Id Software releases Doom Resurrection for iPhone, iPod touch | iLounge News

Id Software releases Doom Resurrection for iPhone, iPod touch

image

Id Software has released Doom Resurrection, its first original game for the iPhone and iPod touch. Revealed in an interview earlier this month, the game’s storyline takes place alongside the story of Doom 3, but in a different location. Features include an accelerometer-based aiming system, eight levels, a wide variety of enemies and weapons, and four difficulty levels. Doom Resurrection is available now from the App Store and sells for $10.

« Miniot intros wooden pouch for iPhone 3G, 3GS

Apple agrees to Micro-USB for iPhone charging in EU »

Comments

I can’t wait to read some reviews of this. From the advance buzz, you would swear that Id was really promoting this as a console-quality type of game with great controls. If anyone plays this, give some feedback, please!

Posted by Flippy Hambone on June 29, 2009 at 2:17 PM (PDT)

I couldn’t resist!
I played Doom (and Duke Nukem and Marathon, etc.)  back in the day, so I bought it and played through the first level.

The graphics are quite good. The sounds are okay. The monsters are okay. it really is a trip back to the 90’s!

The gameplay itself is strange. You don’t really move around freely, so much as you’re pulled along, like an amusement park ride. You can’t back up or really turn around or change direction. If you pass a power-up and don’t tap on it to get it, you can’t go back.

Monsters appear (they growl) you spin to face them and fire away. It’s pretty lame, actually and surprisingly not very much fun. Maybe if I were 15 again… (my idea of hell!) ?

I can see that there are real limitations, hardware and control-wise on the iPhone/iPod touch platform. This really highlights them in not a great way.

I can see a great deal of work went into this, but for $10, I expected MUCH more!

Oh well. Maybe I’ll learn to like it better over time.

Posted by jeffharris on June 29, 2009 at 8:35 PM (PDT)

So its not a free-movement game but a moving-on-rails kind of game? That’s rather disappointing…I think I’ll save my cash for the release of the original Doom that’s being worked on, to complement my previous purchase of Wolf3D. ^_^

Posted by Daniel S. on June 29, 2009 at 8:59 PM (PDT)

Given what i saw on youtube, it looked pretty good, but the amusement park ride movement is a drawback. I think i’ll wait till Doom Classic to decide which one i should get

Posted by will on June 30, 2009 at 12:00 AM (PDT)

Yes, it’s completely on rails. It’s sort of House of the Dead meets Doom. In simply not just being Doom, that’s a disappointment.

That said, once I got past that (and that didn’t take long), I really started to enjoy it. The controls (again accepting it’s on rails) work really well and the game is timed and scripted well and I found the atmosphere to be rather tense.

While it’s probably not what we all want from a new Doom game, I think it’s a great game in its own right. At least, that’s what I’m thinking at the point I’m at right now. I haven’t finished it.

Posted by BeefJerky on June 30, 2009 at 12:30 AM (PDT)

The graphics are amazing and the sound is nicely done.

Naturally, I was surprised it was a rail shooter, but based on ID’s comments, it’s possible that they’ll update the game to make it more free-moving… after all, they strongly hinted at multi, and you can’t do that on rails.

Posted by kevin on June 30, 2009 at 5:51 AM (PDT)

Maybe I’m alone in this, but I’d much rather se companies try and make unique experiences that lend themselves to the portable nature of a phone rather then try and shoehorn a console or PC game into this severely limited format.

With nothing but touch controls there really isn’t anywhere to go with games like this. In my opinion anyway. If you love portable games like this more power to you. I’ll rather be playing them on my TV with a controller.

Posted by ort on June 30, 2009 at 7:49 AM (PDT)

...AND having said all that I bought the game anyway… and… it’s actually pretty fun.

It’s not really a console experience on the go, it really is DOOM dumbed down to the most basic elements and hacked up into 30 second chunks of fun.

It’s a decent portable game.

Posted by ort on July 1, 2009 at 7:09 AM (PDT)

I’m with you, ort. I decided to go ahead and download it, and I actually like the fresh approach. You can’t really characterize this as an FPS. It reminds me of an old coin-op game called Area 51 that was strictly on-rails but offered up a nice little challenge because you had enemies attacking from all sides.

I think it’s a good effort generally. Might not be worth $10, to be honest, but it’s definitely a quality title and possibly the basis for a good franchise for the iPhone.

Posted by Flippy Hambone on July 1, 2009 at 12:24 PM (PDT)