How to replace your iPod’s battery | iLounge News

How to replace your iPod’s battery

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Friday, March 19, 2004
News Categories: iPod

picMacUser UK has posted instructions and illustrations on how to replace your iPod’s battery. Both, old and new iPods are represented. Do not use a screw driver to pry off the back of the iPod’s case as instructed by MacUser. To avoid damage to the case, use several strong peices of thin plastic, like a guitar pick or similar. Please see the “Can I replace iPod’s battery myself?” FAQ for a list of vendors offering replacement batteries and repair services.

« Mac: iPodVolumeBooster 1.0 released

Lajo announces zipodmini case for iPod mini »

Comments

Great!

Like this hasn’t been COMMON KNOWLEDGE for AGES!?!?

Keep trying though, I’m sure you’ll find some “news” any day now…

Posted by aaron on March 19, 2004 at 8:26 AM (PDT)

I’ve just recently gotten my iPod, and am still busily studying all of the various FAQ’s that exist out there, especially about the battery.  I appreciate an article like this one, thanks—bookmark added! smile

I don’t get why it’s such a big deal to so many people that the story they clicked on doesn’t constitute their definition of “news”?  Maybe it’s news to someone else.  With a title like this story, if it really bothers you that it isn’t news, why’d you click the link?

Honest - I’m not trying to instigate anything and I don’t want to flame but I’m just wondering why it’s such an issue when something is posted that’s FYI material instead of news.  I mean, is your day somehow ruined because of this?

Relax, sit back, listen to some music and fughettabout it. smile

Posted by what's the prob? on March 19, 2004 at 9:34 AM (PDT)

Any suggestions where to get a new battery in the US?

Posted by Chris on March 19, 2004 at 9:52 AM (PDT)

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on March 19, 2004 at 9:55 AM (PDT)

I agree about people getting bent about articles and such on ipodlounge! This is a free site with tons of information, if it’s not what your looking for or if it’s “has been material”, then as stated above…don’t read it. Simple as that.

Posted by Del Griffith on March 19, 2004 at 10:53 AM (PDT)

I seriously would not use s screw driver though, why not take a knife to the finish? A guitar pick works great!

Posted by bry on March 19, 2004 at 12:46 PM (PDT)

BTW, that was a s c r e wdriver, I was not trying to swear.

Posted by bry on March 19, 2004 at 12:47 PM (PDT)

Anybody know where I can find insturctions on opening the 2G iPod? The top of mine does not look like the first one at all. The metal back actually intermingles between the headphone jack, firewire port and hold switch. I have gotten as far as getting the clips undone, but when I start to pull the top and bottow away from each other, the ports do not seem to come out. I am quite worried about bending something here…Thanks…

Posted by PatTheRat on March 19, 2004 at 1:55 PM (PDT)

typing too fast! smile

those screwy words were ‘instructions’ and ‘bottom’

Posted by PatTheRat on March 19, 2004 at 1:57 PM (PDT)

I really feel something is wrong when we have to start advicing each other how to breasth new life in a <3 years old ~500 bucks machine without damaging it. (easy said, but when your in that position right now, good luck).

Posted by dura on March 19, 2004 at 2:06 PM (PDT)

hey i dont even own an iPod why do i need to know how to open it…..GET SOME REAL NEWS…:)

yea guys give it up and just dont come here if you cant appreciate this site and dennis’ and all the mod service and dedication…itll just make this load faster for me!!!  htnaks for starting the smack down whats the prob!

Posted by rivlinm on March 19, 2004 at 2:44 PM (PDT)

Hey, can we quit complaining about the news? There can’t be earth-shattering iPod news EVERY day. Give the editors a break. This is a pretty good site, or we wouldn’t be coming back here all the time.

I agree, some of the stories are less than interesting. But whatever, it’s not ALL there is to read here. *I* certainly haven’t come up with a better site, so I’m not going to complain. If the site really sucked, I just wouldn’t bother visiting.

Lynne

Posted by lbarkett on March 20, 2004 at 6:09 AM (PDT)

So true. Did they not teach you guys in grade school that saying “If you have nothing nice to say dont say anything at all.”?

Posted by WOLF MAN on March 21, 2004 at 3:06 AM (PDT)

PatTheRat:

I also need instructions for this.  Let me know if you find anything.

Posted by Hibachi on March 21, 2004 at 6:55 PM (PDT)

haha!!! that is brilliant!!! ^

Posted by rivlinm on March 21, 2004 at 6:57 PM (PDT)

Great Artical now i can mod out my ipod and swap battieries hard drives and anything else i can rip out and replace great thanks again for the info

Posted by Civdelsol on March 22, 2004 at 9:12 AM (PDT)

2G battery replacement instructions, for those who are asking   =)

Posted by breathe on March 22, 2004 at 11:40 AM (PDT)

Thanks breathe, but that is the 1G iPod. The top is one piece where the ports are. The 2G has the shiny metal snaked between the ports, which makes it more difficult/scary to remove the back.

Posted by PatTheRat on March 22, 2004 at 12:53 PM (PDT)

How can I replace my Ipod mini’s battery?  If I take it to a store, how much should it cost?

Thanks

Posted by Zachary Whitaker on March 1, 2006 at 6:57 PM (PDT)