HP’s iPod to be released on Friday? | iLounge News

HP’s iPod to be released on Friday?

“Hoping to make a big bang in consumer electronics, Hewlett-Packard plans on Friday to unveil its long-awaited HP-branded iPod, along with its first televisions, an entertainment hub and the usual array of new printers and cameras, sources said.”

« HP debuts “iPod+hp” for 9-15-04 release

The iPod shuffle, for better or worse »

Comments

I’m willing to bet that apple will release the secret feature of the new ipods sometime around friday. Also does anyone think that hp releasing tvs has anything to do with the speculation of a video out ipod?

Posted by Eman880 on August 26, 2004 at 12:27 PM (CDT)

I still have been trying to figure out the point of the HP iPod. Obviously this benefits Apple, but why brand it to HP in the first place. There is something very sketchy about this whole thing, anyone who is in the know please enlighten me about why this is even necessary.

Posted by Lupin III on August 26, 2004 at 12:38 PM (CDT)

From what I have heard, the HP iPod is nothing different or new from a current iPod, it is just rebranded. I could be wrong but that is just what I heard.

Posted by Quiks48 on August 26, 2004 at 12:44 PM (CDT)

Lupin III,

Nothing that mysterious at all. HP paid Apple a boat load of money so they could piggy back on Apple’s cool factor. HP pays for the branding as a marketing ploy. Apple still makes all the money from the hardware sale. I personally don’t see why a consumer would bother buying an ipod through HP, but i’m guessing a discount will be offered when packaged with a system.

Posted by pigpen65 on August 26, 2004 at 12:53 PM (CDT)

HP blue = blehhhhh

Posted by HP blue hater on August 26, 2004 at 12:55 PM (CDT)

Lupin III:

Apple went to HP. Jobs confirmed it. They wanted iTunes on a PC desktop.

Posted by Neutral on August 26, 2004 at 1:34 PM (CDT)

Why the HP iPod? The reality is, Apple alone can’t reach out to all the potential iPod customers. The majority of customers are using PCs and most of them have been engrained with the fact that anything “Apple” is not compatible with the PC. In order to market the iPod to the biggest audience, Apple needed to put it with a big PC name. HP and Dell are at the top.

BTW, the HP iPod is not blue. It looks exactly the same as a conventional iPod.

Posted by Neutral on August 26, 2004 at 1:57 PM (CDT)

for those who don’t know HP is a shitty company, with poorly made products.  I for one will never purchase anything with their name on it again ( I have a printer from them that works when it wants to).

Posted by DC on August 26, 2004 at 2:05 PM (CDT)

Eman880 writes:
“Also does anyone think that hp releasing tvs has anything to do with the speculation of a video out ipod?”

No, I think HP is just trying to compete with Dell and Gateway, both of whom sell TV’s already.

Posted by AndyH in Berwyn, PA on August 26, 2004 at 2:22 PM (CDT)

HP iPod was a great decision for both parties.  But, I think HP will get more benefit from the deal than Apple will.

HP is dare I say…a more open minded company than Apple and will benefit greatly from this partnership.

Don’t be surprised when the HP iPod starts outselling the Apple iPod.  To a lot of comsumers Apple is just to foreign of a concept to embrace…even though us at iPodlonge know it works fine with PC’s.

Posted by Big Sid on August 26, 2004 at 2:43 PM (CDT)

I think this is a bad idea. Some people are already calling any mp3 player on the market an ‘iPod’, this will only confuse things more.

Anyone remember Apple and UMAX were married?

Posted by narco in Burbank on August 26, 2004 at 3:18 PM (CDT)

I disagree when you say this is beleficial only to HP- Apple’s market is very limited. Many of you may not realise it, but outside the US and central Europe Apple aren’t very well known, at all. HP on the other hand have the largest clientell list in the world (when t comes to PC hardware that is) and so them “expanding” apple’s spread is only natural, and this will make them much better known than they are now.

Here in Israel, for example, very few people have ever heard of an iPod, let alone know anything about it.

