How the ‘other half’ live (without iPod) | iLounge News

How the ‘other half’ live (without iPod)

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Monday, February 9, 2004
News Categories: iPod

“I hate iPods. I mean, I really, really hate them. There, I’ve said it. My feelings towards Apple’s oh-so-clever digital music player have left me feeling ostracised and hopelessly out of the loop.

Every time I slip the latest CD into my Walkman (35), part of me wonders if I’m a freak for thinking that 400 is too much to spend on a portable music player. Am I culturally impoverished for failing to understand why it’s essential to have 10,000 songs in my back pocket when I pop out for a pint of milk? Am I the only person who doesn’t get over-excited by the sleek, minimalist design (a “touch wheel”, how clever)?”

« AudioBerkman releases “The Gadget Factor”

Beware of iPod net scams »

Comments

I fail to understand the disadvantages of being able to carry your entire music collection in a palm-sized device.

Posted by Mountain Man on February 9, 2004 at 4:39 PM (PDT)

I hate those who breathe oxygen.

Posted by poo on February 9, 2004 at 5:39 PM (PDT)

Why did my previous post get deleted? I was not offensive towards anyone? What gives?

Posted by Pumi on February 9, 2004 at 5:49 PM (PDT)

Okay, forget the fact that last post was deleted. I will sum up my feeling towards this article.  1st of all, her premise for writing this would have been find had she had any real, tangible reason for disliking the IPOD and those that use it. She did not. Not only does that discredit her as a journalist, but it makes her seem ignorant and lazy. I stand by the right to have her own opinion 100 percent and this is what she is voicing, but as an article hoping to contain anything redeemable or of substance to the reader, it has failed miserably.

Posted by Pumi on February 9, 2004 at 5:59 PM (PDT)

Hating the iPod is one thing, and I have no problem with her hating them. But implying that everyone who ones one is part of some kind of cult, is empty-headed drivel. She comes off as envious because she is making it as much about the people who own them as the device itself. If you hate the device stick to disrespecting that. When she moves on to trying to make fun of the people who own them she only succeeds in embarassing herself. And, as far as the people who used to like their iPods and then got bored of them, they are just attention-deficient fools. But who cares? Apple sure doesn’t. Apple’s got their money for the device. Why should they care if it’s used or not? I have to laugh at these idiots right along with Apple.

Posted by Ron G. on February 9, 2004 at 6:50 PM (PDT)

It’s funny how we all think how silly she is.  And she is bloody silly for bashing the new-fangled ipod…but as great as we all know it is as a music player, how about the fact that in addition to a bunch of cd’s, the player, case (what have you), we also don’t have to carry an address book.  We don’t have to carry a bag with large sums of paper in them.  If I’m traveling, I don’t have to hope there’s an alarm clock where I’m sleeping.  We’re not just loving tiny juke boxes here…some of you might be, which is fine.  Have fun.  Cheers.  But some of us are also backing up all the files we use for work/school/our passions and labors we’ve digitized to make them easier to live from.  Lovely.  Night.

Posted by Old Man on February 9, 2004 at 7:10 PM (PDT)

“There’s a bit of software on it that allows you to give each song a `star’ rating. Soon, you end up only listening to the tracks you’ve awarded five stars to. Then, you start getting bored of your five-star playlist. So you end up thinking that, if you don’t even like your favourite songs any more, your entire record collection must be crap. So you stop listening to your iPod altogether and switch to Radio 4 instead.”

Wait, so she’s blaming the iPod when people get tired of their songs? That’s ludicrous!!! I do that with CD’s all the time! If I buy a great CD, I’ll listen to it until I get tired of it. But now the iPod is to blame for allowing the user to listen to all his/her favorite songs? How is that a reason not to buy an iPod? “Hey, how come you’re not getting an iPod?” “Oh, I don’t want to get tired of all the good songs in my collection, so I’m sticking to CD’s.” That’s the worst argument I’ve ever heard.

I’m so flabbergasted I can’t fully express how much this point appalls me. Maybe I’ll try again later.

Posted by grandmasterfunk on February 9, 2004 at 7:17 PM (PDT)

What’s an iPod?

Posted by rdlink in Denver on February 9, 2004 at 7:37 PM (PDT)

Some people here seem to worry too much about whether people are bashing the iPod or not. As with any device, your mileage may vary.

Not everyone loves the iPod. Get over it.

If you read the comments in this forum calling the writer a “hater”, and calling the article rubbish, etc., you are just showing your thin skin (haha, and maybe some cognitive dissonance). Listen to your music, chill, relax. As long as you love your iPod, the world is good. If someone doesn’t like the iPod, it’s their problem. Hakuna matata.

Posted by slantyyz on February 9, 2004 at 7:54 PM (PDT)

Pumi-

Your post wasn’t deleted, you posted your comments on the wrong news item… See “AudioBerkman releases ‘The Gadget factor”

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on February 9, 2004 at 8:09 PM (PDT)

We’re not criticizing this person for hating the iPod.  People can have their reasons for it.  She has NONE.  The fact is that this is a poorly argued drifting piece of writing.  I’d expect a high school teacher to give it a “C” if they were feeling generous.

