iHome debuts more AirPlay speakers: iW2, iW3 join iW1
Immediately prior to the start of the 2011 CES, leading Apple speaker and alarm clock developer iHome unexpectedly debuted two new AirPlay wireless speakers, adding to the iTunes and iOS stereo receiver family started by the as-yet-unreleased $300 iW1. Continuing the iW1’s clean lines, the iW2 and iW3 sport black cloth front and side grilles with glossy plastic and metal accents, reducing the size of their physical enclosures to hold smaller drivers—two or four in the case of iW2, and four in iW3, tweeters firing forwards with bass drivers firing to the sides. Both the wide iW2 and tall iW3 remove the capacitive buttons on top in favor of physical counterparts, similarly dropping the iW1’s rechargeable battery and charging base in favor of mandatory wall power adapters. While the iW2 retains the flat, oval shape of the iW1, the iW3 features a taller, squared design. Other shared features between the two units include Wi-Fi, Ethernet ports—unique to the iW2 and iW3—plus USB connectivity for an iPod/iPhone/iPad dock, auxiliary audio inputs, and highly simplified wireless network setup with a free downloadable application.
iW2 and iW3 do not have final prices yet, but are targeted for the $200 price range, which would make them the most affordable AirPlay wireless speakers available. They are expected to be launched in Summer or Fall of 2011. Additional photographs of iW1, iW2, and iW3 are available here.
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1.1 update for Windows
- Report: Details on Apple’s upcoming Beats-based streaming service
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1 update, adds Notification Center widget
- Apple responds to EU iTunes refund abuse
- InCarBite, Marshall/Urbanears + Peri
- Kanex, Macally, Oaxis + Standzout
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, subscribe now
- Cook: Apple Watch ‘designed to be able to replace car keys’
- Apple again under fire as Ericsson escalates legal action
- Apple announces ‘Spring Forward’ event for March 9
- Brikk unveils opulent Apple Watch line priced up to $75,000
- Apple Maps adds new third-party data providers
- Apple ordered to pay $532.9m in iTunes patent infringement case
- Apple reportedly streamlining Genius Bar experience
- Report: Apple acquires Camel Audio
- VISA ‘tokenization’ may speed Apple Pay EU deployment
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- NewerTech NuGuard KX for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Incipio Clarion and Faraday for iPad Air 2
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?
- What can I actually share with Family Sharing in iOS 8?