iFixit offers free iPod disassembly guides, iPod parts | iLounge News

iFixit offers free iPod disassembly guides, iPod parts

image

iFixit, a company known for its do-it-yourself Mac computer repair guides, has posted a series of free iPod disassembly guides online. iFixit has also announced a large iPod parts store with over 100 parts and upgrades. iFixit has guides covering first through fifth generation iPods, the iPod mini, the iPod shuffle, and iPod nano.

« Mustek rolls out new iPod speaker systems

Insurers begin covering claims for digital music »

Comments

cool. i might try that, i need a bigger harddrive and my battery is going to hell.

Posted by LC Angell on September 11, 2006 at 5:59 PM (CDT)

I just tried the “change a hard drive” section of this site. It is too simplistic. Yeah, it is easy to follow, but once you pull out the hard drive, it just says to follow the instructions in reverse to put in the new one. That is great if you are installing a hard drive that is pre-loaded with the ipod software, but what about a blank hard drive? What if you just went out and bought a big laptop HD figuring you could make some monster 200 gig iPod? This site tells you how to put it in the case, but then what?

Posted by LC Angell on September 11, 2006 at 6:28 PM (CDT)

I would assume you simply Plug it in and run iPod Updator.  Then format the drive w/ the iPod software.

Posted by LC Angell on September 11, 2006 at 8:08 PM (CDT)

Victor, you can upgrade the iPod’s hard drive to a larger one, but you can’t use a 2.5” laptop drive (they’re too big). I believe that you have to have an Apple logo hard drive. The drives that we sell are pre-formatted, but you can format a blank new drive yourself using Apple’s iPod Updater utility (http://www.apple.com/ipod/download).

Also note that you have to have a hard drive that’s the right thickness (they come in 8mm and 5mm). You can put a 5mm drive in an iPod that already has a 8mm drive, but not the other way around.

-Kyle
CEO, iFixit

Posted by LC Angell on September 11, 2006 at 8:15 PM (CDT)

can i buy a replacement rear section for a 60 gb ipod video and a 60 gb hard drive to upgrade my 30 gb ipod?

Posted by LC Angell on September 11, 2006 at 11:55 PM (CDT)

Hi, are there any UK based companies that offer a similar service? I have a 5th Gen Ipod and the front and back cases are fairly scratched up. It would be great to get them replaced, but it would be even better to find a reputable UK company that offer the service.

Posted by LC Angell on September 12, 2006 at 7:59 AM (CDT)

Hello, I have an Ipod 5th geneaciĆ³n 60 gb, which gives me an error when you sync with iTunes, and will not let me copy music, after ejecting it from itunes, as I left block indicated on the screen “do not disconnect” and I have to wait until the battery runs out, I tried to reset it without much success, as they have been songs, “Any help or comments?

Posted by LC Angell on September 1, 2009 at 5:07 PM (CDT)

can you send me an email on how to fix my 30gb ipod video. everytime i turn it on it makes a tweaking sound. i think my hdd and battery is the problem. also how to change and troubleshoot hdd and battery. thanks.

Posted by LC Angell on December 8, 2009 at 4:48 AM (CST)