Posted by GMMorris on August 26, 2004 at 3:41 PM (CDT)

Thanks everyone for giving me the input. It still doesnt make sense to me. I dont know, but I think apple is stretching things a bit here. I would think stupid people would say, hey HP makes an iPod, awesome. and then this will result in less people wanting iPod computers because of the whole branding scheme. I know alot about advertising, as I work at an ad agency, and this just seems to weakens Apples self-image they have worked so hard to gain. Maybe I’m crazy.

Posted by Lupin III on August 26, 2004 at 4:19 PM (CDT)

Finally I can have a decent mp3 player and not have to give apple lovers their due.  I would never buy any apple products, but now i can have an “hpPod” with no remorse.

Down with the apple lovers!!

Posted by I hate Macs on August 26, 2004 at 4:23 PM (CDT)

GMMorris-

You make a good point, but when you combine your point with the point of NARCO, that iPod is becoming a generic term, Apple runs the risk of HP upstaging them in the long run.

I don’t think long term this arrangment will benefit Apple, except for HP does have to pay them for the iPod.  In terms of Brand awareness HP is going to eclipse them.

Also, I believe, once it’s proven that HP has solid music products I think they will drop the iPod and go with something from their own R&D labs…this may be their way of shooting themselves in the foot, but we’ll have to wait and see.

When my iPod dies, all things being the same, I will replace it with an HP iPod.  I’m just more fond of their products and their image of being a bit more rugged/masculine/or whatever the word is I’m looking for.

Apple seems to be a little to artsy for me.

Just my thought…hope I didn’t offend anyone.

Posted by Big Sid on August 26, 2004 at 4:25 PM (CDT)

I think this is just like rebadging for cars.  Toyota releases its younger sibling Sion to taylor to a greater population.  Apple obviously wants to be known all over the world, and HP is a good way to get there.  A HP branded iPod will still require apple’s iTunes software, so the name will still get out there even though its not on the iPod itself.

Posted by Jonny427 on August 26, 2004 at 4:26 PM (CDT)

My guess is that this is a pure $$$ strategy rather than a branding strategy on Apple’s part.  I think Apple just wants to sell as many iPods to the world as possible through HP and take a share of the profit from them.

As people have mentioned before, Apple’s brand, no matter how strong it is with a portion of the market, is small relative to the world market.  To maximize their profits, they have to maximize the market, and the quickest way is through HP right now.

Both companies will benefit from the profits.  HP will also get to jump in the music market.

However, Apple will still have a card up its sleeve by controlling the distribution of new generations of iPod (I can’t imagine Apple giving up this control).  HP will be dependent upon Apple in a year or two, so ultimately, Apple is still in the driver’s seat.

Posted by Observer on August 26, 2004 at 4:42 PM (CDT)

GMMorris,
haha, that’s cute. Apple is very well known in Australia, as well as Japan.

Posted by Harrison in Melbourne, Australia on August 26, 2004 at 4:54 PM (CDT)

I think HP missed already the “iPod Rides”. There is no point of buying HP ipod unless they are cheaper. Here is Australia, everyboody is selling ipods it. You can even get a free 20 Gb 4 Gen Ipod when you subscribe in 24 months mobile phone. Poor strategy for HP, HP management thought that they might be under supply of ipod. Apple is flooding the market already and everybody like to be Official Ipod Reseller. Blue Ipod, what’s that, Ahh, Ipod imitation! Not a real deal for people who are into ipods. White Ipods and mini have status symbol for among teenager and music lover. I know it is shallow but it is a fad.  Unless it will play ogg, then probably it will have future maybe.

Posted by NS on August 26, 2004 at 5:08 PM (CDT)

I would be happy, even eager, to buy an HP iPod if it has a better price, a better warranty, or is better supported. I hope that HP doesn’t just brand an Apple-mandated, but can do some innovation. Especially if HP can give the iPod a decent battery life.

Posted by Nicolas on August 26, 2004 at 5:16 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >