iBikeMount for iPod nano announced | iLounge News

iBikeMount for iPod nano announced

imageThe iBikeMount is a new iPod nano accessory that allows you to quickly and securely mount the device to the handlebars of bicycles, exercise machines, and strollers. It attaches to a variety of handlebar sizes (22 mm–26 mm) and requires no tools to install. The iBikeMount is priced at $30 and will begin shipping on March 15, 2006.

“The new mount eliminates the inconvenience of digging the iPod out of a pocket, removing it from an armband, or bringing a dangling lanyard up to the face in order to make selection or setting change.  iBikeMount keeps the Nano safely in plain sight and within easy reach by securely attaching it to the handlebars.”

« Mix: RealNetworks, Aussie warning, Tesco, Parentcasting

Pod2Go Windows beta released »

Comments

That’s cool the other one was $80 right?

Posted by Jonathan Keim on February 15, 2006 at 8:32 AM (PDT)

Wow. If I had one of those, I would have to be REALLY carefull not to fall into a sand trap. Or, anything else. Fall, and nano is dead.

Posted by aceospades on February 15, 2006 at 8:44 AM (PDT)

Wow—what a sad, ironic juxtaposition of news articles this morning:

- Following the death of a woman in Australia, local officials strongly recommended against iPod use while riding bicycles.
- Buy the new iPod bike mount now!

Granted, the mount makes it easier and a tad safer considering less fiddling, but one still has to pay close attention. Perhaps the optimal solution would be a bike mount with integrated speakers? wink

Posted by atomik on February 15, 2006 at 9:05 AM (PDT)

Did you guys post this on purpose? In the previous post (Mix) you post news on the lady that died while listening to her ipod on a bike. Now you post iBikeMount? Ilounge you so crazy.

Posted by El Yaqui on February 15, 2006 at 9:07 AM (PDT)

“The iBikeMount is a new iPod nano accessory that allows you to quickly and securely mount the device to the handlebars of bicycles, exercise machines, and strollers.”

El Yaqui (or is it Andres or maybe ZED?)
This mount can also be used on other objects as mentioned in the report.

Cycling in any urban environment calls for the cyclist to be fully aware of what is going on around them. If they choose to reduce their available senses by one and wear any form of earphones attached to any music device that is their choice.

Cyclists are victims of road accidents everyday, even if they don’t wear earphones, and amazingly in the UK it is still not law to have to wear a cycle helmet.

The main cause of death among cyclists is head injury - a fall from as little as 3 feet onto a kerb can kill you.

Ever thought that walking in a busy city can be risky wearing earphones? Didn’t hear the taxi sounding it’s horn as you crossed against a red light?

Maybe the makers of this iPod holder are the ones you should call “crazy”?
Maybe this device has a warning supplied for it to be used only in areas where traffic is not a risk. Like in a closed park or off road?

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on February 15, 2006 at 9:32 AM (PDT)

Bob,

Dont get me wrong I just thought it was funny how you guys brought out the story about the dead lady after ya’ll post the iBikeMount right before… plus you had already posted something about the iBikeMount before… its not like its news. But like I said dont get me wrong I love your site! I feel like Im talking to a celeb Bob.

Posted by El Yaqui on February 15, 2006 at 10:40 AM (PDT)

<i>Maybe the makers of this iPod holder are the ones you should call “crazy??<i>

Don’t blame the messenger, is that it?

Still, I think it’s safe to say that the irony of posting these two stories so closely togather, whether incidental or not, is not lost on your readership.

Posted by flatline response on February 15, 2006 at 11:00 AM (PDT)

#9484 pointless iPod exploitation

I would feel leery attaching my iPod to my bike for fear of it falling off or fear of me falling and having my device skid along….

Posted by mflat5 in USA on February 15, 2006 at 11:28 AM (PDT)

Any bike holder recommends for non-nano owners?

Posted by Jason on February 15, 2006 at 11:30 AM (PDT)

No way in the world would I use this for my bike! Especially after last years little fall I took. Mountain biking in the woods. Narrow trail. Squirrel jumps right infront of my bike I swerve fall over the edge (it was a steep slope no cliff or anything). Did a million tumbles. The end result was a concussion for me and a couple of stitches. The end result for by bike was bent frame. I can’t imagine taking a fall like that with my nano on the handle bars.

However wouldn’t mind having it on the handle bars to my treadmill…

Posted by Glorybox3737 on February 15, 2006 at 6:39 PM (PDT)

this would be ok but what if it slippe out? or if the ear phone cord got hung up in the petals? questions to ponder, to buy? or NOT to buy

Posted by LawnBoy on February 15, 2006 at 6:50 PM (PDT)

How small of a bike are you gonna put this on LawnBoy? lol I would imagne that you would be able to wrap the cord around the thing…

Wish there were better pictures somewhere.

Posted by Werewolf on February 16, 2006 at 7:25 AM (PDT)

Re: Any bike holder recommends for non-nano owners? (Jason)

Duct tape.

Posted by Martin on February 16, 2006 at 6:23 PM (PDT)

There are pictures of the iBikeMount in use and a short statement about listening responsibly at http://www.ibikemount.com.

Posted by bbqnut on February 18, 2006 at 4:40 PM (PDT)

wear a bike jersey and pit it in your pocket….can you imagine the dangling headphones to your steering….....???? this is dumb

Posted by Drew Holmes on February 19, 2006 at 8:56 PM (PDT)