How the ‘other half’ live (without iPod) | iLounge News

How the ‘other half’ live (without iPod)

“I hate iPods. I mean, I really, really hate them. There, I’ve said it. My feelings towards Apple’s oh-so-clever digital music player have left me feeling ostracised and hopelessly out of the loop.

Every time I slip the latest CD into my Walkman (

Comments

oh c’mon guys - why the virtriol?
I think the author is simply operating under the premise of only half the story - that being the fact that iPod is a kind of super walkman.  (Am I culturally impoverished for failing to understand why it’s essential to have 10,000 songs in my back pocket when I pop out for a pint of milk? )  What she probably doesn’t get is the fact that the thing hooks to your stereo, your car, etc. and really does change the way one listens to music.  Which brings up another point: maybe she doesn’t care that much about music.  So it’s not that you have the 20g and not the 40g that’s at issue - it’s that she hasn’t been made pleasantly aware of the full benees, that’s all.

Posted by Daddo on February 9, 2004 at 2:01 PM (CST)

I dunnoe about you guys, but I left behind single-session burning a long time ago. With packet writing to CD-RW, my CDs function like big floppy drives. I can drag, drop, delete.

The new DVD packet writing formats work the same way.

Posted by reburning on February 9, 2004 at 2:02 PM (CST)

Here here! (I mean the original article)

Posted by Adam on February 9, 2004 at 2:47 PM (CST)

I’m SO over iPod hata’s.  It’s getting very old, and the arguments are always the same.  Want quality, spend for quality.  Want shiz (or fewer features/benefits), buy shiz.

Posted by matthew on February 9, 2004 at 2:51 PM (CST)

Completely unsupported arguements. All i see is jealousy.

Posted by enjoilax on February 9, 2004 at 2:55 PM (CST)

As an honest iPodder, I believe that SOME of us, not all uf us, actually take our iPoding a bit too far. Use it, enjoy it, but don’t worship it. This woman takes extremists that really want to make the iPod WORTH the money (the aformentioned “worshipers) and ridicules them, and all iPodders identical copies of these guys. Look! We even have the term iPodder! Let her enjoy her “wave of the future” from 20 years ago, and let us enjoy our musical bliss.

Posted by Sam on February 9, 2004 at 3:23 PM (CST)

If you use packet writing formats for your discs, you then have to rely upon players being extremely fast because as you delete, add, and modify playlists, etc. the disc gets extremely fragmented.  A disc is just an inferior medium for dynamic content.

Posted by George on February 9, 2004 at 3:24 PM (CST)

Thank you Adam for that worthwhile post.  I’m sure your “Here Here” without any explanation has improved the status of our society.  Thank you.

Posted by duke on February 9, 2004 at 3:26 PM (CST)

Adam, if you agree with the article why are you reading an iPod-themed website?

Posted by pomegranate on February 9, 2004 at 3:28 PM (CST)

Good point DVDR, although I don’t think you should hold your breath waiting for a reasonably priced DVD-R device whose sole purpose is to play audio formats. If it reads both layers, it will probably incorporate two lasers or a scaleable one which will drive the price sky high. It would be a waste not to add an LCD screen to the device so that it can play back video as well.

Posted by Stylescraper on February 9, 2004 at 3:34 PM (CST)

sounds like she’s bored with music too - what a hater

Posted by mckenny on February 9, 2004 at 3:34 PM (CST)

I paid $200 for a 300 disc CD changer. It isn’t the least bit portable, in fact its bigger and heavier then my VCR, cable box and DVD player stacked on top of each other. It has ghetto tagging system where you can label any disc with 13 characters. It is a precise mechanical device and probably won’t funcation for more then a few years. While I am at college, my CD changer sits in my room at home, unused and full of CDs because it would such a pain to move, a great theft risk and would take up more room then my entire desk.

I also own an iPod. Does pretty much the same thing as the 300 disc changer, except it is the size of a deck of cards. I can plug it into the stereo, I can plug it in my car, I can carry those 300 CDs with me anywhere I go. How does the desire to this make me some sort of snob?

If someone likes good music, does it matter if they listen to it on a phonograph, 8-track, CD player, Zen, Rio or an iPod? At least for me, it isn’t the means, it is the ends.

Posted by bigizz on February 9, 2004 at 3:56 PM (CST)

It is not only the music ability of the device it is the whole package. I can transfer gigs of files between home and work AND listen to music.

Obviously the extend of this kevtcher’s technology is the walkman/discman. Probaly doesn’t even own a computer let alone any mp3s.

ummm.. why does the same laptop cost more then my desktop computer?

Posted by Orpheous on February 9, 2004 at 4:00 PM (CST)

Eh, she prolly has an iPod mini and is trying to divide us all ;)

Posted by schiano on February 9, 2004 at 5:06 PM (CST)

Someone should tell her indifference is the furthest thing from love.

Posted by dave on February 9, 2004 at 5:37 PM (CST)

I admit I used to hate iPods too. I always associated them with the annoying “hip” people who listen to their iPods and wear those Adidas shoes and walk around Soho…

But now that I can have every single song I like, it is great. I was afraid that I would get bored of songs, as that person said, but as long as I dont’ listen to the same ones over and over its fine.

But there really is something great in thinking “Oh, I’d really wanna hear this one song right now” and being able to do it.

Posted by cgannon64 on February 9, 2004 at 5:47 PM (CST)

I can understand where she is coming from. I mean if I did not use my ipod in my car, I would only get like 10 min out of it a day. And that does not seem to be worth the $300 I paid for it.

Posted by kyle on February 9, 2004 at 5:54 PM (CST)

I used to hate iPods… and as a reluctant owner I still don’t have much love for the shiny box.  It’s not exactly uncommon for those to see past the shiny package folks.  Lighten up and learn to accept opinions.

I think the hate comes mostly out of the fact you can package a below average mp3 player into a shiny box and people will buy it as a status symbol.  As a little trophy to carry about and it’s sickening that people buy into things with such a fickle nature.  I detest everything the player itself stands for.  Another monopolizing corporation hard at work to rip people off in groups millions strong… and these “consumers” allow themselves to be ripped of willingingly.

As for the player itself… it does half the job of players that cost half it’s price.  I’ts nothing new to me, I’ve been using mp3 players long before Apple had any place in the market.

Posted by JimmyStewart on February 9, 2004 at 5:55 PM (CST)

I think she has iPod envy.

Posted by Dude on February 9, 2004 at 5:57 PM (CST)

“it does half the job of players that cost half it’s price”

ok name the player that does twice the job at half the price.

what would twice the job even be?

Posted by Daddo on February 9, 2004 at 6:33 PM (CST)

Page 2 of 4 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >