“How to make your iPod screen red!” | iLounge News

“How to make your iPod screen red!”

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Saturday, August 2, 2003
News Categories: Hacks | Mods

pic Max Feinstein has turned his 3G iPod’s LCD display into a red display. Max disassembled his iPod and placed a 40 cent piece of red transparency on top of the LCD unit - making his screen red. Note: Opening your iPod will void your warranty.

“Since my little operation, I have had no problems operating the iPod. The backlight is really sweet looking now (the blue and red colors don’t blend - it’s just red). My hold button is just fine.. the music plays correctly… I can still transfer songs to the iPod… it’s all good! Best of all, there aren’t ANY scratches on my iPod from opening it.”

« National Post: That new white magic

iSkin eXo Now Shipping »

Comments

But it looks like there were a bunch of scratches on your ipod prior to doing it, so the last picture looks pretty bad.

That said, this is a neat idea.  Blue, Green, or Yellow would also make good colors to try.

Posted by Unixmonkey on August 2, 2003 at 1:18 PM (PDT)

Nah! I think there are not so many scratches on it, it was just the light.. Illusion I mean smile But it still looks crappy to me though :D

Posted by guest666 on August 2, 2003 at 1:40 PM (PDT)

I am one that has suffered with trying this to my iPod. I did it right after I bought a 20gb iPod. We did it all right, but we messed up with the flat cable. Since I live in Brazil its much more expensive here than in US. I couldnt find anyone to fix it for me. I suffered for more than 3 months, and only today I got my iPod back and working (I dont know till when)
Dont do it to your iPod. Now Im against any kind of experience with Macs and Apple stuffs.

Posted by garfs on August 2, 2003 at 3:00 PM (PDT)

can u see the screen without the backlight?
he must be totally nuts and yes it does look like the stuff wants applied very well

Posted by ari polsky on August 2, 2003 at 3:02 PM (PDT)

garfs I think you mean experiments.  Ya I wouldn’t do any mod like this just for a red screen.  If I was replacing something essential like a battery or something, then maybe.  I think the iPod has enough style on its own, I always get oohs and ahhs when the screen lights up and the buttons glow red (even though I wish they glowed blue).

Mike

Posted by mike on August 2, 2003 at 4:47 PM (PDT)

I understand from #### that he will be making his eXo screen protectors in various colors to match some of their cases. Check him out at [url=http://www.####.biz]http://www.####.biz[/url]

Posted by Jasson on August 2, 2003 at 5:31 PM (PDT)

Im kinda tired of the WHITE times Apple is living. I used to adore iMacs and iBooks with all that colors, especially tangerine. My ipod broke when I tried to change from red to tangerine. The first time I did it to red it worked fine, but just after that I opened again to change it to tangerine and messed up.
DONT MOD!

Posted by garfs on August 3, 2003 at 4:07 AM (PDT)

Now if you did a screen tint in the funky iPodlounge Orange….........

Posted by MadPict in UK on August 3, 2003 at 5:17 AM (PDT)

why the hell would you want the screen to be red?

Posted by ti on August 3, 2003 at 6:41 AM (PDT)

its hard to open for a reason they dont want u messin urs up

Posted by lakerslover on August 3, 2003 at 7:22 AM (PDT)

I have to say, he must have been hallucinating to actually do something crazy like this wink

Posted by psxguy85 on August 3, 2003 at 8:30 AM (PDT)

ITS always red.

looks like a pos.

no thanks.

Posted by stasyna on August 3, 2003 at 7:34 PM (PDT)

look guys i’m not asking you to bow down to my mod.. but if you have no respect for it, there is no reason to post here that it is a “pos”. just express the fact that you dislike it and move on. like mature people… cmon now

Posted by maxf on August 3, 2003 at 7:39 PM (PDT)

Why not just use a red (or green, or blue, or, hell, black) Magic Marker on the outer screen?

Posted by pos on August 3, 2003 at 11:23 PM (PDT)

you need to have the lite on all the time to see the screen

Posted by Phill in Texas on August 4, 2003 at 3:03 AM (PDT)

I can’t believe someone would actually risk damaging your iPod just to make the screen red??? Big frickin’ deal. I think it looks ugly. Stick with customizing your cellphone. That was menat to be opened up and messed with. The iPod wasn’t. Absolutely the stupidest thing I have seen on the lounge.

Posted by ntljr in Woodland Hills, CA on August 4, 2003 at 7:25 AM (PDT)

In the last picture, he has his ipod wrapped with saran wrap, those are not scratches or bad lighiting

Posted by LarryJoe on August 4, 2003 at 9:01 AM (PDT)

ntljr:

MaxF is creative.  You’re one in a million who have an iPod.  Big frickin’ deal.  Congratulations on being incredibly ordinary.

And Larryjoe, ... those’re scratches.  I thought it looked like saran wrap too, but no, just really, really bad scratches.

Posted by MyGreatDevastator in Long Island/Buffalo NY on August 4, 2003 at 3:07 PM (PDT)

oh yeah, btw, good job MaxF, I think it looks great.  Try green, it looks fantastic in the dark.  Yellow looks good too and by far the better choice since it’s light and doesn’t require illumination to see.

Posted by MyGreatDevastator in Long Island/Buffalo NY on August 4, 2003 at 3:09 PM (PDT)

I must have ruffled some feathers there!! Oh well, still a dumb idea. Read through the comments, I guess there are alot of us “ordinary” people out there who understand the old saying, “if it’s ain’t broke, don’t try to fix it.”

Posted by ntljr in Woodland Hills, CA on August 5, 2003 at 10:07 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >