HP drops iTunes, switches to RealNetworks | iLounge News

HP drops iTunes, switches to RealNetworks

After nearly two years of distributing iTunes with its new PCs, Hewlett-Packard will reportedly drop the Apple application in favor of RealNetworks’ Rhapsody music service. HP’s decision to drop iTunes is no surprise after the company said last summer that it would stop selling HP-branded iPods.

“The deal marks a new direction for HP, which had seen its entertainment products overshadowed by the power of Apple’s own brand,” reports CNET News.com. “Rhapsody will now be the default music-playing software on HP’s new PCs and laptops, and beginning in spring 2006, HP customers will get a free 30-day trial subscription to RealNetworks’ music subscription service.”

« Targus expands line of iPod accessories

ezGear offers ezArmor for 5G iPods »

Comments

To state the obvious: all of this points to HP selling their own DAPs, which is what a lot of us figured they would do once they dropped their branded iPods.

While I don’t give them much of a chance at making much noise in the MP3 marketplace (ala Dell), I truly wish they would’ve chosen someone other than RealNetworks to hitch their wagon to. NO ONE should support Real.

Posted by flatline response on January 5, 2006 at 4:29 AM (CST)

And why should no one support Real?
The choices for HP are pretty slim now that they’re broken off with Apple.

Posted by me on January 5, 2006 at 8:03 AM (CST)

No one should support Real because they are a shifty company that in the past has laced their products with spyware.

I’m surprised that HP went with Real, too.  I switched to Mac this past year, but if I were in the market for another PC, I would not consider HP solely on the basis of their going with Real….I don’t understand why HP would dump the popular player for one that everyone seems to love to hate.

Posted by Cameron T. on January 5, 2006 at 9:50 AM (CST)

C’mon, really…

Did HP drop iTunes?

C’mon, really…

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on January 5, 2006 at 11:29 AM (CST)

Not to mention, by going with Real they’re a bigger fish in a much much…much smaller pond.

Funny thing is that they’ll probably make the same money they made with iPods—I mean ‘Apple iPods from HPs’.

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on January 5, 2006 at 11:32 AM (CST)

HP has been steadily declining since Hurd took the helm or should I say since Hurd was placed by the HP Board of Directors who now only look after their own best interests; Bill and Dave would have been embarrassed to say the least.

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on January 5, 2006 at 12:23 PM (CST)

Wow - what a step backwards - I would rather them not support any music service than RealNetworks, they are the turdiest of all WMA crappy services.

Posted by boombashi on January 5, 2006 at 3:01 PM (CST)

Sorry to burst your bubble Slick, but the RealPlayer Music Store sells 192Kbps RealAudio 10 AAC files, and I’m pretty sure Rhapsody uses RealAudio 10 AAC as well.  RealPlayer 10.5 even rips CDs as 192Kbps .m4a files by default.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on January 5, 2006 at 9:01 PM (CST)

For me: since I don’t buy my music online, I personally don’t CARE what bitrate Rhapsody rips its music at, or even how good their service is specifically.  I just enjoy the fact that Real Plaguer or anything else created by that scum of a company isn’t on ANY of my PCs.

Their past invasive malware and crap data harvesting policies burned their bridges with me a long time ago. I for one have no problem never seeing them rebuilt during my lifetime.

Posted by flatline response on January 6, 2006 at 5:35 AM (CST)

It’s no wonder I no longer support anything HP. First Fiorina and now this. Shame on them. iTunes IS and ALWAYS WILL BE THE WAY TO GO FOR MUSIC. And THOSE are the FACTS. Period. END OF STORY.

Posted by Jack on January 13, 2006 at 11:07 PM (CST)