iBikeMount for iPod nano now shipping | iLounge News

iBikeMount for iPod nano now shipping

image

The iBikeMount, which allows you to easily mount an iPod nano to the handlebars of bicycles, exercise machines and strollers, is now shipping and available for order. It attaches to a variety of handlebar sizes (22 mm–26 mm) and requires no tools to install. The iBikeMount is priced at $30. “The new mount eliminates the inconvenience of digging the iPod out of a pocket, removing it from an armband, or bringing a dangling lanyard up to the face in order to make selection or setting changes. iBikeMount keeps the nano safely in plain sight and within easy reach.”

« Mix: Music sales, NAND flash, Goombah, EarBuddy

HandStands offers iGadget Grips for iPods »

Comments

i can see it being helpfull on a machine. but a bike? eh…what if you have an accident, flip thru the air and fall? your nano will go into nano pieces!

Posted by tool on March 31, 2006 at 9:54 AM (CST)

It is not a good isea to listen to any audio withg earphones while cycling.

Posted by Tony D. on March 31, 2006 at 10:21 AM (CST)

This just seems like a bad idea.

Posted by ahMEmon on March 31, 2006 at 10:27 AM (CST)

I don’t think it’s intended to be used in an area where listening to music while riding your bike would be dangerous. It’s that whole common sense thing - oh yeah, that old cupcake. I think it’s a good idea in some ways. I would like to have something like this if I didn’t feel like I was sentencing my iPod to death at the first fall. The only place it’s safe to use is either in a rural area like where I live or in the woods where I DEFINITELY don’t want my iPod exposed.

There’s also the fact that they’re asking $30 for this thing which I wouldn’t even consider buying by my own free will unless it allowed me to keep my iPod sealed up at the same time which defeats the purpose.

I think that pretty much makes it official - it’s a bad idea. lol

Posted by Werewolf on March 31, 2006 at 10:38 AM (CST)

It’s a bad idea to ride your bike with earplugs. Just as it is while driving.

While training on a stationary exercise machine? Yes.

$30? No.

Posted by Rich A. on March 31, 2006 at 11:18 AM (CST)

it looks like a gun from the profile shot. well, at first it did.
yes, this is a bad idea. my solution? wear a shuffle in the sportcase around my neck and under my tshirt. no worries about damage to my 5G

Posted by m on March 31, 2006 at 11:51 AM (CST)

Australian police have warned that cyclists should never listen to an iPod while riding unless they have a death wish.

“If you’re a cyclist and you want to stay alive, I wouldn’t wear an iPod under any circumstances,” said Assistant Commissioner (Traffic) Noel Ashby.

Posted by Muero on March 31, 2006 at 12:49 PM (CST)

Uh, you guys ever heard of a bike path?  Not everyone is an urban bike warrier.  And there are plenty of trails I ride my MTB on that are perfectly safe to ride without danger of crashing.

But, personally, I use my shuffle clipped to the strap of my camelbak when riding, so I don’t need one of these.

Posted by Chris on March 31, 2006 at 2:26 PM (CST)

Umm yeah did anybody read what I said? Definitly not an urban thing! Chris is right - it’s perfectly safe on bike paths an in rural areas. On the other hand, there is always a danger of crashing. I don’t mind getting scraped up, but I want my iPod looking mint 24/7 so you can count me out. Anyway, the main reason I bought a nano is that it’s the best one for being active with because you can’t really tell it’s in your pocket. I’ve found that if I have it face up in my pocket I can adjust the volume and even skip songs without taking it out of my pocket - that’s right, through my pants. Easy! Ok so you wouldn’t wanna do that while riding in the woods but would you wanna screw with that thing on your handlebars either???

...I didn’t think so…

Posted by Werewolf on March 31, 2006 at 5:39 PM (CST)

i am a serious biker and i use a shuffle on the lanyard whereever i bike. think this is a good idea for my mountain bike, mos def not for my bianchi road bike, but i wish they made it for da 5g vid that would be sweet

Posted by killa on March 31, 2006 at 7:02 PM (CST)

As a biker I find earplugs dangerous as they prevent me from using one of my senses. But I do like to listen to music while riding, so I purchased a PocketParty for my shuffle. I pop rivited a broom handle clamp to it and I can quickly mount it on the handlebars of any of my bikes. It makes just enough sound to be heard but not cut out traffic sounds.

Posted by gear on April 3, 2006 at 5:35 AM (CDT)

my 30 minute daily bike ride does not include auto traffic.  this is perfect. $30? not so much.

Posted by Dan on April 3, 2006 at 8:00 PM (CDT)

What is wrong with all you guys?  No music while riding?  C’mon ~ what a bunch of fags!  If you can’t ride and listen to tunes then you shouldn’t even try running either.  Dumb Dumb Dumb!!!

Posted by al on April 5, 2006 at 10:19 PM (CDT)

I don’t see the problem with bikers listening to music AS LONG AS the volume is kept low.  I bike commute daily through traffic and music is almost a necessity to me.  A good beat keeps me pumping and helps me stay focused.  But personally I think the mount is a bad idea because it draws the eyes away from the road.  I can change the volume and songs on my iPod Nano while it’s in my pocket without looking at it, but having it in front of me would be a tempting distraction!  Plus there’s the falling thing (and you’re attached to it via earbuds) and $30!?  It doesn’t even have a rain shield!

Posted by Purplevyrus on January 6, 2008 at 2:21 PM (CST)