How the ‘other half’ live (without iPod) | iLounge News

How the ‘other half’ live (without iPod)

“I hate iPods. I mean, I really, really hate them. There, I’ve said it. My feelings towards Apple’s oh-so-clever digital music player have left me feeling ostracised and hopelessly out of the loop.

Every time I slip the latest CD into my Walkman (

Comments

It’s funny how people with new technology are either deemed “geeks” or part of some weird cult. I’m an underground DJ and I love my music. Owning an iPod does not make me a nerd. On the contrary, I play nightclubs and lounges all over NYC which are considered to be pretty upscale. On occasion, I’ll be booked at a lame venue which forces me to use the iTunes music store to download (ugh!) more commercial music for the rest of you geeks to listen to!

Although I hate the lack of underground and import remixes on iTunes music store, it is definitely convenient!

It’s all about the music! Remember that!

Posted by stylescaper on February 10, 2004 at 2:02 PM (CST)

I don’t like sky tv, wat a stupid idea, being able to watch watever u want and having hundreds of channels…..i hate even more sky+ (

Posted by Rich (Ther Lover) on February 10, 2004 at 2:06 PM (CST)

Posted by Rich (Ther Lover) on February 10, 2004 at 2:08 PM (CST)

look at that…..i got so angry i sent the same thing twice…...oh my gawd!!! woooooosah!!! woooooosah!!! remember my presure points….breathe in deep…...and out…..in…...and out, Woooooosah!!! aaaaaaaaaaaand relax!!

Posted by Rich (Ther Lover) on February 10, 2004 at 2:14 PM (CST)

Hey Bryony,

Be honest. You probably own an iPod but have a lame collection. It’s not Apple’s fault!

Posted by Stylescraper on February 10, 2004 at 2:23 PM (CST)

I thought the article was pretty funny. I just got my 20 Gig iPod, and I know it was too much money and I know its a toy, and I know its a fad. Funny…I bought the first Walkman, the first portable CD player…They were overpriced too, and now I imagine some magazine subscriptions will give you one for free if you sign up.
Some people here are a bit too sensitive.Although I bought one, I can hardly rationalize carrying around thousands of songs. To be honest, there aren’t that many good ones, and my collection goes back to the mid seventies and has a good deal of classical and also includes current top 40 stuff. It’s all over the place, and I am having a problem finding that many “good” songs. Be honest, it is rare when a CD is a total winner. Usually you get 2 or 3 good ones.
I agree with the writer. I have had a car phone (remember when they called them that?) since they came out. Now every teenager has to have a colored one with a camera. Who are they talking too? Everybody has to answer the phone at the checkout now. I hate cell phones now!
This article is the perfect example of “two sides to the story”. I like my iPod, but can fully appreciate someone hating them.

Posted by Carl on February 10, 2004 at 3:35 PM (CST)

LOL!

anti-iPod on iPodlounge.

Posted by Stasyna on February 10, 2004 at 5:00 PM (CST)

Here’s my utilitarian justification, I can’t stand ads, loops and a lot of radio, and I don’t have a cd player.

she has a point about the music, some of us just don’t HAVE diverse and deep tastes for music.  Don’t like music, maybe you’re into top 40.  I for one, can just sit there and enjoy music.  Jazz, some soul and thoughtful indy/underground hip hop.  I for one can’t understand DVD culture for instance, or wine snobbery.  Do what you want with your ipod but I just hope that every one of you are music lovers, and not just poseurs.

Posted by hamp on February 10, 2004 at 5:44 PM (CST)

ipodlounger: Thanks for pointing out that I posted to the wrong spot. I must have not been paying attention.  Here are my original thoughts on this article the first time I posted:

You know, I thought that this article would be about reasons why she thought the IPOD was not as good as other players on the market or a comparison or something else useful. Instead, it is this woman just bitching about why she hates IPODs. I mean she does say that she thought they were entirely too expensive which I understand, but the people that have them get attached to them and this effects her life how? She tries to come of clever, cool and smug in her article but it fails miserably. No one has forced an IPOD on her. She can do what she wants. I suppose this includes writing that article but I feel it was an entire waste of space…

Thanks again,

Pumi

Posted by Pumi on February 10, 2004 at 7:06 PM (CST)

Plain nasty inconclusive argument.
She should simply be ignored.

Stick to CDs and bitter lady.

Posted by Strykar in India on February 10, 2004 at 11:33 PM (CST)

I guarantee that the author is angling to get an iPod given to her as a gift. She’s hoping someone will try to “convert” her with one of the new iPod Minis. Then, a few weeks later, she’ll write a rebuttal to this article, and all will be right once again with the world.

Posted by buddhistMonkey on February 12, 2004 at 3:49 AM (CST)

yeah,
all you guys are right, i’m dying to get one for i have about 20gigs of music that i i listen to all the time. although i’m not out enough to justify spending 570 AUS$ on something that i’ll use not very much. i really like the idea of the calendar on it stuff.
this woman has o idea what she’s talking about, all i say is “get one, test it out, then make your decision”

Posted by aspiring owner on February 16, 2004 at 7:58 AM (CST)

i can’t believe that you losers actually have a whole site just for talking about your geeky ipods. oh, and then you use it to whine about how someone could possibly not like them?

ipods aren’t great. there’s plenty of better, cheaper options out there, but whatever. i don’t care what shit you guys buy as you shouldn’t care what some uk women writes about a piece of electronics. oh, and i don’t care if the moderator bans me and logs my IP address, because i really don’t plan on coming back here.

Posted by jeph on May 30, 2004 at 3:29 AM (CDT)

I agree with her review, Ipods are crap, I have an Ipod and they’re boring and uninteresting. Im raising money so i can get a portable media player. Its a portable device that plays videos, mp3s and photos for 500 dollars. 100 more than the 40 gig ipod. And the ipod has half the features. Almost all mp3 players with the storage as an ipod are cheaper and a couple have a better design. its really boring to know everyone has an ipod, be different for once

Posted by Jonoah on October 10, 2004 at 4:32 AM (CDT)

Only until you get an iPOd you find it amazing beauty.

Posted by Dick Hart on October 13, 2004 at 12:58 PM (CDT)

Ohh come on!!! Reading a majority of these posts, really illustraights her point. I think the main problem here is the way in which people become so bloddy materialistic about the things. Yes,  they are cool.. But they are no cure for cancer (to quote Bill Hicks).
There are many more things to get passionate about in this life, than an over priced designer gadget which does no more than suceede in makeing people spend money they can ill afford. And all this just because they feel left out and jelous.. I Almost got one.. and am glad to say i didnt and probably never will…

Posted by Alan on October 22, 2004 at 10:31 PM (CDT)

actually haha have a look on http://www.anti-ipod.co.uk/
kinda puts things in perspective!
I agree with the maker of the site- I have nothing against iPods, theyre cool! its just the over obsessive owners!!!

Posted by magicinabox on April 14, 2005 at 3:33 PM (CDT)

Page 4 of 4 pages ‹ First  < 2 3 4