How to create notes on the iPod
The iPod notes format is a lot more powerful than most people think. It’s possible to create a link that when selected plays a particular song/album/artist right from your notes file!
As far as I know, this information is undocumented and I had to experiment a bit to figure out how to create links in there etc.
What you will need.
An iPod a text editor (Notepad etc. (or Mac alternative)) and a basic understanding of HTML will help, but it’s not neccessary.
The iPod note reader procceses basic ASCII text files. The files can have any physical extension, this has no bearing on it. ‘notes’, ‘notes.txt’, ‘notes.ipod’ etc will all work fine. Just remember that any file you create for the iPod must be saved as ASCII/Plain Text.
Let’s start with an example. Say you wanted an ordered list on your iPod named ‘My Top Albums’, that contains artist information and album name. With this list, you want to be able to click an album name and have iPod automatically start playing that particular album. Here’s how it’s done…
First, using Notepad, create the list of albums you want to include in the list.
- My Top Albums
1. The Pixies - Doolittle
2. The Beatles - Revolver
3. Jeff Buckley - Grace
4. Oasis - Definitely Maybe
Now we can create the code around the list, that the iPod can understand. The iPod uses basic HTML Hyperlink/Anchor tags to navigate to music. So, to create a link from ‘Doolittle’ in my Note to the actual music on my iPod, I’d surround the word ‘Doolittle’ with an tag and edit the line to this…
1. The Pixies - Doolittle
Now, when I view the Note on the iPod, the word Doolittle will now be underlined, when I select this link with the scrollwheel and hit the SELECT button, iPod will play Doolittle in track order!.
Now, we can apply tags to the rest of the albums…
Remember, the name of the album you use in the tag must match the name of the album on the iPod, or it won’t work. the tag is not case sensitive however, so ‘Doolittle’ is the same as ‘dOOliTTle’.
Now, save the file you have created to your ipod as MYTOPALBUMS, under the Notes folder (e.g. I:Notes), unmount iPod and have a look.
Notice that your file is displayed as the FILENAME you saved it as. (e.g. MYTOPALBUMS) However, we can change this title to whatever we like, without changing the filename.
In the notes file, we need an HTML
tag at the top. So create a an extra line that reads…
tag willnot display in the actual note.
Now we have a full funtioning ‘Top Albums’ list that links to the music, but we could go further…
The tags also work with “genre” and “artist”, so we could also have a link that would play all the songs on the iPod by “The Pixies” by changing your line to this…
By changing “music?album” to “music?artist” we are able to play music by different factors. “music?genre” is also available to us. e.g.
This creates a link that plays all your music defined as ‘Britpop’.
With the new options availble the finished file will look like this…
No doubt there are many more options available, but I have yet to test them. Unfortunately, the iPod will not recognise any formatting tags such as or etc. But there must be more ID3 tags it will recognise.
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Popular Bitcoin wallet app Blockchain returns to App Store
- Report: Apple Stores to support carrier early iPhone upgrade programs
- Report: Apple buying talk radio app Swell
- Congress passes bill to legalize phone unlocking
- Bose sues Beats over noise-canceling patents
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Modern Combat 5: Blackout
- Apps of the Week: ShipAntics, Modern Combat 5, This American Life 3.0 + more
- Report: Apple could launch own mobile wallet this fall
- Report: Apple ‘tentatively’ plans mid-September iPhone event
- Apple faces class action suit in California for labor violations
- Kenu Airframe+ Portable Car Mount
- Incipio offGRID Smart Bluetooth Low Energy-Enabled Portable 6000mAh Backup Battery
- Divoom Voombox Travel Rugged Portable Wireless Speaker
- Logitech protection+ for iPhone 5/5s and +trip
- Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless
- Incipio Steno Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
- OtterBox Resurgence Power Case for iPhone 5/5s
- Gumdrop Cases FoamTech Case for iPad Air
- Ztylus Camera Case + RV-2 Revolver Lens for iPhone 5/5s
- JBL Synchros Reflect In-Ear Sport Headphones
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks