iCountdown beta for Windows released | iLounge News

iCountdown beta for Windows released

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Thursday, July 8, 2004
News Categories: Windows Software

iCountdown is a program for Windows that sits in your system tray and querys the Apple iTunes site for an updated total of downloads. When you hover your mouse over the icon it shows you the total. “I got the idea for the program from Brian (http://counter.eklektion.org/) who created a Mac program like iCountdown. I wouldn’t have thought of writing my own version had it not been for adamh and todd2fs4u who posted comments asking for a windows version of Brian’s 100MilCounter.”

« iLounge User Group meeting (July): iSkin and Griffin

Nine Figures for Mac released »

Comments

Great idea for us Windoze users, tried it but does not work on my machine Win XP home
Installs fine and runs but app window does not display anything?

Posted by Scott on July 8, 2004 at 9:48 AM (PDT)

Tried to install it, told me that it needed to update some files.  I pressed okay, then it said it needed to restart my computer and run setup again.  So I did this, but I run setup again and I am right where i started…

Posted by Jon on July 8, 2004 at 10:17 AM (PDT)

Cool, downloaded again, and it’s different and it works!!  (no install this time just a standalone)

Would be nice to have the tray icon back and some commas in the numbers, as well as number left in the tool tip for the tray icon but I’m being way to picky grin

Thanks very much to the developer!

Posted by Scott on July 8, 2004 at 3:24 PM (PDT)

This thing is popping up an ad for #### resellers.

SLEAZY.  Developer, you just put me completely off anything you ever write, and anything #### ever sells, for all time.

The least you should do is warn people the software has a pop-up component.

Posted by stark23x on July 8, 2004 at 3:34 PM (PDT)

Strange about the pop-up? I’ve been runnung it for 2+ hours and have not seen a pop-up??

Posted by Scott on July 8, 2004 at 4:17 PM (PDT)

Definitely not my software causing popups. It must be something else on your computer. There’s nothing I hate more that adware.

I’m working on getting the icon back and some other improvments. I’ll add remaining songs to the tool tip.

I’ve also been thinking of notifications once certain points have been reached (say, 99,000,000, 99,900,000, and such). Please post any more sugestions you may have! smile

Posted by mookie in Oklahoma on July 8, 2004 at 9:39 PM (PDT)

I just tried it and it just locks up on me. The status line says “Getting /main/includes/external_co…”. I am thinking it is attempting to get the total count from Apple. I’m at my office and we are behind a proxy server. I am thinking that you program doesn’t handle going through proxy servers. If you could add the ability to specify a proxy server, that’d be great.

Posted by Shadow on July 9, 2004 at 3:02 AM (PDT)

yeah! thank you mookie for stepping it up and takeing on the task of amiking the windows version. the only problem i have with your software is that my name is spelled wrong on your website.

Posted by todd2fst4u on July 9, 2004 at 9:04 AM (PDT)

Here comes antoher version (If only all software updates came out this fast:D ). Version 0.3 beta allows you to change many config options. And, best of all.. it has an icon again! :D
See http://iCountdown.mookie.org/ for more details.

Shadow: Yeah, the proxy would stop it. I’ll try to get proxy added to the next release (after the one I’m releasing today).

todd2fst4u: Changed smile

Posted by mookie in Oklahoma on July 9, 2004 at 10:31 AM (PDT)