HP unveils iPad rival TouchPad tablet | iLounge News

HP unveils iPad rival TouchPad tablet

image

HP today unveiled its upcoming TouchPad tablet device, a likely rival to the iPad. Looking remarkably similar to a first-generation iPad, the TouchPad features a 9.7-inch, 1024x768 multi-touch screen—the same size and resolution as the iPad—a weight of 1.6 pounds—the same weight as an iPad 3G—and measures 7.48 inches x 9.53 inches x .54 inches, or just slightly wider, shorter, and thicker than the first-generation iPad, which measures 7.47 inches x 9.56 inches x 0.5 inches. Beyond those physical similarities, the device also shares several technical features with the iPad, including 802.11n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR wireless capabilities, 16GB or 32GB of internal storage, A-GPS in the 3G model, a digital compass, stereo speakers, and an accelerometer. It will be powered by a dual-core 1.2 GHz Snapdragon processor, and will also feature a gyroscope and a front-facing 1.3 megapixel webcam.

The device will run webOS 3.0, the next-generation of the operating system debuted by Palm in its Pre handset, offering “true” multitasking, a “Touch-to-Share” feature that allows for the transfer of data from one device to another by tapping the two devices together, wireless printing, a full web browser with Adobe Flash support, and more. Several aspects of webOS 3.0 demoed during HP’s unveiling event looked very similar to those found in iOS 4.x on the iPad, most notably the mail application and the on-screen keyboard. WebOS 3.0 will also support wireless communication between webOS-based smartphones and the TouchPad via a new Touchstone dock. HP said that Wi-Fi-only, 3G, and 4G versions of the device will be available this summer, with pricing to be determined at a later date. [via Engadget]

« Verizon iPhone 4 launch sees smaller crowds

AT&T to launch unlimited calling to any mobile number »

Comments

Looks suspiciously like that popular Apple product by a similar definition… Maybe HP should try something new like hiring some industrial designers so they can make something original.

Posted by Bob A Booey on February 9, 2011 at 2:52 PM (PDT)

I agree with #1;
I like to see competition but all you see is the same style of layout, the same size, and other.  When you view the presentation pictures taken by visitors, you see that even the presentation style is copied from Apple.

This is crazy.  I wonder which competitor is going to bring out a iTunes like identical layout styled structured store called “YouTune” or “MediaTunes” ... LOL

It seems to me that everyone acknowledge that the iTunes/app store is the hit.  Since no one has anything like that, they are sceptic and not 100% sure if their product will pull off.  So the best thing to do is, to walk Apple’s trail.  Well,.. nothing wrong with that.  The consumer will get tired of the similarity, and Apple has the trump card on their hand.

Nothing against Apple, I like their product(s).  Just funny how competitor’s trying to compete with layout and style of another competitor… ;P

Posted by dennis on February 9, 2011 at 9:02 PM (PDT)

Since when does Apple own the “screen on a square”? It’s a tablet, it’s not a “special design” from Apple. It’s common sense that is how a tablet with no keyboard should look.

Saying it looks like the iPad is just stupid.

They both look how tablets with no keyboards should look.

Posted by Justin on February 9, 2011 at 9:19 PM (PDT)

While the TouchPad may not be an iPad2 killer, it will certainly thin out the Android-Honeycomb tablet market, especially if it is priced aggressively and makes it to market soon enough.

The Pre3 and Veer look promising too. If I hadn’t made an investment in iOS devices already, I would contemplate WebOS devices as a viable alternative. The Synergy between devices (not just the Synergy messaging UI) is much better than iOS and is a level of interoperability that WP7 and Android devices will never have.

Posted by Dan Woods on February 9, 2011 at 9:44 PM (PDT)

I agree with #3;
After the debacle of iTunes compatibility, Palm have learned not to fool around with Apple. HP’s laywers would have crossed all T’s and dotted all I’s when it came to any sort of design patents.

Apple may have even given HP/Palm carte blanche when it came to any design patents to inject a bit more innovation into the industry. Apple thrives in a competitive ecosystem and Android devices have hardly been competitive when it comes to innovation. There may have been a Patent Deal in return for the ePrint/AirPrint deal.

Posted by Dan Woods on February 9, 2011 at 9:57 PM (PDT)

@2, 3 and 5 - It is true that Apple (or HP, Dell, Samsung) does not own the “screen on a square” concept. But it is just a little naive to think that HP & co. are not riding the coattails of Apple here. Until the iPad, the idea of a tablet was a rotational (semi)touch screen and a physical keyboard. Apple really forged the way for the trend we see now. Really…just look at this TouchPad. It is almost exactly an iPad in the picture above. Not that there is anything wrong with that. HP knows that the iPad has the market right now. Why not use that in any way they can?

