HP’s iPod to be released on Friday? | iLounge News

HP’s iPod to be released on Friday?

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Thursday, August 26, 2004
News Categories: iPod

“Hoping to make a big bang in consumer electronics, Hewlett-Packard plans on Friday to unveil its long-awaited HP-branded iPod, along with its first televisions, an entertainment hub and the usual array of new printers and cameras, sources said.”

« HP debuts “iPod+hp” for 9-15-04 release

The iPod shuffle, for better or worse »

Comments

Apple is so much the enemy of open standards that it would be hard to imagine any product that Apple invented becoming universally popular. Would the CD or the DVD be found in every home if Apple invented them and refused to widely license them? It’s hard to think of a company whose policies are more anti-competitive than Apple.

Posted by Nicolas Martin on August 26, 2004 at 2:20 PM (PDT)

NS- since when did HP have better support than apple? apple is rated the highest in customer service out of any of the major computer companies- hp and compaq were all they way at the bottom. (consumer reports)

Posted by chuck on August 26, 2004 at 2:46 PM (PDT)

Hello,

HP Ipod users will be eligible for software support on the Windows platform, wheras Apple will be devoting Software assistance to Mac OS. Additionally, the standard service agreement is One year with availability to upgrade in the future.  Although the terms have yet to be disclosed, I believe that users will have unlimited assistance Via Phone for 90 days and potentially the entire first year which will set the HP Ipod apart from others. [url=http://www.hpshopping.com]http://www.hpshopping.com[/url] will be accepting pre-orders starting tommorow, pricing and info will be available on the website or you can call in for assistance

Posted by HP Ipod pre-release Aug 27 on August 26, 2004 at 3:26 PM (PDT)

Anyone who hates Macs has never used one. Period. If you say otherwise you are lying.

Posted by moron on August 26, 2004 at 3:33 PM (PDT)

I use macs all the time. I hate them.

I would without a doubt get an HP ipod if the price were cheaper.

Posted by moron is a moron on August 26, 2004 at 3:54 PM (PDT)

I repair computers for a living (for best buys geek squad)  and guess what… over half the computers that come in for me to repair are HP… coincendence… I think not.  Good luck to all those who buy one.

Posted by techy on August 26, 2004 at 4:16 PM (PDT)

techy—

what kind of repairs are you doing? hardware?

anything else, in my opinion, would be user level and not HP… correct me if i’m wrong please

Posted by Schiano on August 26, 2004 at 5:42 PM (PDT)

Anyone up for a bet here?  Within a year, HP iPods will outsell Apples iPods.  I would love to bet money, but let’s just make it a friendly wager considering the limits of iPodlounge.

Post a comment stating your bet, and we’ll check back in a year.  I’m putting a reminder in my Treo600 right now.

MY BET: HP!

Anyone else game?

Posted by Big Sid on August 26, 2004 at 6:29 PM (PDT)

Shiano, thats a fair question, about a third of my repairs are software related, i.e user screwed something up.  But the rest are hardware based, I see a lot of issues with HP products such as, but not limited to, fans pooping out and frying processors, burned fuses, and even pieces falling off.  However i do agree alot of people im sure will buy the HP pod, most of them probably will not have problems… its just my experience with HP products is that they are not well made.  For all who buy an HP ipod when they come out… I hope im wrong

Posted by techy on August 26, 2004 at 6:35 PM (PDT)

Thinking purely like a communist, the HP iPod has the potential to let people who otherwise couldn’t afford an iPod (assuming it’s cheaper) afford one.  This is good for Apple because it increases sales at the iTMS and this is also good for HP because not all of the profits go to Apple for the license.  And, of course, it’s good for the person who gets the iPod.
I do want to see some pictures, though.

Posted by Alden on August 26, 2004 at 6:45 PM (PDT)

Hey alden, you can look on google…it’s kinda ugly, but that was also a 3G ipod.  It kinda looks translucent blue.  I’d prefer an apple white ipod, but HP has a better student discount and you can get 3% back through fatwallet…so I dunno what to do.  I might go to Best Buy to get one and add an extended warranty so I can swap for a new one within 2 years should the battery die or a new 5G model come out smile

Posted by me on August 26, 2004 at 7:23 PM (PDT)

Hi Chuck, when did I say HP has better support? It’s Nicolas saying that not me.

Posted by NS on August 26, 2004 at 7:33 PM (PDT)

I thought the HP branded ones would the the 3G versions.

Posted by tetro on August 26, 2004 at 7:35 PM (PDT)

The deal seemed better for Apple when they first made it. They did it so that they could get iTunes pre-installed in evey HP computer. The iPod at this point is ubiquitous, so the deal isn’t quite as necessary, but I believe the deal is still good for Apple.

To laud the HPod over the iPod or vice versa is ridiculous. What a shallow, pointless argument. They are the same product! Why in the world would Apple allow the HPod to be cheaper? Hell, if that were the case, the choice would be too easy.

Posted by Questioner on August 26, 2004 at 8:05 PM (PDT)

I wonder if this means there will be a new iTunes out? I hope so. There are so many things I dislike with iTunes, but I have to use it to make iPod Alarm compatible playlists.

Or maybe HP will produce their own PC only software that is superior to iTunes (not hard at all)?

Posted by praenuntius on August 26, 2004 at 9:37 PM (PDT)

The iPod is showing on hpshopping.com - just type iPod in the search box.

It’s totally the same!

Posted by MJS on August 27, 2004 at 12:15 AM (PDT)

Is this going to be popular?  Why would people want a 3rd Gen instead of 4th Gen?

I know there have been issues with 4th Gen, but why would they start marketing an old product.  Surely Apple have stopped making 3rd Gens or did HP buy up the rest of the stock?

Posted by 4th Gen? on August 27, 2004 at 12:54 AM (PDT)

Big Sid the Big Troll strikes again.

Posted by The Raven in USA on August 27, 2004 at 3:10 AM (PDT)

“Apple is so much the enemy of open standards that it would be hard to imagine any product that Apple invented becoming universally popular.”

You obviously don’t know what you’re talking about.  Please go out and buy yourself a clue.

Posted by The Raven in USA on August 27, 2004 at 3:12 AM (PDT)

“I use macs all the time. I hate them. ”
Why do you use them?

Gee this fits Einstein’s definition of insanity: “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.?

Posted by The Raven in USA on August 27, 2004 at 3:16 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >