I Lost My iPod | iLounge News

I Lost My iPod

Two nights ago I left my iPod in a cab. I hailed it at 3:00 AM after working an 18 hour day of lifting and moving. I put the iPod down to take my wallet out and forgot to pick it up. I didn’t take notice of the cab company (there are at least 12 companies in Toronto). I called a few of the majors up and left a description, but I am not optimistic.

I just want people to understand that they need to label their iPods. I had looked into various services of pre-made stickers with serial numbers or having it engraved but I never got around to it. Even if someone found it and wanted to return it they couldn’t.

I bought the 10GB model in August 2002 and I can honestly say that I have used it almost every single day. My next paycheque is going to be dedicated to buying a new 10GB model, but I wish it didn’t have to come to that. I can’t afford the 15 or 30GB models, but I eventually plan on buying the dock and remote.

Please people, even if it’s an ugly sticker with your email address on it, please label your iPod.

« PodShop May Sale Ends Today

Becart Announces New iPod Stand »

Comments

sadly in todays world, you’d be very lucky if it got returned, even with a label on it :(

Posted by chris on May 30, 2003 at 10:15 PM (PDT)

Another way to label your iPod is to write a small textfile with your name and address and store it as a note.

Posted by Henrik on May 30, 2003 at 11:07 PM (PDT)

good idea, some people may not be clever enough to find the notes, or even think of looking in them

Posted by Losimagic in UK on May 30, 2003 at 11:20 PM (PDT)

my e-mail adress and my name are engraved wink

And just a little tip:
i wanted to buy the 10 GB iPod and order the dock and remote, but all together, that would have been almost the same price as the 15 GB iPod with dock, remote and case included, so i ordered the new 15 gig…

Check the prices !

wink

Posted by PhilR on May 30, 2003 at 11:41 PM (PDT)

Damn, now I’m really scared :-(

Posted by hellRaven on May 31, 2003 at 12:38 AM (PDT)

Label it? Do you think people on this earth are honest enough to actually contact you once they find a free iPod for themselves?

They’ll probably rip off the sticker and keep it for themselves…

Posted by Rish on May 31, 2003 at 12:52 AM (PDT)

they wouldnt have all the stuff so how would they use the iPod?

Posted by ti on May 31, 2003 at 1:27 AM (PDT)

you can buy replacement docks/cables, and all you need is the ephpod software

Posted by Losimagic in UK on May 31, 2003 at 1:58 AM (PDT)

the 2nd gen iPods already have the serial numbers engraved on them

Posted by pasco on May 31, 2003 at 2:26 AM (PDT)

as do the 3rd gen

Posted by Losimagic in UK on May 31, 2003 at 2:33 AM (PDT)

i feel sorry for his loss, but i’m one who would never sit my 30 gig $499 investment down anywhere in public but in my pocket or carry case.  even when i let others hold it to look at or listen to, its never out of my sight.

Posted by jsmoove7 on May 31, 2003 at 3:02 AM (PDT)

Can’t afford it? It’s only a $100 extra. Go to Best Buy (Do they have those in Canada?) and use the no interest payments for 6 months option, and pay $60 bucks a month.

Posted by TiMike on May 31, 2003 at 3:19 AM (PDT)

Sorry `bout your loss…“I feel your pain.” Thinking….How about a future enhancement to “brand” the ipod’s firmware/cmos or lock via password etc. the ipod in some way to which the ipod would “phone home” whenever it was connected to the net via itunes/driver etc, as well as making it unusable… This might be a good way to trackdown a srupulous ipod thief or, atleast make it unusable.  Intern having a message of some sort to drop it in a mailbox, with the apples address on it postage paid via apple. Then you could be able to get it back simmilar to lost keys or cellphone… If it was registered… Just an idea.

Posted by ej on May 31, 2003 at 4:38 AM (PDT)

I actually work for a Mac reseller, so I get them at dealer cost. I know the 15 Gig is about the same as the 10 GB plus the accessories. I just want to replace it as soon as possible, and then buy the accesories later. I may get a 15 if my paycheque is big enough.

I have some faith that some people would return it if found. Remember, most non-technical people wouldn’t even know what it is and once the batteries are gone it would be totally useless to most people.

When I called the cab companies to file a report it took me about 2 minutes to describe what it was and what it looked like. The operators had no clue what an iPod was, or an MP3 Player for that matter.

Thanks for the condolances everybody, but this post is more of a public service than a call for pity.

jsmoove7, like I said in the original post I was working for 18 hours mainly doing heavy lifting getting our new store ready for opening. When I got in the cab at 3:00 AM I was barely awake. Under normal circumstances I know where my iPod is at all times. Under those exhausting circumstances I slipped for a split second. It cost me my iPod. I think most people are like us, very careful but we are all capable of a brief lapse and that’s why I recommend the labeling. I am glad to hear you are so careful with yours and I hope noboidy else loses their iPod.

Thanks again, everybody.

Posted by Kenneth Armstrong on May 31, 2003 at 4:42 AM (PDT)

You see, this is why I always label my underwear.

Posted by jerseyfreeze on May 31, 2003 at 4:42 AM (PDT)

Kenneth Armstrong: do you often lose that in cabs? smile

Posted by Losimagic in UK on May 31, 2003 at 4:52 AM (PDT)

as a citizen of toronto, and knowing the pain of losing something in a cab, ill give you a word of advice: you wont get it back mate. Sorry if it sounds harsh, but its like finding a grain of sand in the atlantic. There are atleast a dozen cab companies, i recommend you go back to the place you tagged it down, and get a list of all the cabs you see ( names of them ), and call the comapnies ASAP.

That might help. If you had a good driver who cares about his customers.

Posted by Stasyna on May 31, 2003 at 5:56 AM (PDT)

That might help. If you had a good driver who cares about his customers.

Posted by Stasyna on May 31, 2003 at 5:56 AM (PDT)

Sorry to hear about your loss man. Just out of curiousity, what is the dealer cost?

Posted by gooer on May 31, 2003 at 6:06 AM (PDT)

Did you register your Pod with Apple before it got lost?  If someone were honest and intent on seeing that the lost Pod gets back to the rightful owner, they could contact Apple with the serial number on the back of the unit and I would think that Apple would try to get in touch with you if the unit were registered.

If you have not registered, I would do that ASAP.  Long shot, but might get lucky, you never know….......

Posted by Luminocity on May 31, 2003 at 9:53 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >