iDOS returns to the App Store
FastIntelligence has re-released its iDOS virtual DOS application onto the App Store in the form of an update. Originally released last November, the original version of iDOS was a DOS emulator for iOS devices that allowed users to run old PC DOS based applications ranging from Doom to Windows 3.1 on an iOS device. Applications were loaded onto the device over USB using the iTunes File Sharing feature and a simple DOS prompt and virtual keyboard was provided to extract and run DOS commands and applications transferred to the device. The application was removed from the App Store after only a day, presumably for violation of Apple’s App Store policies against running external code in iOS applications.
Late last night iDOS 2.0.1 appeared as an update for owners of the previous version with the significant change that the iTunes File Sharing feature has been removed, preventing users from installing their own external code. Instead, the package includes a number of DOS freeware/shareware games from 3D Realms including Wolfenstein 3D, Major Striker, Duke Nukem I and II, SuperNova and Kingdom of Kroz II. The update also adds a simplified game launcher so users are not required to use the DOS command-line and a virtual gamepad/joystick within the app. Improvements have also been made to landscape view and Bluetooth keyboard support for text-based games has been added. iDOS 2.0.1 is available from the App Store as a free download. Users of iDOS 1.0 may wish to back up their existing version before downloading the update.
- AG Drive, Delectable Wines, Google Maps + more
- Dropbox, Google Play Music, Microsoft Office Apps, Microsoft Outlook, NBC + more
- Apps: ESPN, Nike+ Fuel, Pinterest, Starbucks + Twitter
- Apple cracks down on gun and violence imagery in App Store screenshots
- Apple readmits marijuana-related app to App Store
- iPhone theft decline attributed to Activation Lock feature
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Apple reportedly streamlining Genius Bar experience
- Report: Apple acquires Camel Audio
- VISA ‘tokenization’ may speed Apple Pay EU deployment
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?
- What can I actually share with Family Sharing in iOS 8?