iHome debuts more AirPlay speakers: iW2, iW3 join iW1
Immediately prior to the start of the 2011 CES, leading Apple speaker and alarm clock developer iHome unexpectedly debuted two new AirPlay wireless speakers, adding to the iTunes and iOS stereo receiver family started by the as-yet-unreleased $300 iW1. Continuing the iW1’s clean lines, the iW2 and iW3 sport black cloth front and side grilles with glossy plastic and metal accents, reducing the size of their physical enclosures to hold smaller drivers—two or four in the case of iW2, and four in iW3, tweeters firing forwards with bass drivers firing to the sides. Both the wide iW2 and tall iW3 remove the capacitive buttons on top in favor of physical counterparts, similarly dropping the iW1’s rechargeable battery and charging base in favor of mandatory wall power adapters. While the iW2 retains the flat, oval shape of the iW1, the iW3 features a taller, squared design. Other shared features between the two units include Wi-Fi, Ethernet ports—unique to the iW2 and iW3—plus USB connectivity for an iPod/iPhone/iPad dock, auxiliary audio inputs, and highly simplified wireless network setup with a free downloadable application.
iW2 and iW3 do not have final prices yet, but are targeted for the $200 price range, which would make them the most affordable AirPlay wireless speakers available. They are expected to be launched in Summer or Fall of 2011. Additional photographs of iW1, iW2, and iW3 are available here.
- Apple Music service to include social pages for artists
- Apple streaming music service to provide limited free listening options
- OpenTV sues Apple for alleged patent infringement
- Report: Apple still missing key music streaming deals in time for WWDC debut
- Apple vying for artist exclusives for streaming music service; family plan?
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1.2 with OS X Photos app support
- Upcoming kit will allow developers to build native Apple Watch apps
- Apple may debut new ‘Proactive’ assistant with iOS 9
- Google Search will soon surface content from iOS apps
- iOS bug allows peculiar string of characters in Messages to reboot iPhones
- iOS 9 Transit feature to launch in select cities
- Report: iOS 9 to feature Force Touch support, updated keyboard
- Microsoft confirms Cortana coming to iOS this year
- Apple creates Chief Design Officer role for Jony Ive
- Report: iOS 9 will bring new security features, improve legacy device support
- Report: Apple’s push for local content may delay Apple’s TV service
- Griffin WatchStand for Apple Watch
- Apple iPhone Lightning Dock
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- AKG Y50 On-Ear Headphones
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?