iHome clock radio for iPod now available in black | iLounge News

iHome clock radio for iPod now available in black

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, December 12, 2005
News Categories: iPod Accessories

imageThe iHome iH5 clock radio is the latest iPod accessory to be offered in a black version to match the latest iPods. The iH5—which lets you wake up to music from your iPod, an AM/FM radio or buzzer—features a built-in iPod cradle, stereo speakers, a backlit LCD screen and line-in to connect non-docking iPods and other audio players. The $100 device also charges your iPod while docked. It works with any dockable iPod, including the fifth-generation iPod and iPod nano. In addition, previous owners of the white iHome can now order cradle inserts ($6) for the iPod nano or cradle cushions ($3) for the 5G iPod.

« iLounge Dashboard Widget updated

iPod accessory market booming »

Comments

good, I’m glad they made a black version because I was interested in the product, but only if it came in black.

Posted by Zaki on December 12, 2005 at 8:37 AM (PDT)

how do i sync my oulook express address book to my ipod?

Posted by Pat on December 12, 2005 at 8:38 AM (PDT)

cool cool! Hey Pat, I think this is the wrong area to be asking that buddy lol try the forums

Posted by matrixsjd on December 12, 2005 at 12:59 PM (PDT)

I wonder if they toned down the backlight yet.  I own the white model and LOVE everything about it, EXCEPT that backlight, on its lowest setting, lights up my whole room at night.  My wife makes me cover it up.

Otherwise…great product.

Posted by jeff on December 12, 2005 at 12:59 PM (PDT)

I almost bought one of these to go with my new iPod. I just wish it had a USB port on it so it could sync, too. My computer is right by my alarmclock, would have been perfect.

Posted by Kevin on December 12, 2005 at 1:28 PM (PDT)

I bought this when I had a 4G iPod and it worked great.  I have since upgraded to a 5G and have had a lot of problems, such as setting the alarm to use the iPod when it goes off, and instead it beeps.  It’s also very flaky with playing the iPod for a couple of seconds, shutting off and then a couple seconds later beeping.  I contacted customer support, but haven’t gotten a resolution yet.

5G owners, beware!

Posted by cji on December 12, 2005 at 2:23 PM (PDT)

Hmm… I wonder if they will let me trade in my (almost) brand new white one, for a black one.

Posted by dtran on December 12, 2005 at 2:59 PM (PDT)

Does it also include the remote control as well as the nano and 5G inserts?

Posted by wco81 in West Coast on December 12, 2005 at 9:29 PM (PDT)

Regarding the beeping, I had one for a week. The iHome beeps when the sound from the iPod is too low. I believe this is a “feature” to ensure that you will get woken up. However there is a middle ground which is completely lost since one has no control over the volume settings.

Most people like to wake up gently and to that end create playlists featuring soft music followed by louder music. The iHome makes this impossible by cranking up the volume, or by ignoring low signals.

This is very easily fixed, and i hope to see them release a new revision of the product. I won’t be buying one until they do.

Posted by mike in boston or toronto on December 13, 2005 at 6:20 AM (PDT)

Actually, I figured out what the problem is.  The iHome has problems controlling the play/pause function of the 5G (at least mine).  Meaning, I set up the alarm to go off with the iPod.  At the set time, it does go off, using the iPod.  I then hit the snooze button, which is supposed to pause the iPod until the next alarm.  Well, there’s the problem.  The iHome doesn’t pause the iPod when I hit snooze.  It turns off the volume from the iPod, but the iPod still plays.  So when the next alarm goes off, instead of hitting play, it hits pause.  And the iHome thinks there’s no iPod so it beeps instead.  Now the iPod is paused, so the next alarm goes off (I hit snooze a lot) and it hits play again.  So, every other alarm that goes off beeps instead of playing the iPod.

Posted by cji on December 13, 2005 at 7:28 AM (PDT)

Anyone know if they plan to come out with a version that includes radio station presets?  I’m surprised that they didn’t include that feature to begin with, but perhaps there’s some reason they didn’t that relates to something or other that I would never understand so why do I bother thinking about it, eh?

Anyway, it’d be nice to have that feature, and I won’t buy one until they do.  That’ll teach ‘em!

Posted by Mike on December 15, 2005 at 10:12 AM (PDT)

I got one of the (white version) for Christmas and absolutely love it. Works perfectly for me however i have a 4th Generation iPod so i guess no problems were expected. Anyways, just thought i’d add my 2 cents to just help any potential buyers decide. Good Product.

Posted by Chris on December 25, 2005 at 10:18 PM (PDT)

I have these speakers and the only minus is that i got them before they came with nano inserts, i had to buy the insert for $5.99…besides that they are pretty good.

Posted by james on December 26, 2005 at 8:35 AM (PDT)

Is it possible to add addition speakers or a subwoofer through the line in/out?

Posted by Neal on December 27, 2005 at 4:37 PM (PDT)

Can those people who have had problems with brightness, wake up volume, as well as the glitches associated with the 5G tell us if they have the Version 1 or 2 of the iHome?  To find out which version you have go to the bottom of the FAQ page here:

Thanks!

Posted by Casey on December 30, 2005 at 10:56 AM (PDT)

Please follow the following link regarding the details of the black iH5 with pics

Posted by C-Dub on January 4, 2006 at 11:09 PM (PDT)

bump

Posted by bob on January 7, 2006 at 5:39 AM (PDT)

The back light and the beeping buttons make this alarm clock not useful. We are taking it back. We tried to like it, we wanted to like it, real bad, but the sounds and lights make it worthless.

Posted by Emily on January 11, 2006 at 8:46 PM (PDT)

received iHome5 clock radio for preseent. Radio and time OK. cannot get ipod to work The correct insert is in place. What shall I do?

Posted by gladys ulrich on January 14, 2006 at 12:35 PM (PDT)

Please, I just received the Ih5 as a Christmas present from the US, to go with my Ipod. The problem is that I live in london and the converter that came with it is a two pin plug with the US iHOME CLASS 2 POWER SUPPLY, MODEL :U150110D43. INPUT :120VAC 60Hz 24W. OUTPUT :15VDC 1100mA
Please can you recommend or advice what I can use as an alternative.
Charles Agwu (Lonon)

Posted by Charles Agwu on January 14, 2006 at 2:00 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >