iBooks app to be optional on iPad | iLounge News

iBooks app to be optional on iPad

image

According to text found on Apple’s iPad features page, the iBooks app for iPad will be an optional download from the App Store, instead of a pre-installed application. The iBooks application serves as a virtual library and reading application, and also offers access to Apple’s upcoming iBookstore for purchasing new e-books. “Download the free app from the App Store and buy everything from classics to best sellers from the built-in iBookstore,” the passage reads. Apple is expected to begin shipments of Wi-Fi only iPad models in late March or early April. [via Daring Fireball]

« Mobiola Headset transforms iPhone into wireless PC headset

Apple to debut $1 SD TV shows alongside iPad? »

Comments

I still want to know if iBooks will be available for the iPod touch and iPhone. I use my touch as a reading device thanks to eReader.com and Amazon’s Kindle, but if Apple doesn’t make it cross-iPhone OS-platform, I won’t be buying any books from Apple’s service. I WILL own an iPad, but my iPod touch never leaves my person, whereas my iPad won’t be with me 24/7 for a quick read.

Posted by Daniel S. on February 11, 2010 at 11:10 AM (PDT)

This suggests that the “duplicates native functionality” argument won’t be used by Apple to disallow, say, the Amazon Kindle app on the iPad, because strictly speaking it won’t be duplicating *native* functionality.  I’m unsure what this means for the prospect of loading non-iBooks content into the iBooks reader, but presumably there are plenty of other third-party readers for the iPhone that one could use for existing EPUB content, and doubtless iPad versions will follow soon.

Posted by celtic_elk on February 11, 2010 at 11:20 AM (PDT)

Someone beat me to it, by my first thought on reading the story was this is their way of avoiding the undoubtedly problematic matter of A) going back on their policy of forbidding any and all apps that duplicate the core functionality of the device or B) dealing with the backlash and negative fallout from killing the Kindle app and other readers.

Doing this will let them behave as though they are open minded, even though I’m still waiting to read the almost inevitable rejection of the Opera mini browser for iPhone OS.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on February 11, 2010 at 12:50 PM (PDT)

It also provides the flexibility of being able to update the application’s functionality without requiring an entire OS update—something I’ve frequently wished Apple could do with some of the other built-in apps.

This may be especially relevant with iBooks, since I have a sneaking suspicion that v1.0 may be a somewhat basic initial version that Apple will add enhancements to later.

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on February 11, 2010 at 1:12 PM (PDT)

doesnt make sense if you look at apples core , iTunes is built to work with the iPods , iPhones and now the tablet , as well as all Mac computers and PCs . This would make it where the only way to buy books would be on the iPad . What about backing up your books , or going threw your books to see what you own . What about being able to read books threw your computer ?

Posted by PITBULL831 on February 12, 2010 at 12:09 AM (PDT)

through….through not threw

Posted by Greg MacIntosh on February 12, 2010 at 7:51 AM (PDT)