iBreath iPod add-on features alcohol breathalyzer | iLounge News

iBreath iPod add-on features alcohol breathalyzer

image

The iBreath is a new iPod accessory that purports to combine an alcohol breathalyzer and an FM transmitter. “Just fold out the BAC blow wand and exhale into it for a full 5 seconds. 5 seconds later, this jail-saving gizmo let’s you know if you’re safe to drive,” says David Steele, the company selling the product. “It even houses a timer that can be set from 1 minute up to 4 hours in order to remind you when it’s time for the next test. And if keeping you out of the pokey isn’t enough, this cool gadget doubles as a wireless FM transmitter to beam your tunes directly to any FM stereo.”

« Analyst: Apple could sell 8-12 million iPhones next year

Apple working to increase iTunes sales in Japan »

Comments

Here’s an idea…  if you’re so addicted to alcohol that you need this gadget to help keep you from drinking and driving, maybe you should consider quitting drinking…

Posted by good grief on September 11, 2006 at 10:41 AM (CDT)

OK!  That’s just going to far with the iPod accessories!

Posted by 3rdEye on September 11, 2006 at 10:46 AM (CDT)

GIMMICK! GIMMICK! GIMMICK!

I saw these portable breathalyzers tested on TV and they were proven to be innefective in testing blood alcohol levels. In fact, there’s always small print on the packages for these things stating for “entertainment purposes only”. If this thing is going to be sold as a true, accurate breathalyzer, they better be prepared for lawsuits if this thing doesn’t work.

I’d like to see iLounge test this product out. I’m curious to see the results.

Posted by kloan on September 11, 2006 at 12:28 PM (CDT)

Whoever tested that out was drunk as hell! .12??

Posted by Jonathan on September 11, 2006 at 12:44 PM (CDT)

Brethalyzer and FM transmitter…that is the oddest combination of features…ever.

Posted by Jeff Martin on September 11, 2006 at 12:48 PM (CDT)

You would have to be p!ssed to buy one of these! What a waste of time and money!

Posted by 911joe on September 11, 2006 at 12:56 PM (CDT)

So, having the breathlyzer stops you from driving the car drunk and crashing it.  But then tuning the iPod and FM transmitter causes you to crash the car.  Sounds like a Friday afternoon back-of-a-beermat invention to me.

Posted by Dopial on September 11, 2006 at 1:13 PM (CDT)

from the website:
“I can’t think of a better gift for a young person with an iPod. This product makes staying sober, cool!,” Joseph Melillo, a retired New York Police Officer explains.  “I gave one to each of my teenage drivers and their friends wanted them as well”

Wait…...so he wants these kids to drink? lol.  How about just teaching them not to drink….

Posted by MatrixSJD on September 11, 2006 at 2:20 PM (CDT)

MatrixSJD

this just in: teenagers drink!

Posted by wmurch3 on September 11, 2006 at 3:20 PM (CDT)

that’s so cool!

i dont drink, but still

Posted by mrmojorisingi on September 11, 2006 at 5:57 PM (CDT)

I want to know where I can get a toaster add-on for my iPod.

Posted by Mr. Anderson on September 11, 2006 at 6:26 PM (CDT)

MatrixSJD is right. Joseph Melilo, a copper retiree, seems to think teenage drinking is okay and acceptable. This product will make stupid teenagers think its cool to drink if they have one of these.

“This product makes staying sober, cool!”
How exactly this product makes staying sober cool?

The law makers should give harsher punishment for DUI involving minor, like couple of years in the pen.

Posted by Ppt on September 11, 2006 at 6:37 PM (CDT)

I’m well aware of that wmurch3, however, if my parents were to hand me something like this, I’d think “oh, I guess they want me to drink, as long as it’s not dangerous…”  It sends a bad message, is all I’m saying.

Posted by MatrixSJD on September 11, 2006 at 7:39 PM (CDT)

When I was in high school and college, I was usually the designated driver. (I rarely drank myself, and always had my transportation covered in advance.)

I would have LOVED to have had one of these, because it would have made it easier to get the keys away from other people who shouldn’t be driving. (A lot of people don’t want to admit they’re impaired even with a designated driver available.)

Posted by BJ Nemeth on September 11, 2006 at 7:44 PM (CDT)

Calm down everyone.  It’s just a bit of fun, a reason why you should buy this thing rather than an iTrip or whatever.  Didn’t you notice that ‘Joseph Melillo’ is an anagram of ‘I sell hemp, Jool’?  First thing that struck me…

Posted by Christopher Ferguson on September 11, 2006 at 8:05 PM (CDT)

‘I sell hemp, Jool’? First thing that struck you?!? lol I guess I’m not one of the cool kids.

I agree with BJ Nemeth. Although I think it might make some kids think that drinking is cool, as some suggested, I can see how useful this iPod accessory would be when it comes to convincing some friends of mine that they really shouldn’t be driving. It’s easier on one’s pride when the call comes from a machine (which acts as an objective third party in all those “Drunk!” “Not drunk!” arguments).

Posted by FRANCOIS LAFLAMME on September 12, 2006 at 2:28 AM (CDT)

they should also have the ipod condom dispenser

Posted by godzilla2007 on September 12, 2006 at 11:48 AM (CDT)

Um, maybe they think drinking is cool because it is!

You hear that kids?  Don’t think for yourself!  If you see gizmo connected to an iPod, it must be cool so drink up!  Have another shot and get it up to .20!

Posted by beanball on September 12, 2006 at 4:25 PM (CDT)

you americans are so conservative. Not every country has a legal drinking age of 35.
Kids will drink, you can’t stop them, but at least when equipped with a breathalyser they’ll be able to know whether they’re fit to drive or not, although as kloan said, these breathalysers are wildly inaccurate so it’s a moot point.

Posted by haha on September 13, 2006 at 1:18 AM (CDT)

MatrixSJD, you quoted Joseph Melillo incorrectly.  He does not promote teenage drinking.  His actual quote stated “I gave one to each of my of-age drivers and their friends wanted them as well.”  If you are going to make an arguement using someone else’s words, at least make it valid.

From: http://www.davidsteele.com/ipod-breathalyzer.html

Posted by Ali on September 15, 2006 at 8:46 AM (CDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >