDAs. All we will have is a hybrid device, that combines mp3 player, PDA, camera, and phone. THey will store music and videos on the device and in removable cards (using the iPod mini 1” HDs and/or flash RAM) and they will also stream music and videos over 4G networks.

Posted by future on February 9, 2004 at 10:33 AM (PDT)

“Am I the only person who doesn’t get over-excited by the sleek, minimalist design (a “touch wheel”, how clever)?”

Yes, you are…  wink

(Bloody ignorant; well said pomagranate)

Posted by PatTheRat on February 9, 2004 at 10:35 AM (PDT)

wow. this is some recockulous clap-trap. But it is her opinion, and she is entitled ot it, however incorrect it may be…

Posted by angry_black_man on February 9, 2004 at 10:38 AM (PDT)

How about carrying 20 CDs on a road trip, or wanting to hear a song but you left that CD at home, or even having a variety of songs with you without wasting a bunch of CDRs.

I had an iPod for 7 months before selling it, now I’m just a hair short of buying my 40gig—but this 3 month period without my iPod just proves how good of a device it really is. My car is packed with CDs, cases and I’m constantly fumbling while driving. I think the people in the article are just pissed because they don’t own one—let them use an iPod for one day and they’ll switch.

Posted by narco in Burbank on February 9, 2004 at 10:47 AM (PDT)

Hey Bryony, that’s a nice “ahem!” CD travel organizer you got there. Be careful with the zipper, you wouldn’t want to scratch your CD while inserting it into your “8-track”, er, I mean Compact Disc Player.

Don’t mind her guys, she’s probably one of those people who listens to one of those awful radio stations that play the same songs 20 times a day, which probably would be considered “variety” next to her 10 disc travel tote capacity.

Actually, when you come to think of it, Bryony’s “variety” is limited to a “shuffle” mode of 12-15 tracks.

Keep shuffling along baby! It’ll be that much harder for you to catch up!

LOL iPod users!

-Stylescraper

Posted by Stylescraper on February 9, 2004 at 11:04 AM (PDT)

I don’t think that her opinion matters because she has not test driven the iPod for herself.  That’s like saying I don’t want 1 million dollars, I hate 1 million dollars just because I don’t have 1 million dollars.  Her “article” (more of a joke) does not have proof why she hates the iPod, she did not try it out or complete a poll in her area to see what other iPod owners like.  I can’t believe that they let her write this article.  It’s obvious that mp3 players are the future for music (mp3 players in general including PDA’s, blah, blah, blah).  How long has it been since someone has changed the way a portable CD player works?  The iPod changed approx. 1 year after it was released.  Many other companies have released mp3 players that deserve a good look at (although I think the iPod is the best).  Let her carry around 25 lbs of CD’s in three suitcases so she can have her music collection with her, I will stick to my 5.6 oz iPod.

Posted by whybother on February 9, 2004 at 11:05 AM (PDT)

I know with CD-MP3 players people can have around 200+ songs per disc, maybe 300 with lower bitrates.

But what happens when these CD-MP3 players can also play DVD-Rs? Then people could have DVD-Rs with 1500+ songs on them. And these are just single-layer DVD5 format. With double-layer DVD9 format, people could have inexpensive disc-based players that could store 3000+ songs per disc. THat is a serious competitor for low-end iPods and other hard-disk based MP3 players.

Posted by DVDR on February 9, 2004 at 11:22 AM (PDT)

Why bother with the DVDR?  Seems like navigation would be a huge problem.

Posted by hmmmm.... on February 9, 2004 at 11:37 AM (PDT)

Maybe, but not really.  Burning MP3 CDs (and DVDs in the future) will still suffer from being incredibly static.  The idea of re-burning a new disc every time you want a new collection of music isn’t appealing to consumers.  They want to be able to modify dynamically.

Posted by George on February 9, 2004 at 11:41 AM (PDT)

I was up until yesterday just as ignorant as that woman. i had no idea. I used to store my CDs on minidisc when on the road but space is often valuable even though I could manage to record 4 cds on a single minidisc.

that was enough. that was until i got an ipod yesterday.

now i just cant think of anything else being as good. I LOVE MY IPOD. who cares about some silly woman who doesnt know anything, she’s just ‘ipodist’. dont waste your breath people.

Posted by Tan on February 9, 2004 at 12:00 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last »