iBoom iPod boombox now shipping | iLounge News

iBoom iPod boombox now shipping

picDigital Lifestyle Outfitters (DLO) said today that it is now shipping the iBoom, its $149.99 boombox solution for the iPod. The 20-watt per channel, four-speaker sound system fits all iPods (including iPod mini, but not iPod photo), and features a fully digital FM stereo with four station presets and amber backlit display. “Users simply drop their iPod or iPod mini into the DLO iBoom dock, hit play and enjoy their music on the beach, at a party, or almost anywhere.” The DLO iBoom can be powered by six D-size batteries or AC power, which also charges the docked iPod as well.

« Tunewear announces Icewear case for 3G iPods

MCE to sell Tunewear iPod products »

Comments

Pretty cool—but I wouldn’t pay that much. Still, I bet they’ll sell OK at that price for a while.

Posted by Nagromme on November 24, 2004 at 7:25 AM (PDT)

Sounds pretty nice if it has decent sound quality, although the lack of iPod photo support is a shame. I don’t have an iPod photo, but eventually would like to get one. I hope ipodlounge will do a review of this one soon.

Posted by sjonke in Maryland, US on November 24, 2004 at 7:47 AM (PDT)

> fits all iPods (including iPod mini, but not iPod photo)

So it _doesn’t_ fit all iPods then.

Posted by Lawrence Mikkelsen in New Zealand on November 24, 2004 at 11:26 AM (PDT)

Definitely the dorkiest looking iPod accessory around.

Posted by wired in L.A. on November 24, 2004 at 5:30 PM (PDT)

This began shipping at least 2 weeks ago because I have one.  I ordered on the 7th and had it on the 12th I believe.  The sound isn’t bad but it could be better.  They should have designed a remote to operate the volume and perhaps integrated it with support for operation of the iPod when it is mounted in the radio.  I have a bit of trouble with the off/on button.  Also, the posting on the news page of iPod lounge here claims it has 4 presets but in fact it has only 2.  I double checked the iBoom’s instructions and sure enough, it is two presets not four.  Oh, and it has a built in antena so reception on the radio is quite limited to only near by stations.  I live in a large city and am able to pick up most stations but not all.  I’m kicking around the idea of returning it but am unsure.  I wish someone else would come out with a better product.

Posted by lsw999 in US on November 24, 2004 at 6:08 PM (PDT)

I just don’t understand why people don’t just buy a “nornal” boom-box with aux-in settings. It just seems like a really bulky accessory for the iPod, and is quite limited in its use.

That being said, I think the Tivoli Audio iPAL is the greatest thing in the world, so what do I know?

Posted by Lawrence Mikkelsen in New Zealand on November 25, 2004 at 3:35 PM (PDT)

I also got the iboom and was initially pleased with it. isw999 stated a few of the problems I thought it had..another is that it has an intereference hum that does not go away. I realize people will think it’s the quality of the files on ipod..but I rip at 256 aac and 320. The instructions say this is normal when the ipod spins up, but should go away after a few seconds..well with mine it didn’t. The bottom line is just like everything else for ipod it is way to costly for the quality it is. I sent it back the next day. If it were under $60 bucks I would definitely have kept it. I stick to something that I said in another forum on this..the sound beats the altec lansing docking speakers..and the look is better than on the pics..but just not worth the cost imho.

Posted by delgriffith in Saginaw MI on November 26, 2004 at 8:57 AM (PDT)

Has anyone had this problem?  I received my Iboom and found that the audio volume wouldn’t really register until the knob was turned three-quarters of the way up, and even at full volume it was not as lound as my 4 watt Altec Lansing speakers.  They said the unit was defective and they sent me another one which was just the same.  Is it really 40 watts?  I returned the second one.  If it had worked, I would say the quality is about the same as a $29 boombox.

Posted by Tom54 in PA on December 3, 2004 at 8:07 AM (PDT)

The iboom is way over-priced for what you get. And that’a assuming
you get one that works. I didn’t. It failed to recognize my mini-ipod
was connected. The FM reception was quite limited, thanks to the
interior only antenna (this is a plus according to the packink box).
On FM, when you crank up the volume you start to get a lot of distortion. When the volume is turned al the way down, the speakers
hum and hiss. It probably goes without saying that I returned mine.
For further feedback on this inferior product, go to ‘ipodlounge.com’
and do a search for “iboom”. I wish I had found this before I ordered
mine.

Posted by iluvmusic on December 6, 2004 at 5:39 PM (PDT)

I went into CompUSA last night to see this thing for myself. I’m looking for a way to play my iPod though speakers, but also want FM radio since man was not meant to live on music alone. My impression was the iBoom seemed a little cheap for the price. The slot you place the iPod in (and I did insert mine to hear how it sounded) was not a smooth fit and seemed likely to mark up the case after a couple of uses. The FM radio apparently has just two presets. Finally, and most importantly, the sound was not very good at all. Very muddy with insufficient bass and no real high notes.

I left the store with a second dock and a Monster iCable to plug into my Sony bookshelf system. Not as neat, but much better sounding and about half the price.

Posted by bipto in Minneapolis, MN on December 15, 2004 at 6:42 AM (PDT)