iH5 alarm clock radio for iPod announced | iLounge News

iH5 alarm clock radio for iPod announced

image

imageThe iHome division of SDI Technologies has announced the iH5 clock radio, which lets you wake up to music from your iPod, an AM/FM radio or buzzer. With its built-in iPod cradle, the iH5 charges your iPod while docked, and sports a backlit LCD screen, and line-in to connect non-docking iPods and other audio players.

The iH5 also features “Gentle Wake and Gentle Sleep,” which “gradually increases and decreases Alarm/Sleep volume for a more relaxing beginning and end to each day,” and utilizes Reason8 speaker technology to create “sound quality that has outstanding depth, clarity and power.” The iH5 works with the 3G/4G iPod, iPod mini and iPod photo. iLounge was told the iH5 will be available in August for $99.99, and that a website for the product will go live later this week.

« Update on Apple vs. Thought Out dispute

AudioOutfitters offers clearCase for iPod photos »

Comments

Can you choose what song you wake up to?

Posted by Tim on June 14, 2005 at 8:55 AM (PDT)

What a cool idea, got to get me self one.

Posted by Lee Watts on June 14, 2005 at 9:05 AM (PDT)

iLike!

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on June 14, 2005 at 9:30 AM (PDT)

That’s cool. I just wish more clock radios included a simple line in port. This is the one of a very few and is the cheapest by a lot.

Hope is sounds good.

Posted by klwdallas in Dallas, TX on June 14, 2005 at 9:43 AM (PDT)

SOLD!!!
i got really sick of using the same clock radio i’ve had for at least 15 years. i set up my ipod as an alarm using altec lansing speakers, but it can’t take the place of my alarm clock because it doesnt have a large display i can read.
i’ll definitely be picking one of these up. will they come in black?

Posted by mdwsta4 on June 14, 2005 at 10:23 AM (PDT)

oops. sorry to post again. does this alarm clock have a snooze function?!
do the clock’s numbers always stay lit or do you have to hit a backlight button to view them?
is there a website that has more info? or a place you can pre-order?

Posted by mdwsta4 on June 14, 2005 at 10:25 AM (PDT)

I think I would end up throwing my iPod, rather than a $9.99 clock…

Posted by minty on June 14, 2005 at 11:45 AM (PDT)

I can see it now…“Where is that bloody snooze button?” Crash, boom, bam goes my iPod, tumbling to the floor. Ouch…

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on June 14, 2005 at 1:14 PM (PDT)

Oooohhh that is a good idea.

If it sounds good as the AND works as a decent clock radio, I am totally sold, especially at that price. Can’t wait.

Posted by podbilly on June 15, 2005 at 8:17 AM (PDT)

So now I can clear off my very cluttered nightstand a bit. I can move the speakers somewhere else in my apartment and just have this. About time.

Posted by feinb on June 15, 2005 at 12:10 PM (PDT)

Here’s a link to pre-order it:

Posted by Kutibah Chihabi on June 15, 2005 at 7:59 PM (PDT)

Check this out! hey have you messed with Tava’s ipod yet??

Posted by cheo on June 16, 2005 at 5:10 AM (PDT)

Finally! a product with what look like real speakers, not those silly little shiny drivers that you see in everything else. They look like about two inch speakers, lets hope the audio quality is something to crow about.

Posted by iFreeek on June 16, 2005 at 7:34 AM (PDT)

I just bought one yesterday at Target (maybe they shouldn’t be selling it yet?).  The sound is good - not Bose quality, but definitely good.  So far I have been very impressed, especially given the price point.  The alarm function worked great and plays ipod well, along with the radio options.  It is much betty at pulling in FM signals than other desk top radios I’ve had.

As far as waking up to a specific song ont he iPod - Yes.  Just set the iPod to play that song before you dock it.

I would definitely recommend buying to remote control.  I don’t have it, but it appears that you can control to iPod songs without it.  Instead, once docked, the iHome simply plays what the iPod has programmed - the iPod controls are deactivated.  With the remote, you can skip, rewind and fast forward ...

The lighted is great - all the radio buttons have the same amber color as my 3G iPod.  Display is easy to read and has three dimmer settings.

All in all, buy the remote and it seems like it’ll be a great add.

Posted by The Chuck on June 20, 2005 at 6:55 AM (PDT)

i would like to purchase asap.

Posted by celine on June 24, 2005 at 3:48 AM (PDT)

great idea, but $100 seems a little pricey

Posted by dannycohen62 on June 24, 2005 at 6:16 AM (PDT)

Hey Chuck—did you find it at a regular Target or Super Target?  I’ve been trying to hunt it down at all the nearby Targets but no luck so far :(.  Going to try two more tomorrow!!

Posted by Shawn on June 28, 2005 at 8:29 PM (PDT)

Yeah, I just saw this at Target, and it looks great.  (Regular Target, btw, not SuperTarget.)  Its $125 there, and $100 on Amazon.  When I can find it some place for about $80, I’ll definitely snap one up.

Posted by jjmpdx on July 3, 2005 at 11:15 PM (PDT)

Also: Check out the photo of the young hipster in his posh loft that’s printed on the box. The view outside his window is of downtown Portland.  Judging by the view, he must be a neighbor of mine!  If I see him, I’ll ask for a product review grin

Posted by jjmpdx on July 4, 2005 at 1:21 AM (PDT)

Alright Lads, I’m in sunny old blighty and am wondering if this is only 120V or also 240V. If it can be used over here then I think I’ll have to find someone to ship one to me. Pronto!!

Posted by Pockets on July 4, 2005 at 2:19 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >