HP Tunes links iTunes to XP Media Center | iLounge News

HP Tunes links iTunes to XP Media Center

“The latest Media Center PCs from HP come with a special iTunes-related feature built into Microsoft’s new Windows XP Media Center Edition software. The computer maker created the feature, called HP Tunes, to let users of its Media Center PCs play songs and playlists from iTunes within the Windows Media Center interface, the special Microsoft software designed to be controlled using a remote while sitting back in a chair or couch in the living room. [...]

Without the HP Tunes feature, Media Center PC users would need to exit the Windows Media Center interface and use the ordinary Windows desktop to access their iTunes music. That’s because Microsoft’s music software doesn’t play songs encoded in the AAC format that Apple uses.”

« Merrill Lynch expects photo, flash iPods early 2005

QuikMount in-car mount for iPod released »

Comments

Cool, but, any chance of getting this without an hpod or hp mce? I already run mce 2005…

Posted by rampage in redmond, wa on October 25, 2004 at 7:26 AM (PDT)

rampage,
I dont think so. its an OEM and built in software. probably someone out there would create a similar program in order to that. BTW, microsoft would be pissed off by this new feature.

Posted by lol on October 25, 2004 at 10:10 AM (PDT)

Rampage,

A few months back someone on the green button dot com made a request for an iTunes powertoy - essentially a skin for iTunes that seemlessly works within the Media Center Edition interface - I’m betting there are quite a few MCE owners who would rather have the functionality of iTunes working through MCE than that pi$$ poor Windows Media Player.

Any programmers out there want to take a stab at this?  I bet it would be a lucrative endeavor.

Posted by ITunes PowerToys on October 25, 2004 at 10:27 AM (PDT)

Big deal; there’s already several other programs much better than WMP than will play iPod tunes.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on October 25, 2004 at 12:18 PM (PDT)

i like this idea.

Posted by Prashant V on October 25, 2004 at 9:06 PM (PDT)

This isn’t for everybody - this is specific to people who are interested in the capabilities of the Windows Media Center edition - with its Tivo-type DVR capabilities, photo organization and its home jukebox setup - saying this is not a big deal is obviously expressing that it is not a big deal for you.  Trust me, it is a big deal to people who use MCE for music as WMP is a really bad way to organize your music.

Posted by ITunes PowerToys on October 26, 2004 at 6:15 AM (PDT)

True, this is great news to some!  I have an HP MCE and have always been bothered that all my music on the PC is stored in iTunes and in AAC format, and so I have no access to them via Media Center.  And now that they have released the Media Center Extender, I’ll be able to connect my Media PC (DVR/MOVIES/PHOTOS/iTUNES) remotely to my main large screen TV and house stereo.  Before this wasn’t possible without moving my PC/office into the living room, which wasn’t feasible.  I was worried I’d have to convert all my AAC’s to MP3’s and keep duplicate copies in order to listen to them through Media Center.

Posted by marke in Atlanta on November 23, 2004 at 12:59 PM (PDT)

Did this software become VaporWare or something? I can find NO mention of it on HP’s site and most MCE sites haven’t any new info on it for several months.

Posted by Aaron Paulley on March 30, 2005 at 9:07 PM (PDT)

Besides the HP Extender, does anyone know of any other interfaces for iPod to MCE? Dude, I just bought a Dell, and no-one there has a clue.

Posted by flixnpix in Austin, TX on April 2, 2005 at 12:47 PM (PDT)

Hey, I found a french link to a HP Tunes download.
I tried it on my Sony Vaio MCE and it works great.
Here it is:

Try it, it should work on a dell, it worked on my sony.

Posted by trav on June 10, 2005 at 10:45 PM (PDT)

Hey trav,

I just installed this but I can’t seem to find the HP Tunes features from Media Center. Can you please advise?

Thanks!

Posted by roy on June 28, 2005 at 1:30 PM (PDT)

I recently bought an HP Digital Entertainment Center, used media player to rip my CDs in WMA lossless format to the c drive, and backed up the My Music folder onto an HP personal media drive (z drive).  I see album art when I view the album folders on the c drive but not when I view the back-up copies on the z drive.  Can anyone tell me why that is?  Also, I don’t yet have a media center extender, but a friend gave me a Roku M2000 which will allow me to play on my living room stereo the songs that are on my HP DEC, which for now needs to be in a different room.  Can anyone advise on the pros and cons of the following options to control and play my music:  (1) using media player, which I understand will work with the Roku if I download Windows Media Connect; (2) using iTunes, for which I would transcode a copy of my WMA Lossless files into AAC at roughly 192kbps; or (3) using HP Tunes, which I understand provides an interface between Media Center and iTunes?  If I do import my music into iTunes, will the album covers be imported too?

Posted by CB on January 28, 2006 at 2:10 PM (PDT)

i don’t understand the error that needs to be fix in itunes everytime i open up my hp tunes, i have all my songs in itunes..so what else needs to be done??

Posted by kaye on June 11, 2007 at 8:08 AM (PDT)

I didn’t think i would need this feature so i uninstalled it. Now that i did every time i would boot up my comp the boot where it would say “windows xp” the blue bars would stop and never move again i thought it was just booting up slowly, so i left it there for a while but nothing. So i went into safe mode and system restored, nothing changed and it would not boot up i bet if it successfully booted up it would fix the problems (cause most funtions in “safe mode” don’t work). i have no other means to fix my computer i have typed this so maybe i would find solutions to fix this very irritable issue i hope someone can help me or this comp is going to the dump….

Posted by Douron on May 31, 2010 at 7:39 AM (PDT)