How to remote control iTunes via the Web | iLounge News

How to remote control iTunes via the Web

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Thursday, July 15, 2004
News Categories: iTunes

iLounge reader John Masone has submitted a tutorial on how to set up iTunes to be remote controlled via any web browser. “This little tutorial will show you how to create a web based remote for Apple iTunes. It’s only for Mac OS X. It requires some modifications to the Apache Web Server that make it less secure, so I recommend you do this on a computer that’s safely hidden behind a router, and preferably a computer that isn’t using Apache for anything else.”

« Incase & DC Shoes announce new iPod cases

Apple: HP’s iPods coming this Summer »

Comments

I understand maybe this is useful, but why not just use Synergy?

Posted by g on July 15, 2004 at 10:36 AM (PDT)

This is not for that type of control, from what I see.  The idea is that you won’t be sitting at the computer that’s running iTunes.  For example, let’s say you bought an Airport Express for getting the music from your G5 Tower out to your stereo in your basement.  Now, you’re in your basement, but iTunes is playing that one song that you don’t know why you still have it in your music library because you hate it so much.  Now, you can break out your wireless Palm or (heaven forbid on a Mac-centric site) PocketPC and tell it to go to the next song without having to run all the way upstairs.  It’s kind of silly to think about controlling iTunes over the internet though, I still can’t think of a reason to do that.  smile

Posted by Ultima` on July 15, 2004 at 10:17 PM (PDT)

Explanation:
The reason I came up with this setup was because I have a computer thats pluged into my stereo in my bedroom. It also has a tv card in it. The screen is hanging on the wall so its not a computer you use normally. My main computer, my desktop G4 is at my desk. Since the tv mac has the stereo connected to it, i wanted to play the music through it, but I needed an easy way to control it. It works great for me. You can use it for whatever you wanna use it, but I use mine all the time. I even use it to control itunes from my ibook.

Posted by l008com on July 15, 2004 at 10:26 PM (PDT)

Ok, so you could do all this. Or you could just VNC or Remote Desktop to the machine running iTunes.

That works on Windows too!

Posted by br- on July 16, 2004 at 7:56 AM (PDT)

Media Center has had web-based control for years. Simple, easy, no configuration required - although it is, of course, endlessly customizable.

I am glad Apple is finally adding some much-needed high-end features to iTunes.

Posted by Old News on July 19, 2004 at 6:57 PM (PDT)

having read the article (!) I see that it is very little to do with Apple but instead is a clever hack. Media Center’s approach is cleaner and more serviceable.

Kudos to the Apache hacker, but it’s a lot easier if you just build in HTTP functionality and web services to the music server program from the get-go.

Posted by on th eother hand on July 19, 2004 at 7:03 PM (PDT)

I have built a web-based remote control application with an embedded web server.  It’s available at http://homepage.mac.com/markburgess3/FileSharing20.html

Posted by Mark Burgess on August 1, 2004 at 11:04 AM (PDT)

This is great, because I have a 100+ GB itunes library, but listen to music on a phone while I am out of the house. the phone stores 2 GB, which means I never have what I want to listen to, so to fix it, I use a combination of this, TCPMP, and nicecast, to listen to my computer’s music on my phone. I can change the music with my web browser. smile

Posted by Jesse on January 13, 2008 at 7:46 AM (PDT)