However, it would be wise to take a different angle for those wanting to truly compete. While “imitation is the sincerest form of flattery”, it also has a way of bolstering the imitated devices credibility. “If it was good enough to be so frequently copied, maybe it really is the best there is” is a legitimate thought many will have. That sure held true for the iPod. My teenagers call every MP3 player an iPod. It transcended the product name and became the default technology name in many circles (think Band-Aid, Vaseline, etc.). Other companies are making worthy competitors, but Apple has the market leader…and the hype to keep it there for a long time.

Posted by Mitch on February 10, 2011 at 6:21 AM (PDT)

In a way y’all right and in another not.  I understand your comment of “It’s common sense that is how a tablet with no keyboard should look.”.

The point is that iPad competitors not trying to implement their own design.  Look.  The menu run’s on the bottom, the company logo in in the middle of the back part, the brezel is shaped like iPad.

If I would be a designer/developer, I would see where I can make a difference.  A different menu coming from the side, a front touch glass that has a round curve to it. There are so many options to explore.  Of course my ideas can’t be seen as the end solution.

My point is that we have to be honest and admit that these hardware and software designer are getting hired with high-end salaries and the product they come up with is (without offending anyone) kind of disappointing.

I’m not saying that apple has it all right, but at times I miss the creativity and initiative of these developers.  It even look that most don’t even know what “you” & “me” post on blogs, or discussions through out the web.

One Pro of the HP tablet I would like to point out, the Touch-to-Share function.  this is pretty neat.

I wondered for a while apple has not implemented a wireless sync between their devices and iTunes.  this is one example ....

Posted by Dennis on February 10, 2011 at 6:28 AM (PDT)

Right down to the Home button and shape/size.  Arguably, it’s hard to really be different.  But look at the iPhone too - until it came, nobody had a similar design.  Now, the ‘Driod phones mostly look like the iPhone (4)
Give Apple credit where it’s due - they set the standards for design, and others basically have to follow it.  That’s how good they are.
But let’s not forget the good thing here - competition. this just means that Apple are now working to once again separate themselves from the followers.  And they will.
It’s astonishing that companies like HP/Microsoft/Dell/Samsung are so soundly beaten to the market by Apple.  It shows how forward-thinking they really are.  And like it or not, the internal secrecy is part of how they pull this off - time after time.

Posted by sb on February 10, 2011 at 11:50 AM (PDT)

@ #8, ... I agree.

Posted by dennis on February 10, 2011 at 6:57 PM (PDT)

Was looking forward to Palm’s entry here, but so far feeling kind of depressed about them.  By the time this stuff comes out the iPad 2, Playbook and Honeycomb tablets from numerous competitors will all be out and the HP stuff will have trouble getting noticed.  Not really shocking given how recently HP acquired Palm, and how long Palm sat on their hands.  But sad nonetheless.

The UI looks nice and all, but not clear there are enough advantages here to overcome the Apple lead.  The deficit in app support, the ecosystem support, iTunes, etc all seem more important than the differences here.

And anybody thinking this isn’t a copy of the iPad is crazy.  The iPad is too heavy.  This is also too heavy.  Why is it 10” and 1.5 lbs?  Why not 9” and 1.2 lb?  Because its an exact freaking copy!  A little creativity would have been a good idea here.

Posted by Fanfoot on February 10, 2011 at 9:39 PM (PDT)

It’sgood to see other competition for Apple, it will focus their designers and developers to keep moving forward.
I guess as others have said there is little that can be changed in the looks of a tablet device of this type.

For me the key is ease of use and peace of mind that stuff works.
With my iPad (and indeed other Apple devices I own) I have a high levelof confidence that software that I load on will work, and also that adding my media to it will be straight forward.
I dont want lots of different tools and converters to manager my music, video and office file.

So this device looks interesting, but I’ll stick with my iPad, iMac and iTunes for now.
And wait with interest to see if anything in the iPad2 gives me a reason to upgrade!

Posted by Cyberman in nr Heathrow, London on February 11, 2011 at 1:16 AM (PDT)

What a Rip off! Shame on you HP, have you heard about Industrial Designers? guess not.

Posted by OSMAC on February 14, 2011 at 11:51 AM (PDT)