Posted by duke on February 9, 2004 at 9:06 PM (PDT)

Does this pass for journalism? Note to her friends…Dont Take Her Drinking!!! If she can loath a device that brings obvious happiness to her friends that much, imagine what she’ll ramble on about after a few pints! I dont think she’s a hater, just a complainer. Be happy for your friends who meet you at the pup. I only hope she can find something or someone to make her feel happy. Or perhaps what makes her happy is finding other’s who despise the iPod as much as she does. Then it’s off to the next thing to loath….

Posted by Orb on February 9, 2004 at 10:32 PM (PDT)

You cant compare an iPod to a Tamagotchi…..can you??

Posted by PodMax on February 10, 2004 at 5:42 AM (PDT)

I can handle contrary opinions backed up by some tangible form of evidence, but that article sounded like she just knocked down a 64 oz. bottle of Haterade.

I don’t worship my Pod, but it does command a good degree of respect every day I play it.

Posted by Aries73 on February 10, 2004 at 6:03 AM (PDT)

I’m a frequent reader of this site. Felt I had to post something.
I was neither a hater or lover of Mac/iPod up until 3 months ago when I got my 20gig pod. It’s great, I can listen to music while I work, in the car to and from work (no variety on the radio. since when is Outkast rock?). No cumbersome cd’s, no worry of “oh, will this burned cd-r of my favourite songs work with so-and-so’s car cd player”

There was a post further up referring to Mac being a monopoly. Please…
Mac is by no means a monopoly. There are a plethora of other mp3’s players. You have a huge choice in computer hardware/software (mac,win,unix,linux(how many version now?),freebsd, sun, amiga etc etc). Pixar is mac. Mac is a big contributor to the developement of OpenGL (directX is owned my MS you know). Your not roped into buying one. And you can’t honestly tell me that they are monopolizing mac users.

I personally am not a huge fan of Mac computers. I can use my design software on a windows machine, I can play my games on a windows machine (Marathon was stellar by the way! GO BUNGIE!!-yes, I have it for Mac&PC;). But I don’t hate them for the fact that they are so shiny. A win based computer serves my purpose better.

Below average in a shiny box at double the price?. It urks me to read that. Being in a design/concept field. It takes a great amount of time/money to design something like the iPod. The people doing the hardware, software and overall look aren’t working for peanuts. Sure there are cheaper choices. Have you ever asked why the iPod has been acclaimed for the look and ease of use (software)? It’s because they have exceptionally talented people working for them. These things cost money. And you can’t blame them for trying to make a profit. I’m not being ripped off, I’m supporting a good product and a good company.

I’m proud to carry a fantastic looking piece of electronics that many people put a lot of hard work into.

The article is baseless, and just someone running off at the mouth. I could care less really. It is a bit confusing that this was allowed for print.

As a status symbol (2 million sold is not a status symbol). And Big woop, we all buy sunglasses, cars and cell phones (generalization I know). My Guess jeans are the best fitting pair of jeans I’ve had. I could give a rats tail that they’re Guess. They’re comfortable.  Not everyone buys an iPod because it’s the cool thing to do.

Posted by Tycho81 on February 10, 2004 at 6:30 AM (PDT)

I also have been using MP3 players before Apple’s iPod. The design, intuitiveness and abilty to create a dynamic playlist did not exist before Apple released the iPod. Now, a bunch of companies are jumping on the bandwagon and trying to add more features to their new MP3 players. The buttons are large and cumbersome and feel as if they will break in a year or two. (For instance, my old Rio MP3 player has a button missing!) The iPod has no buttons, and the touch sensitive interface is sheer genius!

Posted by Stylescraper on February 10, 2004 at 7:44 AM (PDT)

this dude sucks !!! looooooooseeeerrrrr

Posted by Wolf on February 10, 2004 at 9:00 AM (PDT)

come on folks….it’s just an mp3 player!!!  it’s kind of silly how people make it out to be some kind of god sent invention.  how much time do people really spend listening to their ipod?  i use my at the gym and that’s about it.  there’s gotta be more to life!!!

Posted by sam n on February 10, 2004 at 9:04 AM (PDT)

There is definitely more to life but you gotta admit, products like these take our standard of living to the next level. If you want another example, just look at the way your razor and toothbrush have evolved over the past 6 years. I mean would you buy a toothbrush without layered bristles or a razor with simply one blade just because there’s more to life than fancy bathroom products?

Posted by Stylescraper on February 10, 2004 at 10:07 AM (PDT)

Hahaha…she is so right on, and funny. I love my ipod and have had one since they first came out, back when only real geeks had them. It was and still is a cult! Muahaha… I remember seeing the first woman with one and then I knew, it had become mainstream.

Posted by zed on February 10, 2004 at 11:21 AM (PDT)

Page 3 of 4 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >